WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Margaret ~ I agree with what a few others mentioned. Your son's mental health is fragile and being told he can't/shuoldn't enjoy what gives him comfort will only increase his stress level. I have never smoked but my husband smoked from age 15 to 60. He finally quit when he had a heart attack and got four stints. It was very, very hard for him to do and for us who had to be around him.

JMHO! <3 Said with love!

Carol in GA

I am not telling him he shouldn't smoke. He already knows that. I just want him to be aware how much he smokes. How much he smokes is an indicator to his mental health. It is one external tool to gauge how he is progressing towards regaining his mental health. When he is in an episode he chain smokes. When he is doing better he only smokes a few a day.

COVID 19 attacks the lungs so if you weaken your lungs by smoking the chances you have a more serverve form of this illness. You can die from it or end up with lung disease for the rest of your life. This is if you are lucky enough to get the respirator. I know I am also selfishly motivated because if he does become ill I will be the one nursing him. I promised him I would not take him back to the hospital. With his illness he had been in a hospital the equivalient of a year. If you are taken to the hospital with this there are no visitors and if you die from it you die alone or a nurse by your side if you are lucky.

So I hear what all of you are saying and if COVID 19 were not in the picture it would be a different story. What I am trying to to right now is to distract him. He announces when he is going to smoke so when he says that I suggest a walk or tell me something your are grateful for today. I also suggested he fill his cigarette case at the beginning of the day and see how many he smokes in a day. This is often the first step in changing your eating habits. You just observe what you do. Once he knows how much he smokes he can set his own goal of how many he will smoke the next day. These techniques are not much different then what many of us use hear to steer ourselves towards better habits. This is actually a winwin in his case. Because of his illness he has a hard time with patience, frustration, and setting goals.

I do appreciate your comments and I agree that smoking is a comfort to him.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Machka - love your little black kitty. They really do something quite special for our lives.

They do ... just being able to laugh helps.

LisaInAR wrote: »
    About to get some bread dough going to make Corey some sandwich buns for his week's lunches. He makes "man's man" sandwiches, which just destroy any soft bread, and the good wheat breads are never available in the stores anymore. Will have to wait until he wakes up, the mixer does the boogie-woogie on the counter, and gets quite loud kneading bread dough.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR

I have attempted to find a bread maker over the past couple weeks, but they're all gone. So if we make bread, it will be the old fashioned way.

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :) I thought a bit about teaching a line dance class on Zoom but realized that I am lacking some of the necessary equipment to do it effectively. We don't have cameras on either the laptop or the big new desktop computer. Buying a webcam and installing it without access to face to face technical support is more than I want to tackle right now. As is the case with all my "wants", I pause and think before rushing in.

:) About having trouble sleeping. I am frequently awake for a few hours in the middle of the night, so I've done a lot of reading. I don't slow down much during the day to read, but in bed awake, reading is a perfect pastime.

:)Machka, the only reason we have a bread maker is that my husband's heart and lung problems make it impossible for him to exert the necessary energy to knead bread.

:)Kelly, I loved the Pooh and Piglet picture.

:) I have my usual dog walk planned soon and then about an hour after that walk, another friend is coming over to walk for an hour. It is drizzly but we just put up our hoods and head on out.

:)Katla, You and I are very fortunate to have husbands who take responsibility for their own health. Jake quit smoking 15 years ago after the doctor told him that smoking was taking oxygen away from his already damaged heart. He put down his last pack of cigarettes at midnight the night before his stent procedure and hasn't picked them up since.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Bread maker....Machka if I hadn't given mine away last year I would have sent to you. Funny that it is mentioned here as my husband asked if I still had the one he bought me like 15 years ago last night. Oops! I hadn't used it in over 10 years so got rid of it. I really don't eat a lot of bread, nor does he. I did make beer bread last night to go with our chili. It was the last package of Tastefully simple mix. Will have to make from scratch next time. You all gave me simple recipes for it with a lot less preservatives!

While excited about WBC being back up, I am going to have to still be conscience of my food choices so that this doesn't happen again. Also know not to stop probiotics. Will also know to get diflucan if my WBC goes down again. I get blood work yearly if not more often because of migraine meds.

TTFN, Kylia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I love the humor. :star: Your kitty is gorgeous and looks like he is adding to your happiness. :smiley:

Heather: I’m sorry that your money is being withheld by the travel companies. :grumble:

Staying at home is sensible but I need exercise!!!! We have terratrykes in the garage that could be used. One is on a trainer. Since we only have one trainer we’ll have to take turns. I’m betting that I’ll get lots of turns and DH will claim he isn’t doing well enough to try. :ohwell:

Katla
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Exercising in a RV to tiny apartment- walk in place set a timer or stand in front of a window with a view or tv zone out keep walking in place.Can do stretches like that too even in bed leg stretches to arm ones. watch calories is harder when veggies are scarce but processed stuff is available online to in store when you find some thing .Just do your best it’s not normal circumstances for us all.

