Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    New Mexico ordered "shelter in place" last night for the entire state. All restaurants and bars are closed except for delivery or pickup. All gyms and other entertainment and recreational facilities are closed. Hotels and such are ordered to remain at half capacity.
    Let's just say that's probably not an issue! Already below 30% occupancy and will be more like 10-20% by next week is my guess for the area I work in. The hotel industry is going to be right up there with airlines in terms of financial pain.

Yea. A family member works for a hotel chain with multiple locations downtown. They have totally shut down one location and are laying off employees at others. There just isn't any work because people are staying home (as they should). So far my family member is safe, but really just barely.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I just received an email from the center where I donate blood. They are starting to get critically low and are urging people to give. Many blood drives have been cancelled but one near me is still being held on Monday so I just made an appointment. Other than being around people, this is normally a sanitary environment anyway. They outlined their procedures to keep everyone safe:

Donor Health & Registration:
    • All donor-facing staff will have their temperature taken prior to beginning their work day
    • Donors temperatures will be taken at registration to ensure they are not elevated prior to entering donation areas
    • Donors will be asked if they are currently experiencing coughing or shortness of breath
    • Donors will be asked if they have recently traveled to high-risk countries as defined by the CDC
    • If any of the above is true, donors will be asked to self-defer

Social Distancing:
    • We encourage all donors to make an appointment to lessen the amount of people waiting at our blood drives
    • Ensuring six feet of space between chairs in waiting areas and cafe
    • Ensuring six feet of space between donation chairs and/or separation with medical screens
    • If appointment registration congestion occurs, we will ask for your cell phone number and text when your appointment is ready

Cleaning:
    • We clean all equipment, beds, and other surfaces after each donor finishes their donation
    • Changing gloves frequently and between donors is part of our normal practice
    • We will maintain sanitized pen bins, so donors are only using clean pens at sign-in

Even when short on supply, they still won't accept blood from certain people either because of sexual orientation or other reasons - including people like me who took beef insulin decades ago.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    New Mexico ordered "shelter in place" last night for the entire state. All restaurants and bars are closed except for delivery or pickup. All gyms and other entertainment and recreational facilities are closed. Hotels and such are ordered to remain at half capacity.
    Let's just say that's probably not an issue! Already below 30% occupancy and will be more like 10-20% by next week is my guess for the area I work in. The hotel industry is going to be right up there with airlines in terms of financial pain.

Yeah, hotels are suffering here too. That, and the government has taken over 30 something large hotels to house new arrivals to the country before closing international airports. They're all quarantined in hotels.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I just received an email from the center where I donate blood. They are starting to get critically low and are urging people to give. Many blood drives have been cancelled but one near me is still being held on Monday so I just made an appointment. Other than being around people, this is normally a sanitary environment anyway. They outlined their procedures to keep everyone safe:

• All donor-facing staff will have their temperature taken prior to beginning their work day
    • Donors temperatures will be taken at registration to ensure they are not elevated prior to entering donation areas
    • Donors will be asked if they are currently experiencing coughing or shortness of breath
    • Donors will be asked if they have recently traveled to high-risk countries as defined by the CDC

Social Distancing:
    • We encourage all donors to make an appointment to lessen the amount of people waiting at our blood drives
    • Ensuring six feet of space between donation chairs and/or separation with medical screens
    • If appointment registration congestion occurs, we will ask for your cell phone number and text when your appointment is ready

Cleaning:
    • We clean all equipment, beds, and other surfaces after each donor finishes their donation
    • We will maintain sanitized pen bins, so donors are only using clean pens at sign-in

Even when short on supply, they still won't accept blood from certain people either because of sexual orientation or other reasons - including people like me who took beef insulin decades ago.

Yep, I can't give blood either because I lived for 18 months in Germany in the mid-80s. Makes me sad, because I would love to donate.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    My dad got malaria during WWII and until he had to stop donating because of age they went back and forth on his eligibility. Some years it was ok, some not, it was very inconsistent.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

Social Distancing:

Cleaning:

I think the only reason I'm not getting two calls a day is because I just gave blood.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Is it really "shelter in place" when non essential businesses aren't ordered to close, though? Just limit as much as possible?
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Local Fox News at 5 pm (Mpls/St Paul)
    $89.99 toilet paper 36 count
    Shameful!
    It was reported to the state AG.

I just watched this and was horrified.