WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    HeatherUK-that is great advice, and where I am stuck. The Phoenix area is so large. I have trouble picturing myself driving on the interstates out there (they are crazy). I prefer being based in a smaller town. My son has suggested just coming out and spending longer periods and keeping my house here. I think he and wife do worry about me being here on my own as I age (I am currently very self sufficient!) and them not being able to assist from a distance. My younger son, who lives about an hour away in Columbus, is just now settling down in what looks like may be long-term relationship, but they are also discussing possibly moving out to Arizona. If they do indeed go there it would influence my thinking more. I only have one brother living in this area now. Don't care to move to areas where other brothers live now (Atlanta and Florida). Luckily it is not a decision that needs made today. I will just continue to put myself in a position where I can move in several directions. Having house "sale" ready is not a bad thing. Will go out there a couple of more times this year and check out housing, etc.

Julie-I am actually the director for our agency. It is a public service agency. Staff voted to form union a number of years ago. Laws have changed regarding this and staff are talking about not being part of it any more. The contract ended Dec. 31 for we are renegotiating for next three years. Pay is always biggest issue, but we are limited by government funding.

As of this am almost all of the vacation/holiday bloat is gone. Am up slightly over maintenance goal. It is funny how a couple of pounds feels different. Also good getting back to my normal movement/exercise routine. Off to get a few things done before heading to church.

Enjoy Saturday!

Ginny in Ohio
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    There's a question in the Fitness Forum:

What was your surprise accomplishment for 2019?

Mine:

Probably the half marathon I ran last January!!

I'm a cyclist, especially a long distance cyclists ... I've dabbled in running now and then, but didn't really expect to ever actually run anything as long as a half marathon!

Machka in Oz

Anyone else?

What was your surprise accomplishment for 2019?

M in Oz

My most surprising accomplishment? Probably living! When the doctor admitted me on the 10th for blood loss he said I was critical. Records show that while I was in the hospital that I was losing more than a pint a day and that wasn't at my worst. The surprise was I didn't know that I was dying (along with the cancer of course). The accomplishment was that I lived! Woo hoo!

That's a good one!

My word for 2020? Maybe restoration. I'm exactly 3 weeks past the emergency hysterectomy due to excessive bleeding as well as cancer. I'm still trying to figure out all of this but I'm getting there. I keep getting hit by realities like writing things like "I was dying," or "I have cancer." It's emotional, but I'm regrouping and I'm going to get there!

Are you talking to anyone ... my husband has found that meeting with a group of brain injury survivors and carers now and then helps.

Machka in Oz

I've joined a couple of online support group. But everything's so new and I'm in recovery. I hope to find a fairly local group but know if I will be able to just because I'm so rural. Thanks for the input.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did 10MS Blast Off Belly Fat DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Leslie Sansone DVD.

Tracey – I firmly believe that things do happen for a reason and sometimes it takes a long time for us to realize why things happen. It took me over 30 years to realize why God took my mother when I was so young.

M - do you mean that should I buy one and give it to her? That’s insurance fraud. Can I give her mine after I use it since I probably won’t use it all up? I wouldn’t. In case she were to have a reaction to the medicine, she could sue me and it just isn’t worth it. I don’t know her well enough to say that she won’t sue me. Actually, someone you know could suddenly become sue-happy. That’s really crummy that the pensions stopped. I guess I never thought about that.

Welcome everyone new and those returning.

As for living near grandchildren – I love PJ, but I have no desire to move to DE. NC is my home, there are my friends (I know I can make new friends in DE), people are much nicer in NC than in DE (I saw this when I stayed with Denise after PJ was born), not to mention the weather, there is no way we could afford the house we have in DE – no way. For these and other reasons, I have no desire to move to DE. I don’t feel comfortable there at all. To me, there isn’t much to do, at least not much that I’m interested in.

Ginny – one of the absolute best things we ever did when we moved from PA to NC was to rent an apartment first. Like I thought for sure I wanted to live in the area where our apartment was. After living there, I realized that I don’t want to live there, I wanted to be closer to the mall and other things. I would firmly recommend someone who is making a big move to rent first. Also, we were looking at houses before we rented. It’s hard relating the house to the amenities around it. After you rent, you can look at houses at your leisure. When you are looking at houses from OH, you just don’t get a good feel. Plus, you are under pressure to buy a house. So many Newcomers who moved here from other states have said to us “I wish I’d rented before we bought.”

