Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Speaking of reasons..

The other day I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things, I didnt have many bags, unlike my last trip where it took me 7 trips back and forth to get everything inside...

So I'm waiting for my cab, he shows up, and immediately walks right over to my cart right behind me pretty much shoulder to shoulder to grab some of my bags.

I said "it's okay, I got them" but he took them anyway.

So I get in the car and I see no disinfecting wipes or sanitizer, no masks no gloves.. nothing.

We get to my place and after I pay him, I get out and go around to get the bags and again he gets out and comes right up beside me and grabs some bags

Again I said "it's okay I can take them" and he said no no, I will carry them to your place, and I said no, it's fine, i can handle them.

I basically had to pry my bags from his hands.

I honestly wouldnt think.. at this point that i would have to be blunt and state the obvious about social distancing... as it's been everywhere you go for weeks. So it surprised me that twice he gave no thought to himself or me..

In trying to be a gentleman he removed my ability twice to maintain my own 6 feet of space.

I dont know if he just didnt get it? Or if he just didnt care. But it's people like that, that would make it hard to reopen parts of the city or county without them just coming into that space.

I was pretty mad.. last thing I need is to catch this just before I return to work because someone else just didnt care or doesnt take it seriously enough.

All i could think was... what if he had done this for all his passengers? Then by being that close to me, shared it with me cause he picked it up from someone else.... what if I was unlucky enough to bring something home from the store and by him grabbing my bags, hes got it and now sharing it with new passengers.

I actually wrote a tiny rant about it on my main profile as a vent, and someone that is no longer a friend cause they deleted themselves, condescendingly told me that they Hope I find happiness in my life so I dont blame others.

So besides the cab driver, here is another person who seems to think violation of space and potential infection from someone else should be invited with love and acceptance.

I dont blame those who ended up with it, it spread so quickly, and it's been hard to control, but I will get mad at those who dont do their own part to work together to protect those who haven't yet. Its gonna spread enough as it is, just trying to maintain some essential services to live and work, why make it harder?

Keep your distance. Wash your hands. And those red arrows on the floor at the grocery store indicating which direction the flow of the aisle is.. follow it, dont just barge down the wrong way because you're only getting 1 thing and you dont wanna walk down another aisle just to go in the right direction. It's not hard..

Lol... so frustrating when I see things like this

Perhaps a call to the cab company as a gentle reminder, since this has happened more than once.

Oh, well no, only the once, lol you read my rant the other day I'm sure, that's who I'm talking about lol

Did you have a mask on? To me, unless someone has been living under a rock for the last 3 months, it should've been obvious anyways but especially if you were wearing a mask. :/ Was he an older guy? I have found(and I hate to generalize here but....) a lot of the older men I've seen, have poo-poo-ed this whole thing. Macho maybe? Or just extra gentlemanly and impossible to change his ways?
    Either way, it's kind of unsettling. :( I had seen an uptake of wearing masks lately, which was making me feel much safer. But yesterday when I went to the grocery store, only about 1/4 of the shoppers were wearing one and even less of the workers. And not as much social distancing as I've been noticing either. :( Are people getting sick of it or becoming desensitized? :(
    My elderly neighbor keeps stopping over to visit. :/ He's 87 yo and I've spoken to him about staying home but he stayed away for 2 weeks and felt that was enough. :( And he sees that I'm not coughing, etc., so figures all is well. He feels this is all a ridiculous farce anyways. :( I'm afraid there are still way too many who aren't taking this seriously.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious about some important points to all this:

How do they determine when 'peak' has hit, when it'll get better, etc.? I see so many places where the media says we're at peak and I am really curious how on earth they can know that? Especially since they're not even sure that people cannot contract this more than once. :/

How do we reopen the economy without recreating all the disastrous sickness, contagion, from spreading further and how will the health field/workers deal with that. It seems almost impossible for everybody to keep up now and if/when they open for business again, won't it simply become a nation of critical hot spots once again?

Discuss please? Thank you.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Speaking of reasons..

The other day I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things, I didnt have many bags, unlike my last trip where it took me 7 trips back and forth to get everything inside...

So I'm waiting for my cab, he shows up, and immediately walks right over to my cart right behind me pretty much shoulder to shoulder to grab some of my bags.

I said "it's okay, I got them" but he took them anyway.

So I get in the car and I see no disinfecting wipes or sanitizer, no masks no gloves.. nothing.

We get to my place and after I pay him, I get out and go around to get the bags and again he gets out and comes right up beside me and grabs some bags

Again I said "it's okay I can take them" and he said no no, I will carry them to your place, and I said no, it's fine, i can handle them.

I basically had to pry my bags from his hands.

I honestly wouldnt think.. at this point that i would have to be blunt and state the obvious about social distancing... as it's been everywhere you go for weeks. So it surprised me that twice he gave no thought to himself or me..

In trying to be a gentleman he removed my ability twice to maintain my own 6 feet of space.

I dont know if he just didnt get it? Or if he just didnt care. But it's people like that, that would make it hard to reopen parts of the city or county without them just coming into that space.

I was pretty mad.. last thing I need is to catch this just before I return to work because someone else just didnt care or doesnt take it seriously enough.

All i could think was... what if he had done this for all his passengers? Then by being that close to me, shared it with me cause he picked it up from someone else.... what if I was unlucky enough to bring something home from the store and by him grabbing my bags, hes got it and now sharing it with new passengers.

I actually wrote a tiny rant about it on my main profile as a vent, and someone that is no longer a friend cause they deleted themselves, condescendingly told me that they Hope I find happiness in my life so I dont blame others.

So besides the cab driver, here is another person who seems to think violation of space and potential infection from someone else should be invited with love and acceptance.

