Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I am certain, that she does this when turning book pages & counting cash, as well.

My question is, how does a person acquire this nasty habit in the first place? I have never in my life had the urge to lick my fingers to help separate papers.

But then again, I've never had the urge to put a burning stick in my mouth and inhale the fumes, either.

I'd think it's actually pretty common, they sell little moistener pads for people who work with paperwork or money all day as an alternative, though they were more common before computerized everything. I grew up with my mom licking her fingers to clean schmutz off her kids faces. I found myself licking my fingers to get the Walmart plastic bags open and was utterly and immediately disgusted with myself :confounded:

I've read the average person touches their face dozens of times a day while swearing they hardly ever do. With my contacts I tend to get little particles that get moved into the corners of my eyes, and I instinctively use a finger to wipe it away. I'm just trying to be more mindful of it and hope all that hand washing / sanitizing I'm doing will take care of the rest.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I am certain, that she does this when turning book pages & counting cash, as well.

My question is, how does a person acquire this nasty habit in the first place? I have never in my life had the urge to lick my fingers to help separate papers.

But then again, I've never had the urge to put a burning stick in my mouth and inhale the fumes, either.

I'd think it's actually pretty common, they sell little moistener pads for people who work with paperwork or money all day as an alternative, though they were more common before computerized everything. I grew up with my mom licking her fingers to clean schmutz off her kids faces. I found myself licking my fingers to get the Walmart plastic bags open and was utterly and immediately disgusted with myself :confounded:

I've read the average person touches their face dozens of times a day while swearing they hardly ever do. With my contacts I tend to get little particles that get moved into the corners of my eyes, and I instinctively use a finger to wipe it away. I'm just trying to be more mindful of it and hope all that hand washing / sanitizing I'm doing will take care of the rest.

I've had jobs handling money & paperwork all day... still no need or urge to lick. ;)

But I know for a fact I'm a terrible face-toucher and eye-rubber.

In Walmart... really? :#:s
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I've had jobs handling money all day... still no need or urge to lick. ;)

Yeah. Not my best moment. :fearful::warning:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I do it, but don't know where I acquired the "nasty habit". I assume I saw my parents do it, or something.

I am, however, very concious and conscientious about when/with what I do it, for example, not ever when about to hand the papers to someone else. That's not polite.

In general, I'm kind of the reverse of germophobic. One can take either side of this (germophobe or anti-germophobe) to an irrational level. IMO, the extremes of some modern obsessions with cleanliness and disinfection have caused as many problems as they've solved. We evolved squatting in the dirt in caves (and yes, not living very long at the time). An immune system with too little work to do gets up to mischief sometimes, and overdoing our attacks on micro-organisms creates stronger micro-organisms. There's a happy medium in there someplace, though I'm not sure rationally exactly where it may be.

I seem to be one of the few who doesn’t touch my face. It’s mainly because my grandmother trained me that it was disgusting from a young age. I used to chew on the backs of my knuckles when anxious and had to break myself of that.

If anyone does want to tackle breaking the habit, and has the problem of not being aware when you do it, get some cheap plastic food service gloves. They feel awful to touch your face with and will make you more aware.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Did you catch the corona special last night. ;) Chef Andres said the most profound thing. He's aiding these cruise ships.

https://www.eater.com/2020/2/18/21142472/jose-andres-world-central-kitchen-brings-food-to-princess-cruise-quarantined-coronavirus

He said all of the wrong people are telling everyone what to do. We need the experts who are pros that talk and plan less and adapt more. He said the way we're going to overcome all of this is by learning to adapt more. That's what he does on a daily basis. Good common horse sense for the WIN.

Talk less and adapt more.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

I've had jobs handling money all day... still no need or urge to lick. ;)

Yeah. Not my best moment. :fearful::warning:
    I've done it - and had the same reaction to myself :lol: Those picky little bags in the meat department are stubborn. At least it was one I'd already pulled off the roll.

I'm also a contact-wearing eye-toucher, I've noticed since all this came up
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I do it, but don't know where I acquired the "nasty habit". I assume I saw my parents do it, or something.

I am, however, very conscious and conscientious about when/with what I do it, for example, not ever when about to hand the papers to someone else. That's not polite.

In general, I'm kind of the reverse of germophobic. One can take either side of this (germophobe or anti-germophobe) to an irrational level. IMO, the extremes of some modern obsessions with cleanliness and disinfection have caused as many problems as they've solved. We evolved squatting in the dirt in caves (and yes, not living very long at the time). An immune system with too little work to do gets up to mischief sometimes, and overdoing our attacks on micro-organisms creates stronger micro-organisms. There's a happy medium in there someplace, though I'm not sure rationally exactly where it may be.

