WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    There was some earlier talk about hydration and over hydration. The best "tell" is the color of our urine. This, like many other topics, can depend upon our health status, but is a good indicator, if we are properly hydrated.

https://www.healthline.com/health/hydration-chart

<3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,673 Member
    SuziQ~
    That sounds divine.. would be on my perfect day bucket list too
    I finally went back to sleep for a few hrs...
    right now I don't have another job to fall on , but will email my boss and see again if he would let me collect and leave my job.. if not I will do what I need to do for my sanity.
    I am watching local news and having my tea..

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Machka - My perfect me day. I would awaken at a beach-side hotel and enjoy a gourmet cup of coffee while I watched the sunrise. Then off to take a beach yoga session. Afterwards a nice, warm shower and a massage. After the massage I would then have a pool-side brunch and soak up a little sun. By then I would be a little sleepy so I would take a nap with the doors wide open, my room would have a balcony, and I would drift off listening to the waves. Dinner would be scheduled around sunset and would preferably be at a jazz club. Afterwards I would sit and enjoy the music and eventually go back to the hotel for a late-night beach walk.

SuziQ - SFL

That sounds lovely!! :)

One thing I enjoy about where we live is that late in the evening, when everything gets quiet and my husband has gone to bed ... I can often hear the waves on the beach below us. That's one of my "me moments". Sitting and quietly listening for a little while.

M in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,324 Member
    Fortunate to be off today. However, woke up at my usual time. Forgot to take thyroid med so had to delay breakfast another hour. So, went to basement and started tackling the pantry down there. It mainly holds seasonal things and odds and ends (so really, any junk that won't fit elsewhere). I usually straighten it out every year after Christmas but with going to Phoenix things have literally just been thrown in (close the door, don't look, it isn't there!).

Part of it has doored off shelves, the other is open shelves. I have shelves up in another part of the basement to hold the kitchen things rarely used. Goal is to get pantry cleaned out, maybe paint the shelves, and get kitchen stuff back there and organized--free up rest of basement. Have been brutal with what is going to goodwill. I have so much Christmas stuff that hasn't been used for years and I can not see myself using it any time soon, if ever.

Have had breakfast--off to continue the purge.

Ginny in Ohio
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,598 Member
    Good morning!

SuziQ-i love that kind of day! Realistically my me day would include a hike at one of our parks after a lazy morning. Lunch with a friend, then curling up with a good book. I occasionally at least get the curl up with a book, though not very often.

Machka- I get it! With husbands that need our care, it is hard to find "me" time.

Ginny- sounds great!

Laundry done, folded, and put away. Sheets changed. Plants watered. Shopped with Husband. We got home after second trip and I got comfortable in sweat pants and t-shirt. Husband then decides we need to go back and get a chair he liked at Costco. I wanted another pair of jeans I had bought earlier. I refused to change again. I never go out of house that way! At least they were solid color and I wore tennis shoes not house slippers. Lol! Came home, put chair together, friends came over for visit. My husband's love language is food, especially snacks. He loves to buy for everyone! They left about 830. At 9 I started getting ready for bed. Changed out laundry, made bed after folding (cause we had company), emptied and filled dishwasher, made coffee, picked up house quickly, in bed finally at 1030! Fun weekend, but need another day off.

The pictures are of my orchids and Christmas cactus. This is the second time my orchids have bloomed in 4 years. I am so excited. The cactus has been blooming since before Thanksgiving! Apparently they are in a great spot.

Have to get ready for work. Have a blessed day! Try to find a little "me" time!

<3
    Kylia in Cold but sunny (for now) Ohio

• Machka9
    edited February 2020
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good morning!

SuziQ-i love that kind of day! Realistically my me day would include a hike at one of our parks after a lazy morning. Lunch with a friend, then curling up with a good book. I occasionally at least get the curl up with a book, though not very often.

Machka- I get it! With husbands that need our care, it is hard to find "me" time.

<3
    Kylia in Cold but sunny (for now) Ohio

Yes ... I feel like I'm 'on duty' much of the time, although fortunately most days are a bit better now than they were. At least I don't have to go to the hospital to be with him every day like I was for several months there. I can come home and be with him and even if he's having a bad day, home is better than the hospital. At home, I can deal with whatever's going on in my after-work comfy clothes! :grin:

M in Oz

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Morning, DH and I had a vigorous hike yesterday, our glutes are still barking :s

Kim wish I had been a guest at your pop up! Looked like a great time.

My newest journal prompt is to write down the decisions I make each day. It really is another way to notice the positive, and trigger healthy choices.