I dont blame those who ended up with it, it spread so quickly, and it's been hard to control, but I will get mad at those who dont do their own part to work together to protect those who haven't yet. Its gonna spread enough as it is, just trying to maintain some essential services to live and work, why make it harder?

Keep your distance. Wash your hands. And those red arrows on the floor at the grocery store indicating which direction the flow of the aisle is.. follow it, dont just barge down the wrong way because you're only getting 1 thing and you dont wanna walk down another aisle just to go in the right direction. It's not hard..

Lol... so frustrating when I see things like this

Perhaps a call to the cab company as a gentle reminder, since this has happened more than once.

Oh, well no, only the once, lol you read my rant the other day I'm sure, that's who I'm talking about lol

Did you have a mask on? To me, unless someone has been living under a rock for the last 3 months, it should've been obvious anyways but especially if you were wearing a mask. :/ Was he an older guy? I have found(and I hate to generalize here but....) a lot of the older men I've seen, have poo-poo-ed this whole thing. Macho maybe? Or just extra gentlemanly and impossible to change his ways?
    Either way, it's kind of unsettling. :( I had seen an uptake of wearing masks lately, which was making me feel much safer. But yesterday when I went to the grocery store, only about 1/4 of the shoppers were wearing one and even less of the workers. And not as much social distancing as I've been noticing either. :( Are people getting sick of it or becoming desensitized? :(
    My elderly neighbor keeps stopping over to visit. :/ He's 87 yo and I've spoken to him about staying home but he stayed away for 2 weeks and felt that was enough. :( And he sees that I'm not coughing, etc., so figures all is well. He feels this is all a ridiculous farce anyways. :( I'm afraid there are still way too many who aren't taking this seriously.

I ordered a mask but it hasn't arrived yet.

While he was an older male, I had two previous cab drivers other days who also were and apologized to me for being unable to help.. so who knows about this guy. Lol

But your neighbor sounds like my mom, who I've spoken about before, saying shes not scared of me so why does she need to distance herself away from me, couldn't understand how social distancing could apply to your family. My grandmother even said to her "you need to social distance get that through your head" and she looked at her and said "well we hug".. and my grandmother said "well we shouldnt be"

And even after that conversation she wouldnt distance from me, which is why I've not gone back to see them since.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    whoami67 wrote: »
    I appreciate those who were trying to discuss politics without being political, but some of the posts in response weren't seeming to follow that guideline.

Well, politicians are making it political, and it’s a no win situation. What should take precedence, economics or lives? They are intertwined. No winners, but, losers either way. I happen to trust medical experts on this one. Lives are more important. The economy can be built back up. Err on the side of caution.

Here on the MFP forums, the terms of service we agreed to when we signed up say that political discussions are not acceptable.

People may hold any view they prefer. Here, on a diet/health/fitness site, we're expected to keep discussion politically neutral and nonpolemical. There are plenty of other social media sites where politics/polemics are expected and allowed, if people want that.

I don’t see this as political or attacking. Sorry if you see it that way. It was purely meant as a way of uniting people.

I didn't see your post as political or attacking at all, or intend mine as arguing with yours.

In a sub-thread about "getting political", I just thought it was a reasonable thing to restate why we keep it nonpolitical.here.

No criticism of you intended: Just intending to be continuing the conversation.

:flowerforyou:
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    I appreciate those who were trying to discuss politics without being political, but some of the posts in response weren't seeming to follow that guideline.

Well, politicians are making it political, and it’s a no win situation. What should take precedence, economics or lives? They are intertwined. No winners, but, losers either way. I happen to trust medical experts on this one. Lives are more important. The economy can be built back up. Err on the side of caution.

Here on the MFP forums, the terms of service we agreed to when we signed up say that political discussions are not acceptable.

People may hold any view they prefer. Here, on a diet/health/fitness site, we're expected to keep discussion politically neutral and nonpolemical. There are plenty of other social media sites where politics/polemics are expected and allowed, if people want that.

I don’t see this as political or attacking. Sorry if you see it that way. It was purely meant as a way of uniting people.

I didn't see your post as political or attacking at all, or intend mine as arguing with yours.

In a sub-thread about "getting political", I just thought it was a reasonable thing to restate why we keep it nonpolitical.here.

No criticism of you intended: Just intending to be continuing the conversation.

:flowerforyou:

Thank you for explaining. My dd actually informed me of the event, knowing how much I like Carole King.
    Tapestry was a favorite album of mine back in the ‘70’s. I wore out 2 of them. Memories of an old lady!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I'm really curious about some important points to all this:

How do they determine when 'peak' has hit, when it'll get better, etc.? I see so many places where the media says we're at peak and I am really curious how on earth they can know that? Especially since they're not even sure that people cannot contract this more than once. :/

How do we reopen the economy without recreating all the disastrous sickness, contagion, from spreading further and how will the health field/workers deal with that. It seems almost impossible for everybody to keep up now and if/when they open for business again, won't it simply become a nation of critical hot spots once again?

Discuss please? Thank you.

When cases start going down consistently and it's not due to changes in testing that make testing lower, I suppose. But I agree that not knowing how much immunity is conveyed by having it presents a problem. I also agree that how to reopen is a tough question. That's what they are all trying to figure out now.

Ideally we will be able to test to see who had it (if there is immunity), will continue some kinds of social distancing and likely not jump right into big group events, and the like. Also hopefully we will find some treatment that actually works sooner, rather than later.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was reading an article today that they expect peak here will be late april, early may, but that restriction likely wont be considered being lifted til june, and they base that statistic on cases here, and how patterns are in other canadian provinces.

I'm skeptical tho.. lol..