Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did Gay Gasper’s Total Body Metabolic DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Yoga for Back Care DVD.

Going to the soup kitchen today. First time in over a week that I’ve worn makeup!!!

Sue W – Hope they find the water leak real soon

Barbie – what about a uTube video?

Evie – I love to do x-stitch too. Did I post the pictures of the lap quilts that I crossstitched? I made a picture for MIL years ago that said “grandchildren are a bridge to heaven” and each child’s name and birthday was in a cloud. It was really pretty.

Since I’m going to the soup kitchen today, I think today’s goal will be to clean this area we have by the phone that has lots of papers, etc. Boy, am I bored! (Did I mention that part???) That is unless we work on the pool. Vince has this “thing” about paying a pool company to come out and diagnose the problem. If this changing the filters doesn’t work, does he realize how much money he’s spent? Purchasing new filters (and they’re not cheap), all the salt, all the other chemicals, the bleach. Let’s hope changing the filters works. Update: he didn't get to it. Wish he'd do more things outside now while the weather is nice. He can do things inside when it gets hot. I know he can't stand the heat. It's not a problem for me.

Barbara – take care of yourself. Now I’m so grateful that I have so many exercise DVD’s

Love all the baby pictures.

Talked to Denise yesterday. We will Skype for Easter, just don’t know what time. She’s still planning to have PJ’s birthday party. Vince said “wonder how many people will come”. I tried to tell her that violating the stay at home order is a misdemeanor punishable with a jail fine, but she’s still insistent that it’s going to happen. Well, we shall see……

M – love all your pics

I asked Jess if maybe she’d like to plan dinner once/week but she said “not really”. I was thinking on a Saturday when she didn’t have classes. Well, I guess it’s just easier if mom decides what you’re going to have and makes sure you have all the ingredients.

Sent a letter to the editor of our local paper. They print a listing of the restaurants with take out or pick up, I suggested a listing of the different stores and their current hours, which days they’re open for seniors, the times they’re open for seniors, and pharmacy hours. He said it was a good idea. Now to see if it gets done.

Rori – how I wish I were closer to you. If anything, to talk.

Thought of something when this is over it’ll probably be a boom for department stores. So many people will need to buy a new wardrobe in a size larger!! I know if I don’t watch it, I’ll be one of those people

Luci – I know at least one of the gyms around here isn’t taking the money out of your bank account. Not sure of the others. They might not

Nancy – welcome!

Cleaned out and organized the “office” part of our kitchen. Tomorrow will be the pantry. Even Jess looked at me and said “ma, you must be really bored”. I am, I never knew that going to the soup kitchen was so exciting. I just stayed inside and put their “to go” bag inside their lunch bag. They had pepperoni pizza, broccoli salad and cookies for lunch

After the soup kitchen stopped at Food Lion. They don’t sell Mop and Glo. Interesting. I was thinking that perhaps I’d use that on the floor. FL sells something like it, only it takes 45 to 60 minutes to dry! Don’t know how long M&G takes to dry and want to check it out before I buy it.

What I do is when I go to the grocery store and they have those disinfecting wipes, I wipe down my pocketbook and my cell phone.

I just made brownies. Now why did I do that? Vince has ice cream and jello. Jess said she’d eat jello, but I don’t know. I know she’ll eat brownies. Update: she did have some of the jello

Jess said that she talked to the girl across the street and asked if we all could go walk tonight. Jess is a very gregarious person so I’m surprised she wants me and Lyndsey’s mom to join her, but for whatever reason she does. Not that I mind, I certainly can use the exercise.

If I’m not really careful, I can absolutely see myself ballooning which I don’t want to have happen.

Cheri – I believe it was you who made those C2C blankets (my apologies to the person if it wasn’t Cheri). How did you determine how long the increase part should be, how long the straight part should be and how long the decrease part should be? How big were the blankets you made?

Evie – did you go to Aldi’s? They have a limit of two butters this week. If so, they aren’t selling OJ Concentrate any more, for what reason I have no idea. I used to buy it there, but can’t any more

When I went to Food Lion, they wiped down the entire belt (where you put your groceries) between each customer. I liked that. They also had a cover over the pinpad so all you did was insert your credit card. They also had the protective plexiglass up.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :)Michele, You are so very thoughtful to want to see a video of my line dancing, but I don't have a camera on my computer or on Jake's computer so it's really not an option. I am happy dancing by myself at home. I love choosing the dances I like and spending some time relearning some old favorites. So far this week, I've danced for 40-60 minutes every morning. I can leave the step sheets and CD's out on the table so it's easy to just go into the room, put in a CD and dance. Jake likes my music so sometimes he comes to the door to listen to the music and watch me dance.

:) We are eating exactly the same food we always eat. I walk the dogs as much as I always did. I probably ride the exercise bike and watch TV or listen to audio books more than I used to, and now with adding a dance session in the morning, I am even more active.

