March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    Thanks @quilteryoyo!

@shanaber I have heard of thundershirts but I don't know anyone who has used one. It's good to know that they work. I'll have to look into that.

@Duck_Puddle My half is also on 5/16. It isn't canceled yet and we are all just hoping that things will be better by then.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Thanks @quilteryoyo!

@shanaber I have heard of thundershirts but I don't know anyone who has used one. It's good to know that they work. I'll have to look into that.

@Duck_Puddle My half is also on 5/16. It isn't canceled yet and we are all just hoping that things will be better by then.

Yeah. I’m hopeful but not optimistic for the May race. I don’t even know if the state would give the race company an answer in time for them to prepare. That isn’t meant to be so doom and gloom sounding. Just that it’s a big race so if the state doesn’t decide something until a day or two ahead of time, I don’t know if they will have time to do all the preparations for the race to actually happen. Plus NY, NJ & CT have all agreed to have a consistent message/closures/edicts/etc so even if NJ (where the race is) would be OK with it; if NY (or CT) isn’t-it won’t happen.

And I follow a lot of dogs on Instagram and many of them swear by thundershirts (for storms and just general anxiety). Demon Spawn isn’t storm anxious so I’ve never tried one on her. My old man dog was super scared of thunderstorms And I would have tried it with him if I knew anything about them back then.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,023 Member
    Options
    Hahaha @Duck_Puddle ! Sounds like the best race ever. I'll have to check out your Instagram.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    Hahaha @Duck_Puddle ! Sounds like the best race ever. I'll have to check out your Instagram.

It really was fun. I hope people can enjoy even though it’s a ... non-traditional race report LOL.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Duck_Puddle I looked at your instagram photos - AMAZING!!! That is moving to the top of my list as a running destination. Great job on your "race". So glad you were able to go and enjoy that beautiful experience.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Well done @Duck_Puddle !
  • PastorVincent
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Awesome race @Duck_Puddle

rest day here, and our first 2 cases of confirmed covid in my city, fortunately not patients I've worked with. I suspect by the end of the weekend NZ will be in full lock down. And I KNOW I'm going have have an exposure! Probably early next week. I'm working over the weekend so... We will be taking all precautions, but sadly it's not 100%

Ugh! Stay safe!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Duck_Puddle Canyonlands is a beautiful place. We were there a few years ago and only saw a small portion of it. It's so huge! Definitely a place to see!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    @Duck_Puddle I looked at your instagram photos - AMAZING!!! That is moving to the top of my list as a running destination. Great job on your "race". So glad you were able to go and enjoy that beautiful experience.

It really is incredible. That’s why it’s on my list too. I am glad I was able to do some of it, and in a VERY leisurely fashion (including full potty stop at a regular bathroom with indoor plumbing and hot water and everything LOL). I can’t wait to see the rest.

The Arches Half Marathon (which is in October and put on by the same company) runs a different 13 miles on the same road (very similar scenery). So if an October date fits better, it’s just as beautiful and awe inspiring.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Great work @Duck_Puddle!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @Duck_Puddle - loved your 'non-traditional' race report and took a look at the Insta pictures. Absolutely beautiful and much as I remember from driving the 128 with my geologist dad explaining all the rock formations and layers to us. I do not remember the bike path, likely it is a newer addition.
    @kgirlhart - before I actually purchased a thundershirt I made a makeshift one by wrapping an ace bandage around him from underneath his front legs to his belly like shown here https://www.k9ofmine.com/diy-thundershirt/ The shirt is easier and takes less time to put on so generally more convenient.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    And I know it’s not a real race but hardly anyone is running any real races so I’m doing my best to stay in the spirit (for me). And keeping my fingers crossed for my next possible-on 5/16 (5 days after the current “no gatherings more than 50 people) ban expires).

My race in May (Pittsburgh Marathon) has already been canceled. :(

I think you can pretty much write off anything in May. I do not see us on the other side of this till July, at best, IF people take it seriously. The fewer people that do so the longer this will take. Sorry.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

rest day here, and our first 2 cases of confirmed covid in my city, fortunately not patients I've worked with. I suspect by the end of the weekend NZ will be in full lock down. And I KNOW I'm going have have an exposure! Probably early next week. I'm working over the weekend so... We will be taking all precautions, but sadly it's not 100%

Ugh! Stay safe!

Well it's official. NZ borders are CLOSED. Unless you live here, you can't get in.

This may not seem like much, but we tend to be so isolated down here, so to be completely locked down like this, it feels very very real. I mean we are an island anyway but it just feels even more isolating.

Sorry! So glad at least this is happening during an age where we can still reach out virtually!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Ugh! Stay safe!

Well it's official. NZ borders are CLOSED. Unless you live here, you can't get in.

This may not seem like much, but we tend to be so isolated down here, so to be completely locked down like this, it feels very very real. I mean we are an island anyway but it just feels even more isolating.

Thank goodness my husband and I decided not to fly to Fiji this morning!

Me stuck in one country, my kids in another - my worst case scenario.

Yeah, I would cancel any and all trips for next 6 months then reevaluate the future in a few months. Not sure where y'all are on the infection curve, but, yeah, its best to stay home for now. :(