WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Barbara, thanks! My recipe? I cheat. Its Bisqick! 1 cup mix, 1/3 c milk, mix and plop into simmering soup. 10 minutes uncovered, 10 minutes covered. Voila!
    ( With Bisquick you have to say Voila...💖).
    💖Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    bananasandoranges, let me clarify. My pen pals are people I have started writing to since last summer when I joined a snail mail Facebook group. We rent and race about all kinds of things. I have gals my same age for the most part and from all parts of the US, ( some international pals). When you write to a military person you have to be careful and if you do write about a problem, also write how you resolved it. They feel helpless enough, and not being home to fix it can create stress. I figured not harping on my son about not communicating was a stress he didn't need. 👍
    💖Rebecca
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    I try to make my fiber and protein minimums but don't worry about the rest. On a 1200 calorie budget, it mostly works out to 50 protein/25 carb/25 fat. I think that's low carb but not keto. It works when I stick to it, but not when I overdo the sweets. No surprise there!

I've been in bed half the day. Might be coming down with something. My legs are achy, so I'm skipping the gym. Hope this passes.

Annie in Delaware
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Took the deep water class. The plan for tomorrow is to do the 10MS Blast Off Belly Fat DVD

Tracey – if it’s hard to keep up and work…well..you know what should be done….lol Glad it wasn’t a heart attack for Rodger and that he sees the importance of taking care of himself. That’ll also make it easier for you

Heather – we had this spot at the condo where I wanted an end table next to the bed. Before this we’d been using a chair. Well, I found some at this junkyard. They buy things at estate sales. I got the part that goes next to the bed. Now I’m sorry I didn’t take the hamper that matched. It would have matched the condo colors.

Has anyone else noticed that lately there have been fewer and fewer things on sale and fewer and fewer coupons? Also, that they seem to have shorter expiration dates

Lisa AR – what sorts of things can you make with that small loom? A scarf maybe?

Exercised, stopped at the Salvation Army to see what they had (didn’t get anything) then stopped at one of the gyms that I go to so they can get me on the Silver & Fit, then bought gas, then to Target to get more litter, bought honey (I like it because it’s VERY local), then the soup kitchen, then Food Lion to get meat for dinner tonight, now home.

They had a ham & cheese sandwich with broccoli soup and chocolate cake at the soup kitchen. I think Miss Sourpuss just wants to stay away from me (which is fine by me). She asked me where I was working. I could have been snarky and said "look on the board”, but I was nice and just said “#3”. Perhaps she feels that wherever I am, that’s where she shouldn’t be.

Regarding traveling: Vince did a lot of traveling when he worked – I stayed home with the kids. Now that he’s retired, he doesn’t like to travel, he’s more of a homebody. I do wish we traveled more, but I really don’t want to travel by myself. So I’ve just accepted this

Lucy NC – I’m sure that not wanting to throw something out is from my childhood. We were always told to clean our plate. But one of the good things about eating as a child, we very seldom had pies/cakes/cookies, etc for dessert. Dessert was almost always a piece of fruit. Not that I never had sweets, just that that wasn’t a regular thing in my family, fruit was the regular thing. It really surprised me when I started dating Vince and their desserts were always cake/pie/ice cream, etc.

Pip – how maddening!

I felt really bad. There was this one lady at the soup kitchen who I served, she left, but then she came back. Seems she couldn’t breathe. When I asked her if she had an inhaler she said “I can’t afford it”. When I got my inhaler it was only $10 but that might have been because I had insurance. Maybe she doesn’t. She seems like a really nice lady, I just felt bad that she couldn’t afford an inhaler.

I’m on hold right now with CVS Caremark. They are going to fill a prescription of mine but not the one I need filled. Why is it so difficult to talk to a person??? Update: I was told that they're waiting for a payment from me, if I don't pay they won't send out the prescription, which suits me just fine since I don't need it. I did call the doctor's office and explained how I won't be getting anything from them but to please call in a prescription to my local pharmacy and I will pick it up. This home delivery is such a PITA that I don't even want to be bothered any more.

Katla – you should see how Vince has the decorations! Remember, he’s somewhat OCD. I can’t even begin to tell you how many totes we have. Each tote has a label on it telling you what’s inside the tote. Plus, he built these “shelves” to put them on out of PVC pipe.