Today chicken tiny piece on noodles,y baked beans. The last can of my unsweetened pie filling almost gone but going to enjoy it anyways.

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: invest 10 mins cleaning Dining Rm
    Bonus: another 15+ minutes vacuuming
    Get to do: invest 10 mins cleaning carry over clean Office + Bedrooms, call Carolyn, write Daddy Derk, finish Aunt Elsie’s stove and test light oven, finish county congregation contacts, make tacos EARLY, bake cookies for Joe, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, Monday or Tuesday recycling and Post Office.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Coping Calendar Day 9: really listen to a loved one:
    called Daddy Derk, left voicemail. Texted Carolyn. Listened to Joe about the timing for the tacos.

Oops forgot to take my bone pill. Lack of external structure running the days together. Tomorrow. Nope having some heartburn. Will skip for a week.

Karen in VA thank you so very much for the LET light and Zen clippers tips! No “before” pics of project AE’sS but will take an “in progress” one soon as the garage warms up enough to get back to it. She’s a 1952 Wedgewood we had converted from gas to propane in anticipation to moving to natural-gas-less Curry County. We’ve moved her 7 times but I haven’t been able to use her the last 3 places as she’s was too wide to fit (36”) in the standard stove openings. Now she lives in the garage, where we had propane piped to supply her. Why go to all that trouble? She bakes the best cookies. If the recipe calls for 12 minutes at 375 it is EXACTLY 12 minutes at 375. Sentiment really. This will be her last home with us. “Bravery” one of your bottom 4? IMHO anyone who takes on being 13 yo grandson’s Learning Coach is the very image of Brave! Is there a male your ex respects who you could coach to persuade him not to vist grands? Or can your son simply say “Not now!”
    Machka 2 years :cry: Con VERY gratulations on adopting Rhody! I can almost hear him purr from here.
    SuziQ Brava for defusing that waiting-in-line situation!
    Kylia thanks for Sara’s ancestry, “Pyrenees” was the word I was reaching for. Your butterfly boots make me happy too. Fighting a yeast infection for 2.5 years? :noway:
    Tere :cry: for your genetic skin trouble. Thank you for the Medicaid work you do, and for your DH’s 58 hr USPS schedule. Expect he’s too tired to do more than medicate you. ;)
    Annie so frustrating your Mom won’t get it. Is there someone else whose opinion she respects, a doctor/clergy/relative/friend? Sometimes mom’s just can’t accept that their daughters “know best”. $3.40/roll of TP? That’s price gouging. Should be a federal offense.
    Amber thanks for the nail trimming tips, especially the preferred angle. Horrific pics of overgrown nails. Nearest Petco is 2+ hrs away. Tumble and Shadow will have their nails trimmed at Tumble’s annual exam (the vet techs come to your car. Not sure then if they do the exam in your car or carry the pet in. Will let you know.) Tumble’s get trimmed at her 3 weekly grooming, but Shadow hasn’t been groomed yet. Con VERY gratulations on your progress. Very well done!
    Heather love the pic, especially seeing you and DH reflected in the window.
    Carol ((hugs)) for trying to deal with BnL. Is he in memory care?
    Suebdew what a horrific time you’ve had. So glad you’re home safe.
    Tracey ah, I knew that! Somehow thought “trilogy” in that context was some new kind of electronic device. Silly me!
    Lanette that masked and bootied mini schnauzer made me laugh out loud. Grateful for the much needed bellylaugh.
    Sharon working already? Are you completely recovered?
    Janetr prayers continuing for your niece, her DH, your daughter and you.
    Rita you make keto look appetizing. Well done!
    Pip 26+ mi round trip daily? Wow! Just WOW!
    Margaret as an ex-smoker I believe there is nothing you can suggest to your son that will help him abate his habit. Keep emphasizing the positive, his exercises, keeping regular medication schedule, walking outside, and let go and let God deal with the smoking. Please forgive me for butting in.

Only thru pg 107 but Joe and the pups are calling.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: better than February.
    daily: steps=3/27: 3805, 3/28: 1934 :P vits=26 log=28 CI<CO=17 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble & Shadow 5=12 mfp=28 clean 10 mins=22 outside=11 up hill=12
    wkly: BB&B x3=9, rx=3 dance=4 pack walk=2
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= review 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=14 play=3 sew=0

during the warmer months, I may do both rides to and from.

going home, I will run 1/2mi to the train station, get my bike, on the train, get off at tacoma, then ride the 2-1/2 miles uphill to home. if I rode to and from, it would still be running 1/2 mi to and from work and on those days, I would be burning 1000 or more a day