:) I don't plan to go to the store until at least the 14th (either Costco or the grocery store) but I just heard Jake tell his friend on the phone that he wants me to go sooner. I'm curious about why.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

didn't ride to work, lazy

bike ride hm 2 dome- 12.38min, 135mhr, 13.2amph, 2.77mi= 79c
    apple watch- 91c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station wind n sprinkles- 15.32min, 131mhr, 11.7amph, 3.02mi= 113c
    apple watch- 112c
    Jog sta 2 wrk, sprinkles- 5.19min, 9.47min mi, 150mhr, .54mi= 62c
    apple watch- 61c
    Jog wrk 2 sta, windy!- 4.23min, 9.37min mi, 150mhr, .45mi= 55c
    apple watch- 59c
    bike ride dome 2 hm, windy!- 21.55min, 7.7amph, 153mhr, 2.79mi= 208c
    apple watch- 162c

total cal 517
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Michele, we don't have Aldi's here. This was a more local store. I did see your blankets, they are lovely!
    Didn't get my glads planted, totally forgot about them! lol Plus it was a yucky day and so cold, I'll wait for a few days. The weatherman said it's supposed to be nicer next week.
    Hope everyone has a great day/night!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    QUESTION: ARE YOU lowering your caloric intake with quarantine?
    i guess most of you don't have time limits like we do here. but still there might be less (or more) pottering. i think before the time limit i was getting good exercise in.

Yes ... but not deliberately.

When I'm stressed, I eat less. My stomach doesn't like to eat. When I'm really stressed, I can't eat and there have been a few times in my life where I've dropped a lot of weight over a month or two. For whatever reason, I found Grade 12 through to my early 20s quite stressful and struggled a lot with eating. I was often well underweight.

The past couple weeks have been somewhat stressful and again, I'm just not that hungry. For example, it's 1 pm here and I haven't eaten since about 9 pm last night ... 16 hours ... and I'm not hungry enough to eat yet despite the fact that my husband just ate several pieces of toast with honey. The smell of toast will often whet my appetite but not today.

I'm slowly but surely losing weight.

I've also got more time to exercise now too because I'm not spending 1.5 hours a day on a bus. I didn't do as much as I had hoped over this past week ... I just felt really tired and even napped one afternoon. But I hope to build up.

We're in the fortunate position of having a lot of exercise equipment. Because of my husband's accident, we stopped going to the gym and spent the money we would have spent on the gym on exercise equipment at home.

And there are no time limits here yet so we can go walking wherever for however long we want. There are distance limits ... it probably wouldn't be advisable for us to drive up north to cycle and we can't leave the island. But we can cycle in our own council area, and probably in adjoining ones.

Today is cold, wet and windy with the prediction of snow down to 600 metres, so we'll be exercising inside. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Jess said that she talked to the girl across the street and asked if we all could go walk tonight. Jess is a very gregarious person so I’m surprised she wants me and Lyndsey’s mom to join her, but for whatever reason she does. Not that I mind, I certainly can use the exercise.

If I’m not really careful, I can absolutely see myself ballooning which I don’t want to have happen.

Michele NC

Are you allowed out for exercise? We're allowed out for as long as we want to go for walks, runs, hikes, bicycle rides etc. as long as there are only 2 of us together or groups of families who live together.

A lot of people are walking in this area now. I see singles, pairs, and parents with flocks of children. :)

If you're allowed out for exercise, what about checking out the local hiking trails or going out for long walks ... or getting a bicycle and going for a ride?

Activity Ideas

Photography
    And here's another idea ... when I had more spare time, I used to participate in photography challenges on a couple websites, and one challenge theme that used to come up now and then was "5 minutes from home" or "in your neighbourhood" or things like that.

The idea was to go for a walk in your area, really pay attention and look at things, and take photos. :)

Languages
    Also, apparently Amazon and Rosetta Stone have a deal to help anyone interested to learn a new language. That might be an idea for those who are bored. Duolingo is free, but I've heard that Rosetta Stone is more comprehensive.
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3534696/become-bilingual-on-a-budget-with-rosetta-stone-unlimited-for-just-85.html

I'm not sure, but it might be possible to plug in and listen while walking.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    If you're allowed out ... go out!! Keep walking, cycling, running, hiking, kayaking ...

Here, we've got websites with trail maps. Several are closed now, but some are still open.

""Keeping active and practicing a regular exercise routine is a great way for people across the country to keep their physical and mental health in good shape, especially as isolation starts to take a toll," Fitness Australia chief executive Barrie Elvish said."

"Professor Gilks said sitting at home and not exercising was a greater concern.
    "One of the problems that I see is with having to stay indoors, working from home encourages sedentary behaviour," he said.
    "It's very important for your physical health and your wellbeing to keep your weight under control and to try and retain fitness.""

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-04/coronavirus-queensland-exercise-safety/12115924

Machka in Oz
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Lisa ... Happy Birthday!
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Activity Ideas

Photography
    And here's another idea ... when I had more spare time, I used to participate in photography challenges on a couple websites, and one challenge theme that used to come up now and then was "5 minutes from home" or "in your neighbourhood" or things like that.

The idea was to go for a walk in your area, really pay attention and look at things, and take photos. :)

Languages
    Also, apparently Amazon and Rosetta Stone have a deal to help anyone interested to learn a new language. That might be an idea for those who are bored. Duolingo is free, but I've heard that Rosetta Stone is more comprehensive.
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3534696/become-bilingual-on-a-budget-with-rosetta-stone-unlimited-for-just-85.html

I'm not sure, but it might be possible to plug in and listen while walking.

Science

If you're into science or you have grandkids who are ... check out NASA's Space Place. You could spend several days just browsing through everything there.
    https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/

I went to the Parents and Educators link and found there were several other links available:
    https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/menu/parents-and-educators/

The JPL Education one looks good:
    https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/

But there are several others to explore.

Machka in Oz