I wouldn’t even try keto. Like you, Tina, I love my fruits and veggies too much

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @Machka9 it's great that your DH get worker's comp. no compensation enough for sure, but better to have it than not to have it. I thought I remembered you being limited in travel. might they make a definitive ruling at some point that he's unlikely to work again and thus freeing him from (I assume) being around in cases some theoretically appropriate job arises. it seems weird that the worker's comp is not nation-wide, as Tasmania is part of Aussie but I guess it must be like the states where different states are really dividing lines and not like France where everything is very national. Have you seen some nice places in Tasmania?

They've had an neurosurgeon from New Zealand come over to do an assessment. He has stated the my husband has next to no chance of working again. So they know ... but they keep him on the compensation and keep reducing the payments anyway (that's supposed to be an incentive to get back to work) according to the worker's comp law.

The law is written for people who have tweaked their backs, sprained an ankle or have carpel tunnel syndrome ... not for people with long-term/life long injuries.

Worker's comp is state not federal.

And yes ... we've seen much of Tasmania. :)

M in Oz
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Michele-We don’t have insurance and my inhaler cost 80.00,but I went on goodrx (years ago) and got a coupon for 20 at Walmart.The lady at the pharmacy counter said she Doubted it would honor the coupon,but it did.
    Debby in Va
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Tracey-sorry your husband has had health issues. I went through many of those with my husband. He would go through short spells of taking care of himself, but had trouble sustaining. Also, it seemed like anything he got (even a cold), he was always convinced was worse than anyone else had. I hope it continues to focus on getting things in line. You also keep mentioning your hip pain-have you had it checked out? My hip pain progressed to bone-on-bone arthritis and I now have two hip replacements (which I do not regret). Perhaps some physical therapy may help?

Machka-you are such a free spirit. You are thinking of retiring to a foreign country and I am have difficulty deciding if I want to move from Ohio to Arizona to be close to kids/grandkids! Is there any chance that they will move your husband from Worker’s Comp to a true disability?

Rebecca-my mother, who was most excellent cook, used bisquick for any number of things. It’s really a pretty versatile product. Never been enough of a letter writer to do pen pals like you are, but it does sound interesting.Hope your son responds to letter.

Julie-I love my shredder. I realized quite a bit of what I was keeping around was papers I didn’t want to put in trash. I have reduced my home files greatly, but have more work to do. And those at work are a completely different story . . . .

Pip-stealing a headlight does seem strange. I once had someone steal a back wheel from my bike. I just chalk such things up to I don’t understand people sometimes.

Kylia-it is indeed raining again in Ohio. And lucky me-it was raining in Arizona when I was there!

Michelle NC-many people can’t afford things like inhalers without insurance. And even with insurance, the co-pays can be excessive. Makes me very grateful for the insurance I have.

Had good day at work. Need to finish drafting some documents over weekend for union negotiations on Monday but know what I need to put in. Went to grocery after work today. I am helping set up and serve a funeral lunch at church tomorrow so will be there for 5 hours or so. I really don't mind because I remember how meaningful and helpful the funeral luncheon was after my husband's funeral, so it feels like paying it back.

Trying a new cabbage soup recipe this weekend. Just decided having homemade soup on had was a good idea. My husband used to make a basic one with some regularity but I am making myself try new things. Will also make some balsamic chicken breasts in crock pot. Son and girlfriend are coming over Sunday to visit, so I may just make up both right after church (early service only this week) and let them choose if they want one of those for late lunch or if we want to go out and get something.

Didn't sleep overly well last night (stupid time zone changes). Finishing cup of tea then heading in to read and hopefully sleep well.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    🤗
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Yvonne - the plague???

I'm having fun with my IP. You would think I was a kid with a new toy. Tried making short ribs tonight. I had always heard that you can sear meat and then cook it. Well, I seared the short ribs and when I went to cook them, I got a "food burn" message. So I opened the pot. Nope, there was liquid, none of the ribs were burning. So I tried it again. Same message. I wondered if perhaps when you sear meat little bits of the meat stick to the bottom of the pan and perhaps that is what the pot thought was burning and so it wouldn't continue cooking. I took the meat and juice out, cleaned the pot, and had no problem at all cooking the meat.

I'm thinking that tomorrow night I want to try yogurt again. My IP comes with a different inner ring (is that what it's called?). They say that you should use a different ring when you make yogurt so that the flavor of something else doesn't get into the yogurt. Now I'll see just how much of the flavor will get into the yogurt.

Michele NC