You're not wrong at all. I follow some of the top R&D scientists when it comes to Microbiome research. They all pretty much say we're underexposed in the modern world, especially when it comes to outdoors. The one scientist posts up all the time how he encourges his kids to play in the mud. It's also why people with dogs are healthier. Dogs bring the outdoors inside with them. We've all gotten too sterile. It's likely why I get sick easily. I work from home and my exposure to stuff is minimal. I'm like the bubble boy!

I assume the scientists don't encourage playing in the mud or with your dogs and then licking your fingers. :D

I happen to agree with the "too sterile" thing, but I was sick all the time when working with the public and rarely now that I am mostly at home.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

I am, however, very conscious and conscientious about when/with what I do it, for example, not ever when about to hand the papers to someone else. That's not polite.

You're not wrong at all. I follow some of the top R&D scientists when it comes to Microbiome research. They all pretty much say we're underexposed in the modern world, especially when it comes to outdoors. The one scientist posts up all the time how he encourges his kids to play in the mud. It's also why people with dogs are healthier. Dogs bring the outdoors inside with them. We've all gotten too sterile. It's likely why I get sick easily. I work from home and my exposure to stuff is minimal. I'm like the bubble boy!

I grew up playing in the woods, camping, working outdoors, and my mom had some rather antiquated views on cleanliness, so I know I was exposed to all sorts of things as a child. I know I ate with dirty hands as a kid. My brother, sister, and I were, however, healthy as horses, and the healthiest kids our pediatrician had ever seen. My sister has a tendency to pick up strep rather easily, but other than that, the three of us rarely catch more than the common cold once or twice a year.

I like to think that some exposure, especially when young, to some germs is very beneficial to the immune system in making it stronger and more resilient. And my mother always had cats that were indoor/outdoor when I was growing up, so I was exposed to things, that way, too. But I fully admit that I think genetics had a part to play in the robustness of myself and my siblings; my parents and extended family all tend to be on the resilient side.

Though I do remember reading a while back that kids grew up on farms tended to be amongst the healthiest of children, and the article seemed to allude to it being due to the types of germs and bacteria they were exposed to in that environment.

I fully admit I'm a face-toucher; its an ingrained habit and I don't even realize I'm doing it most of the time.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I grew up playing in the woods, camping, working outdoors, and my mom had some rather antiquated views on cleanliness, so I know I was exposed to all sorts of things as a child. I know I ate with dirty hands as a kid. My brother, sister, and I were, however, healthy as horses, and the healthiest kids our pediatrician had ever seen. My sister has a tendency to pick up strep rather easily, but other than that, the three of us rarely catch more than the common cold once or twice a year.

I like to think that some exposure, especially when young, to some germs is very beneficial to the immune system in making it stronger and more resilient. And my mother always had cats that were indoor/outdoor when I was growing up, so I was exposed to things, that way, too. But I fully admit that I think genetics had a part to play in the robustness of myself and my siblings; my parents and extended family all tend to be on the resilient side.

Though I do remember reading a while back that kids grew up on farms tended to be amongst the healthiest of children, and the article seemed to allude to it being due to the types of germs and bacteria they were exposed to in that environment.

I fully admit I'm a face-toucher; its an ingrained habit and I don't even realize I'm doing it most of the time.

Also a face toucher. I rub my eyes, itch, etc.

The common cold once or twice per year? Is that normal? I get it once or twice per decade.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

Also a face toucher. I rub my eyes, itch, etc.

The common cold once or twice per year? Is that normal? I get it once or twice per decade.

I know folks who seem to get it or something like it every time the weather changes. My best friend, for instance - that poor girl stays sick it seems!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    That sounds like the round of flu that hit my church and community back in January. It held on a lot longer than the typical flu, and even once the fever left, the dry cough lingered. some folks are still coughing and its been almost a month now since they had it. Come to think of it, they did have respiratory problems and some folks ended up in the hospital with pneumonia from it - the older folks with weakened lungs. At one point, over half our church was out - the pastor actually canceled a service because of it.

Makes me kind of wonder now......

I 100% believe that we have no idea when the true first patient with Covid-19 was in the US or the true number of people who have had the virus. Until recently the US didn't have the test kits to test people, even if they matched the symptoms. Plus, for a lot of people, this is a fever and a cough and nothing "worth" going to the doctor or hospital for. They stick it out, go to work, live their normal lives. It's also why I think the mortality rate is actually lower then what they are saying worldwide. The statistics are going to be off because a mild to moderate case most likely is not going to be accounted for.

The way the US lags behind other countries in testing is a disgrace. In fact, it's so bad that CDC removed "number tested" from their website. They have a BS reason for this. https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-cases-tested-us-removed-cdc-website-according-congressman-american-people-1490158

There were supposed to be 1.5 million test kits available now, but that didn't happen: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/officials-say-coronavirus-tests-are-here-where-are-they-n1149716

Not that we are ramped up for mass testing anyway.

Here's more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiqFnKXf3do
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I have done this all my life and really don't know how the habit started. I did retrain myself to use the jars of pink stuff instead when I was cashiering.