January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo The fact that you live alone, I think, makes you a very strong and independent woman. Getting out to play tennis, to run, to drive to visit grandchildren/nieces is a great thing! I know many much younger who have nil ambition to do anything. I've often run and wished that someone was running with me. My husband outright refuses to run at all but I outright refuse to lift weights; I could not think of a more boring exercise to do. I know your husband would be, is, proud of you as is your parents and all of your loved ones.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Welcome @kit_katty ! Always welcome here! It is never too late!

Thanks @CupcakeCrusoe ! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I do find that if I don't run for a few days I get antsy to get out there, but still not really looking forward to it, if that makes any sense whatsoever. @LoveyChar I can see how you would look forward to the alone time on the weekends and or even getting out with your baby. Maybe I just hit on my issue, or at least part of it. I always run alone, unless it is a race and then, I'm still basically running alone. I live alone, so I have lots and lots of alone time. Maybe I need to be more social with my running and I would look forward to it. Humm. I'll have to ponder that one.
    Are there any running clubs in your area? Do you have a Parkrun event nearby? I mostly run alone but enjoy Parkrun or an occasional club run. My running club also has a Facebook group with social events etc. I didn’t know I liked group runs until after I went to Parkrun, but that first time was a bit nerve wracking for me.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    No run today after yesterday’s 17. I walked 1 mile, rowed 2000m, and did some arm work with dumbbells at the gym.

A coworker, who formally ran a lot but has since been injured, let me borrow a book of stretches to include foot stretches. He will likely have foot surgery soon, with a major contributing factor that he didn’t take the best care of his feet. Does anyone else do specific foot stretches? I have massaged mine and rolled on a ball before but honestly never thought any more in depth than that.

I have never done foot stretches; the saddest thing is that I have never done any stretches before a run but...I need to. I don't know if you're following a training plan but after I ran my 18 last week, I walked 3 the next day. My training plan called for me to run 5 the next day...I like what you did with the variety of strength/cardio. Anyway, back to the stretches, I'm going to look some foot stretches up. It will probably at least help get the blood flowing.

Stretxhing before a run is no longer recommended. It's suggested you do dynamic warm ups, so leg swings, jogging on the spot, boxers shuffle, that sort of thing. You don't want to stretch a cold muscle as it can lead to injury.

I personally just do some leg swings, and some rocking squats if I'm feeling tight in the calves.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    OK, I know my goal for Jan. was to finish the marathons I've signed up for without making injuries worse. Then I was going to make that my goal for Feb. and Mar. also. Originally, that was 2 marathons in Jan., 1 in Feb., and 2 in Mar.

In the meantime, I signed up for a 2nd marathon in Feb. I'm strongly thinking about a 3rd in Feb. and adding 1 at the beginning of Apr. If I do all of those, I level up to Platinum (2nd from highest level) in the Marathon Maniacs. Someday I am going to admit I have a problem, but that day hasn't yet arrived.

Loving this for you!!!! Wowza, you got a crazy addiction!
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Random question

How many pairs of running socks do you have? I currently have 5, was 6 but one sock has gone missing (eaten by the washing machine I assume) and I don't feel that's enough. Granted I'm running every day but I have a need to get more.

I now have two visors, about 5 different running tops of various types (1 crop, 3 tanks and 1 long sleeve - I also own a pair of sleeves), 2 knee length leggings and 2 full length, about 5 wrist sweat bands and 4 running bras. I also have dedicated underwear (really old ratty ones since I use vasoline not bodyglide) and I am now rotating 2 pairs of shoes (new pair next week!).

So much gear! And I am always on the lookout for bargains...

So how much is too much? And should I get more socks? Haha

ETA where is @PastorVincent??

Right now I've got four pairs of active running shoes, a pair of trail shoes that I rarely wear, and a pair that's rotating out but can still be used for a short run in a pinch. Socks... I think I've got 5 pairs. But in my household socks are constantly getting lost under furniture (3 cats will do that) so I'm often wearing the same socks for a month because I can't find any of the others.

In theory I could live with two pairs. But YMMV.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    For the love of all things cheese please get this back ache to go away. I knew something wasn't quite right before my run yesterday though once I started we were all good until 7 miles in and that was all I was getting. Can dehydration cause this? I drank 4 pints of water this morning and feel slightly better, still painful though better.

exercise.png

Have you tried some yoga? I know when my back starts to ache, I do a 30 min back yoga exercise. There are a few really simple ones online. Sarah Beth is usually my go to. I know, it's yoga. If you haven't done it, it can be a bit intimidating. But I swear it's the only thing that works to keep my back lose. Way better than pain relief to get to sleep at night. And back pain is usually muscular
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    No run today after yesterday’s 17. I walked 1 mile, rowed 2000m, and did some arm work with dumbbells at the gym.

A coworker, who formally ran a lot but has since been injured, let me borrow a book of stretches to include foot stretches. He will likely have foot surgery soon, with a major contributing factor that he didn’t take the best care of his feet. Does anyone else do specific foot stretches? I have massaged mine and rolled on a ball before but honestly never thought any more in depth than that.

I have never done foot stretches; the saddest thing is that I have never done any stretches before a run but...I need to. I don't know if you're following a training plan but after I ran my 18 last week, I walked 3 the next day. My training plan called for me to run 5 the next day...I like what you did with the variety of strength/cardio. Anyway, back to the stretches, I'm going to look some foot stretches up. It will probably at least help get the blood flowing.

I don’t stretch before running. As @Avidkeo mentions above, it is not recommended to do so because of injury. I just walk or jog in place a bit beforehand to warm up. Stretches would come after. I have always done some heel raises and downward dogs, but these new stretches work individual toes and focus on specific foot muscles. My coworker swears by them, so I am incorporating some with my other stretching, so we’ll see.

Yes, I am following a plan...a modification of the plan from my last marathon. I am trying to incorporate different cross training types and more strength training this time around, but my runs have pretty much stayed the same.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Random question

How many pairs of running socks do you have? I currently have 5, was 6 but one sock has gone missing (eaten by the washing machine I assume) and I don't feel that's enough. Granted I'm running every day but I have a need to get more.

I now have two visors, about 5 different running tops of various types (1 crop, 3 tanks and 1 long sleeve - I also own a pair of sleeves), 2 knee length leggings and 2 full length, about 5 wrist sweat bands and 4 running bras. I also have dedicated underwear (really old ratty ones since I use vasoline not bodyglide) and I am now rotating 2 pairs of shoes (new pair next week!).

So much gear! And I am always on the lookout for bargains...

So how much is too much? And should I get more socks? Haha

ETA where is @PastorVincent??

I have 5-6 pairs of socks, but I seriously need to buy some new ones and chunk some older ones.

I have too many shirts/tanks, but I did go through my running drawer and get rid of a few lately.

I think @PastorVincent has been sick this week.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo

I think I've got about ten pairs of shorter socks and four pairs of long extra warm ones for winter running. I could have fewer, but I like being able to comfortably go at least a week without having to do laundry to go for a run.