Suziq – it’ not that I don’t want a Roomba, but I don’t need it right now. It would be nice to have, but I don’t feel that it’s an absolute must. I would buy it myself if I absolutely had to have it right now, but that’s not the case. Thanks for that link. I found it very interesting, but really, no much new. I do like the Mediterranean and think that I for the most part follow this plan. I wish Vince would want to limit red meat, but I do limit how much we eat. I make more chicken, pork and fish but don’t really make a big point of it. Like we’ll probably have a lot of fish leftovers after the dinner tomorrow. Well, I’d bought the food when I thought Denise, Pete and PJ would be here but since they aren’t coming, I’ll have extra food. Most of it I will freeze and I know that I’ll want to clean out the freezer so we’ll be having more fish.

Barbara – feel better fast

Wednesday Lynette talked about going out to dinner tonight since Jess is here and we’d gotten gift certificates to Ruby Tuesday (that’s one of the places she likes). Personally, I’m not a big one for going out to eat so I’m not going to pursue arranging a time.

I had some olive oil, it expired in 2021. To me, it had a funny smell so I figured the oil went rancid. So I bought a new bottle. It also has that same smell. Guess that’s how olive oil is supposed to smell. Oh well…I didn’t throw out very much at all of the old stuff.

Made the orzo for the shrimp orzo salad for tomorrow (it needs to sit so that the flavors blend). Think I’ll go to Aldi since it looks like we’ll need another cucumber and I need to get a few other things.

Michele NC
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    o3m7m7ukqf0i.jpeg
    fpvpf6gsvu33.jpeg
    Kids Living Room - Adults common area living room is up the step area y another formal one that’s been left vacant near kitchen.

CW:149.8
    SW:195
    SW when Daughter arrived 149
    CW when Daughter leaves after restaurants galore more than I thought we would do ... 2 more days will see.So far so good.

Thrift shop- Also bought JR hangers to organizers pop up kind.
    Walmart- more organizers for JR
    Family- vacuum seal bags to out under his bed 🛌.

So that’s my next thing to tackle after Daughter removing tree y closet organization.
    Yesterday organized living room .

Learned at restaurants
    Hamburger 🍔 combo meals $$$ looks cheap unless you want fries y a drink.
    Salads run $8-$9 at many restaurants unless you find a side salad.
    The total for 4 Adults y 1 tiny 2yr old is ridiculous! $50-$70 a pop! That’s with coupons galore y gift cards (Sam’s club to pay $40 for a $50 card).
    Drinks are separate cost now even at sit down ones. $4-$5 unless you were smart enough to go to McDonald’s $1-$2
    Fudruckers Salad is 500+ calories before dressing! The hamburger with no fries is less!
    Way more sugarfree y no calories drink options than before at many restaurants
    Lot more veggies at buffets

Think next year will try different restaurants. Some were disappointing a few others good but exspensive. Only a couple will make the cut again.

My clothes size after Daughter helped me figure out all my sizes. We use the I’m a so you must be a scale lol 😂. We have same body shape. Panties 6- 7,Pants 10,shirt Large, y Bra a 40D/DD,sketchers shoes 9-9.5.

So after JR my feet y too half grew. Almost in my old clothes sizes again.

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,667 Member
    Options
    Ffgg
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    :)
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Auntiebk: hope you're doing better - sounds very painful!!!

machka9 sure would be helpful if we could do that. I've been fighting insurance battles trying to retain insurance so I haven't gone to the doctor to get my inhalers as needed. Too much cost for doc and too much cost for inhaler, ughh.

Good luck to those contemplating moves. I was blessed when I took a teaching job in another city to have special family friends who let me stay with them till I found the perfect location. They were such a blessing and I was extremely happy with my location.

My most successful diet has been the blood type diet. Since I'm A+ it's close to a vegetarian diet. I follow it about 70% and I seem to be content, healthier, and happier with the choices. The problem this last year had been the energy to eat right and exercise. Hoping addressing the physical health issues will allow me to getting back on track in a few weeks. Right now limited to walking got exercise. Can't wait to start addressing strength and tone!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day! My exercise goal today is to try and increase both the number and intensity of my steps.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Teka- Same here ever since insurance changed in the USA can’t get care I used to get. Everything high some doctors won’t take cash anymore.

Amber Tx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Heather: You are right that you have to choose a hometown for yourself. We moved here after DD graduated from high school. DS had just graduated from college and was making plans for himself. They are each now settled into lives thousands of miles away and while that hurts my heart, I am happy to see that they are happy. :flowerforyou:

Bananas: I am wishing you courage. It is something that most of us need now and then. I know I need courage, too. :star:

Viv: I’m glad the plumber finally came and fixed your leak. :smiley:

SuziQ: Thanks for the information on “best diets.” I have two friends who have gone with weight watchers. One of them is doing nicely and has improved her health. The other women has gained quite a bit of weight since I last saw her. My DH has been put on the FODMAP diet by his doctor. The central feature is to avoid gluten. It has resulted in improved health for him. There are many products in the stores to replace things such as wheat-based bread and pasta with gluten free bread and pasta. I don’t care for the bread, but the pasta is quite nice. I particularly like the rice pasta. Gluten free breads and pasta seem to have somewhat higher calories. :flowerforyou:

