Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I hate people.

So my doctor suggested that I attend the special early hours at the store this morning because my asthma has been so bad of late (plus other health issues). I took time off of work, got up early, put on my mask, and went. It was horrible. These are all people who should be social distancing the most. The elderly. Those with chronic health conditions. But no. It was like no one knew that social distancing meant! Especially the elderly! They couldn't wait 2 seconds so you could grab an item before they stood right next to you to look at stuff. They would come right at you with carts like a game of chicken. They wouldn't stay to one side of the aisle so you could pass safely. They pushed right past you to get in the store while you were trying to keep distance from those ahead of you.

I am not doing that again. Sunday mornings at opening were WAY better then that.

Everybody was doing that last time I went to the store a week ago, elderly or not. I do recall seeing something on the news about how the elderly population in my state (maybe other states too) are taking this situation the least seriously compared to other age groups, and are going out and about as much or more than always, and often with zero protection. Of course, everywhere they go is a store, church, or visiting friends and relatives - all things considered "essential" here. So you can't stop them, it's like seeing the train wreck about to happen...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Rolling LockDowns may be the wave of the near future.

Locally the human food stock seems to have improved. Animal food supplies are not in as good of shape especially if one is brand loyal. I think some animals are more picky about the brand they prefer than humans are.

https://foxnews.com/world/another-chinese-city-in-coronavirus-lockdown
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Places too quick to return to normal are being interrupted by an uptick. That may spur the second wave. My state hasn't reached any kind of peak but is hailbent on returning to normal. I'm ticked thinking about an uptick due to poli-ticks. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I like the sound of this... <3

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-scientists-in-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm less anxious than when younger, overall: Willing to let what comes, come; wanting to enjoy what I can along the way, and deal with negative events as best I'm able when they arise, rather than anticipating them fearfully.

Your comment reminded me that I'd read about happiness increasing after 40 or so in the past (that was true for me) and that in general older people are happier, so I googled and found this:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/04/12/do-people-become-happier-after-40

As much of it is behind a paywall, a couple of relevant bits:

"Life satisfaction does not follow this pattern in all countries. Self-reported happiness in former Soviet states declines markedly with a respondent’s age. Among males in India it is an inverted U: happiness rises to middle-age before declining into old age. Generally, Indians are among the gloomiest in the world, their average life satisfaction has fallen by 1.2 points over the past decade. When Indian men reach their 70s they are among the least happy in the world, reporting average life satisfaction of just 3.6 points. In contrast women aged 70 and over in America appear to be the world’s happiest group of people, with life satisfaction of some 7.5 points. The reasons for these differences are not well understood, but the idea of a U shape has been discussed by sociologists for decades."

-and-

"A 2012 study of happiness among Australians, Britons and Germans between 1980 and 2010 found that after controlling for income, relationships, health and the fact that longitudinal panels may be biased, self-reported happiness was flat between the ages of 20 and 55. It then rose through to the age of 75 as people enjoyed a stress-free life before declining sharply as their health deteriorated. Another study published in 2015 used the same data but employed a different methodology and found evidence for a U-bend in life. It posits that happiness is a simple function of vitality and emotional maturity: the latter rises with age, while vitality deteriorates with age, but in concert they combine to minimise happiness at around middle age."

My wife will be absolutely thrilled when I tell her today that I'm finally growing up! I'm 55! ;)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Diatonic- Shut our parks down SanAntonio Texas same reason morons flocking