Coronavirus prep

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I like the line about NZ having the best-placed economy to deal with this crisis. That will come in handy for you guys. Low debt? That must be nice.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Even a continuing social distancing will not last for too long, if DT has his ways...

Trump itching to scale back social distancing after 15 day-period, aides say
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/politics/trump-coronavirus-15-days-social-distancing/index.html

I don't think he could do anything to countermand the state governors on this.

I think that TP read your post that is why you got a disagree... :p
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Report from WBUR's Here and Now program, broadcast on US National Public Radio (NPR):

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/03/23/malaria-drug-shortage-coronavirus

Summary: Hydroxycholoquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an anti-malaria drug being tested for potential use against COVID-19/coronavirus. CDC sounds hopeful, but says proof is needed. US President has touted the drug in press conference as "a tremendous breakthrough" and "a game changer".

The drug is also important for treatment of people with other conditions, including autoimmune conditions such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

In some areas, demand has risen to the point where supplies are challenging to get, for people with the relevant health conditions who routinely need them.

Some of the increased use is potentially health professionals understandably doing anything possible (even if unproven) to avoid contagion in a context of inadequate protective equipment, but speculative over-prescription and hoarding are also suspected.

I'm trying really hard here to keep this post a simple factual summary, in light of the MFP community guidelines against political content. I think the core issue would be of common interest, but especially so to those who currently depend on hydroxychloroquine prescriptions.

Do not, however, just decide on your own to take hydroxycholoquine tablets intended for use as aquarium cleaners, without a doctor’s order. A couple of not smart people did that. One is dead and the other very sick.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/489097-man-dies-after-taking-malaria-medication-in-effort-to-prevent-coronavirus

Where did I read that some people were drinking bleach to disinfect their insides?

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I like the line about NZ having the best-placed economy to deal with this crisis. That will come in handy for you guys. Low debt? That must be nice.

We've been saving for a rainy day. And yes, I understand that we are very fortunate to be in this position.

I think the US is pretty screwed no matter what they do at this point :(

That is pretty much business as usual for us though.

I was trying not to go there ;)
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited March 2020

We've been saving for a rainy day. And yes, I understand that we are very fortunate to be in this position.

I think the US is pretty screwed no matter what they do at this point :(

That is pretty much business as usual for us though.

I was trying not to go there ;)

It's an unfortunate truism at this point.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Report from WBUR's Here and Now program, broadcast on US National Public Radio (NPR):

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/03/23/malaria-drug-shortage-coronavirus

Summary: Hydroxycholoquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an anti-malaria drug being tested for potential use against COVID-19/coronavirus. CDC sounds hopeful, but says proof is needed. US President has touted the drug in press conference as "a tremendous breakthrough" and "a game changer".

The drug is also important for treatment of people with other conditions, including autoimmune conditions such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

In some areas, demand has risen to the point where supplies are challenging to get, for people with the relevant health conditions who routinely need them.

Some of the increased use is potentially health professionals understandably doing anything possible (even if unproven) to avoid contagion in a context of inadequate protective equipment, but speculative over-prescription and hoarding are also suspected.

I'm trying really hard here to keep this post a simple factual summary, in light of the MFP community guidelines against political content. I think the core issue would be of common interest, but especially so to those who currently depend on hydroxychloroquine prescriptions.

Do not, however, just decide on your own to take hydroxycholoquine tablets intended for use as aquarium cleaners, without a doctor’s order. A couple of not smart people did that. One is dead and the other very sick.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/489097-man-dies-after-taking-malaria-medication-in-effort-to-prevent-coronavirus

Where did I read that some people were drinking bleach to disinfect their insides?

Yeah, I heard gargling with it. I said to my husband, the thought of it makes me gag. 🤢

I’m done for the day. I’m going to check out Netflix for something happy for the evening.

I'm really not surprised at anything people do anymore. Whether it's willful ignorance or just unfortunate ignorance, fear only makes poor decision-making skills worse.