NYKAREN
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Kim ~ Love your dinner party! Everyone looked like they were having a great time.

Kylia ~ You are one busy lady! Your plants are lovely. The older I get, I am likely to leave the house in my sweats and not worry about dressing up. After 40 yrs of dressing to go to work it feels really good.

Allie ~ I think you will find peace once you are away from that job.

Michele ~ Maybe a lot of folks who bring store bought goods for occasions are a bit like me...I can never think of something I make to bring.

Carol in GA

• Machka9
    Monday
    Work - unexpectedly busy just now. I've been hoping to spend some time each day working on my exam paper, but nope, I've got a list of things to do and it just keeps growing!
    Stairs - lots and lots. :) Today was 31 flights.
    Walking - as mentioned earlier.
    Appointments - Drs for husband, dentist for me. Yep, I've booked a dentist appointment for that tooth.
    University - Semester 1 starts next week and I've enrolled in 2 courses instead of my usual 1. That should be exciting! But right now they're still trying to figure out what to do. One is online and I could have kissed my monitor when I read the "Welcome" email from the instructor. This is how all courses should be taught! The other ... hmmm. :neutral: But I'm getting a flood of emails about the classes now.
    Cycling Club - for some reason they've decided to have yet another meeting next week (3 in a month??? why???) and there's just a lot of little stuff I'm dealing with. Emails every day.
    Brain Injury Association - I've even had emails from them dealing with a grant issue (I'm a board member). But March's Peer Group meeting is a big one in an awkward location and I'll have to do some juggling to a) get there and b) attend.
    Inbox - flooded with emails lately!
    Exam Paper - coming along. I might take a half day on Thursday ... I've already booked Friday off.

But one kind of exciting thing happened in the midst of it all today ... I've been invited to a "learn to run" course. I put my name into the expression of interest and it's been organised. I'll make the final arrangements tomorrow. For 5 weeks on Mondays right after work I will be learning how to run!

Now, I've already run a half marathon and several 10Ks so it's not that I can't run, but the point of this course is to give us good pointers to keep us injury free as we venture into the long distances. :) Next Monday I'll find out what it's all about.

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) If anyone would like a copy of "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin, let me know right away and I'll send it to you from my Paperback Swap account.
  • Thanks Heather. I will sign off accordingly.
    Debra California
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,020 Member
    Welcome Debra!

My perfect day would be to repeat a day from a past vacation at a beach resort. It was fabulous with a gorgeous private white sand beach, incredible food, yoga, kayaking, etc. They made single source chocolate from their own trees. But the best part was my boyfriend; we were falling in love, which made everything magical. I remember floating in the ocean holding hands. We lasted over two years and remain friends. I have plenty of time on my hands nowadays, but a perfect day would include a partner like him. Plus maybe a yarn project lol!

Annie in Delaware
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Woohoo you made it Debra! Laura 2yrs old like JR. Welcome to the group

How to use meal prep mason jars to containers properly.
    https://gatheringdreams.com/easy-healthy-meal-prep-ideas-30-minutes/

The taco bowl sounds delicious. No tortilla just the insides.

Amber Tx

So far no exercise today forgot 2 days in a row to weight myself
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2020
    Wessecg: Mr. Catfisher can fish in a different pond. :grumble:

SuziQ and Machka: I take time for me every day. I had a riding lesson yesterday. I will have a yoga class today. These things feed my body and spirit. I also have obligations that roll around every day, and I think that most of us do. I’ve managed to find a happy balance that lets me have time for myself and also time to get things done. This balance is much easier to find after retirement from employment and the daily commute. :wink: :star:

Machka: I’ve been using the carbs, fat & protein pie graph since I started here. I appreciate the balance it helps me to maintain. I try to get as close to equal thirds as I can, but every day varies a bit. I feel good with this general balance goal and daily variations. Yesterday I had 33 percent protein, 41 percent carbs & 26 percent fat. :smiley:

Debra: Welcome! We are many and it may take a bit for you to get to know us. Stop by often for encouragement and support. :flowerforyou:

I’ve had my morning coffee and am getting ready to have breakfast. Yoga today will be at 10. I look forward to it. 99% of the class members are 50+ and there is a mix of men and women.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,718 Member
    SuziQ~
    That sounds divine.. would be on my perfect day bucket list too
    I finally went back to sleep for a few hrs...
    right now I don't have another job to fall on , but will email my boss and see again if he would let me collect and leave my job.. if not I will do what I need to do for my sanity.
    I am watching local news and having my tea..

Do you have such a thing as stress leave available to you. When a job is affecting your health it’s time to leave.