Buzzcogs: Welcome to a great group of women! Post often to give and get support. :smiley:

Michele: I am not willing to move across the country to be closer to grandchildren at this time, either. Visiting more often is a possibility. DH and I are happy here. We have good neighbors and friends here. Our view is fabulous. My retirement pension is tied to residence in this state. If I move away, the amount I receive will be reduced. There are loads of reasons to stay put. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Good luck with your health situation. :heart:

Kylia: Nice to see your smiley face. :star:

We took down our Christmas decorations yesterday and they are all in boxes waiting to move up to the garage attic. Our biggest accomplishment was improving our storage system for outdoor lights. Rather than huge bundles of lights hanging at the top of out attic ladder, we have all of the outdoor lights on Hyper Tough Cord Wraps that we found at Walmart. We have placed them in a large storage box and will move the box into the attic storage as soon as we can. I noticed a warning message from the State of CA that the product contains chemicals that can cause cancer, birth defects or harm. I wondered whether it is delivered by off gassing or physical contact. I looked it up, and I'm not a bit worried. We won’t be sniffing or eating them. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,667 Member
    Options
    regarding my headlight comments: thanks

it's just a headlight for my bike, yeah, that's right. but think of it like, you drive your car to work at night and someone goes to your car and removes your headlights or smashes them so you can't see when you're driving at night.. sucks cuz you still have to go to work. I'm not really shocked because there are some homeless peeps around the neighborhood that ride bikes that they may have stolen. who knows. I am glad that I am familiar with the route that I take and know the road conditions like where the holes are and such. what also sucked is when I got off work it was dark again. I made do and Kirby ordered me a new one already. I had a side light that is red and blinks that I used as a makeshift headlight that I put in front of my handle bars. traditionally, u only want white lights in front and red in back, but for that one day. SOMETHING was better than nothing, I just wanted to make sure cars seen me coming. I ride on the road, not on the sidewalks. thankfully my tire spokes have lights on both wheels so when I ride, they make patterns. I have a lighted vest that blinks different colors and have lights on my helmet so I'm still pretty lit up.

someone asked about gym lockers, yes we have them. I used to take all my lights off and take them with me and when I went to the gym. that would be taking off and putting on 4 lights each time. I got lazy and for a long time, people left my lights alone. I take my helmet (on my head) when I go in so that's not a problem.

I have a hard core bike lock that I leave on the rack, I don't take it with because it requires a combination, so that's ok there

I just hope they needed that light as bad as I do and have a rechargeable battery plug cuz when the power is drained, they're f*&^cked.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Ginny- I absolutely love Arizona. We live in Goodyear. We are snowbirds. We stay at an RV resort for 6 to 7 months out of the year. They have the best freeway system. However, they also have fantastic side roads that get you there almost as quickly as the freeway. So no need to even go onto the freeway. There are events and fun things to do all the time. There are places to go that are within an hour to an hour and a half from here. We can get to Mexico in an hour and 45 minutes and Las Vegas in four hours! We can go skiing in the hills of Flagstaff! The hot months here are June through the middle of September. That’s a lot shorter time period then the cold months in Minnesota. I don’t know how long your winter is in Ohio but in Minnesota ours is about six months long and I very seldom go out. In Arizona during the hot months it’s a shorter time period and it cools down in the evenings and you can still go outside without slipping and falling on ice and snow!! We love staying here at a resort there is always something to do they have many amenities and activities. You might want to check out being a Snowbird we have people here from Ohio. Never buy a brand new RV as soon as you pull it off of the lot it is half the value. You can buy very very very nice used RVs from original owners. As far as moving here to see the grandchildren we did that as well but ours are in San Diego. It’s about a 4 1/2 hour drive there and we spend the weekend a couple times during our stay in Arizona. We go back to Minnesota because that is where our rest of the family is. Good luck with your decision!

Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Christmas Gifts - We still buy gifts for the young kids in the family....once they hit 18, they are cut off :smile:. I exchange a token gift with my Aunt, we send her a restaurant gift card most years. The one wrinkle this year is my cousin (the Aunt's son) who sent a small gift to us. It is something we like, but I need to call him and let him know that we do not want or expect a gift from them. I think if I explain it as we don't buy you gifts, we buy your kids gifts, they will make the connection and not send anything next year. He has gone back to school so they need to keep their money for themselves. If they want to send something, a photo of the family or the kids would be great. They do family portraits for their holiday cards each year.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Pip - Thank you for riding well lit up! I am amazed at how many bicycles we pass that the riders have no lights on the bikes. They of course have reflectors, but that's it. The flashing lights are very helpful in seeing them on curves in the roads.

Okie