Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I went to the laundromat today and then to the store. I have plenty of food to last awhile, but was hoping they had toilet paper back in stock. This time, I decided to not try several stores as I know that if a store is out, they all are. No sense in putting myself at additional risk for no benefit whatsoever.

The toilet paper aisle here looks exactly the same as it has for well over a month now. What is surprising is that there are still 4 boxes of Kleenex remaining. It's a respiratory illness, so that doesn't make sense... anyway, no toilet paper and no paper towels either. And since some people didn't believe me last time, here's a photo for the skeptics:
    8e8zeuqo7ze3.jpg

Good grief!

If you get desperate enough to drive down here we’re starting to see normal supply in the outskirts of Memphis. I found both tp and paper towels at both Kroger and Walmart in Collierville. Still very low on cleaning products but I also managed to snag some bleach. This week’s shortage was meat - I guess there is a panic starting due to news about the plants closing, but chicken was entirely gone and other meat very scant.

I know the Tyson plant in Waterloo, IA was under heavy scrutiny because a lot of workers were infected and a big chunk of the total cases in Iowa are related to that plant. I think it closed, at least for the weekend to clean if nothing else. My neighbor works at the Tyson pork plant here in NW Tennessee and says they are still churning out a lot of product. My brother-in-law works at the Tyson beef plant in Omaha and has been working as well. They are taking temperatures of employees and taking some additional measures to avoid spread there.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I would post a photo of the absurd displays of TP at my supermarket, but it feels kind of cruel to do that to you guys :\

Instead, I will give you this new case breakdown that's appeared on our stats information page:
    Transmission
    Transmission type of total confirmed and probable cases
    Transmission type % of cases
    Imported cases 39%
    Imported related cases 41%
    Locally acquired cases, epidemiologically linked 15%
    Locally acquired cases, unknown source 3%
    Source under investigation 2%
    Source: ESR EpiSurv extract as at 09:00 26 April 2020

Please note that ESR has changed the source definitions, cases have been classified by source of infection as follows:
    • Imported cases: Cases with a reported history of international travel within 14 days of onset.
    • Imported related cases: Cases that have a reported link (close contact or epidemiological link) to an imported/overseas acquired case.
    • Locally acquired cases, epidemiologically linked: Cases that have a reported link (close contact or other epidemiological link) to a locally acquired case with unknown source.
    • Locally acquired cases, unknown source: Cases that have no reported history of international travel within 14 days of onset and no recorded epidemiological link to a source case.
    • Source of infection remains under investigation whereby source of infection could not be classified due to incomplete EpiSurv case report forms. These cases are removed from further analyses in the sections below.

And New Zealand's full stats page for anyone interested: https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,717 Member
    Here's a pic from Huntington Beach in CA from today. Yeah, I think people have given up on social distancing, at least at the beaches here. I grew up between HB and Newport Beach in CA and while this isn't crowded by many standards, I don't think folks are really obeying the rules here. No clue what that might mean but as a 70 year old, I kind of think I'm going to be staying home for a long time even though I'd love nothing better than to go to the beach. :'(

vp59jmnvwxyi.jpg

Los Angeles County beaches are still closed. I wonder how many of those people in the photo are from Los Angeles County?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    The Memphis protest had like three guys at it. It rained, and no one was invested enough in the protest to get wet. One of the three wasn’t even from here, he drove in from Fayette county.

The few protesters we do have in Tennessee are a nasty breed, however. Nashville had some chick with a sign that said “Sacrifice the Weak.” Sign went viral. I always wonder, don’t any of these people have elderly parents? Or do they just really not like them much?

OMG that's horrible. :( People like that, actually have friends and family that still speak to them? Oh wait, being stupid and unfeeling isn't just one isolated incident. :( And it's not just the elderly parents anymore. :( It's children, babies, essential workers, doctors/nurses, healthy 20-30-40-50 yos., deaths are touching everyone. :(

Definitely a lot of ignorance out there. I read the other day about a 5 month old dying from this. It’s very sad the total lack of compassion.

The thing is with that image of the beach: most of those groups are six feet apart. That's the "rule" in California, right? I know here in Washington the rule also states to not be within six feet of anyone, and to not go out with people that you don't live with. Well, in my twenties I lived in a couple different houses with 4-6 unrelated people. What are you gonna do? Stop everyone and ask for ID? I mean, it's impossible to enforce, most people won't obey it anyway, and like someone said upthread the paranoia isn't good for us at all. Being afraid of every person out there is bad.

I live in King County, WA. We've been locked down since March 11. It's not sustainable. With about 500 people per 100,000 testing positive (and that number is derived by only testing those with symptoms, so I concede it's not representational) it's pretty hard to strike a lot of fear into people. Out of those 6,000 people who tested positive (out of a population of 2.2 million,) 361 have died. 224 of those were over 80 YO.

It's not that hard to inforce. They closed our beaches down. You weren't supposed to be driving around unless it was for a very good reason so I never got to see the beaches. We are finally allowed to go fishing for fun again as of midnight tonight. Before you were only allowed if it was because you needed to for food.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    The Memphis protest had like three guys at it. It rained, and no one was invested enough in the protest to get wet. One of the three wasn’t even from here, he drove in from Fayette county.

The few protesters we do have in Tennessee are a nasty breed, however. Nashville had some chick with a sign that said “Sacrifice the Weak.” Sign went viral. I always wonder, don’t any of these people have elderly parents? Or do they just really not like them much?

OMG that's horrible. :( People like that, actually have friends and family that still speak to them? Oh wait, being stupid and unfeeling isn't just one isolated incident. :( And it's not just the elderly parents anymore. :( It's children, babies, essential workers, doctors/nurses, healthy 20-30-40-50 yos., deaths are touching everyone. :(

Definitely a lot of ignorance out there. I read the other day about a 5 month old dying from this. It’s very sad the total lack of compassion.

The thing is with that image of the beach: most of those groups are six feet apart. That's the "rule" in California, right? I know here in Washington the rule also states to not be within six feet of anyone, and to not go out with people that you don't live with. Well, in my twenties I lived in a couple different houses with 4-6 unrelated people. What are you gonna do? Stop everyone and ask for ID? I mean, it's impossible to enforce, most people won't obey it anyway, and like someone said upthread the paranoia isn't good for us at all. Being afraid of every person out there is bad.

I live in King County, WA. We've been locked down since March 11. It's not sustainable. With about 500 people per 100,000 testing positive (and that number is derived by only testing those with symptoms, so I concede it's not representational) it's pretty hard to strike a lot of fear into people. Out of those 6,000 people who tested positive (out of a population of 2.2 million,) 361 have died. 224 of those were over 80 YO.

It's not that hard to inforce. They closed our beaches down. You weren't supposed to be driving around unless it was for a very good reason so I never got to see the beaches. We are finally allowed to go fishing for fun again as of midnight tonight. Before you were only allowed if it was because you needed to for food.

Oh, I understand - every public park/beach/trail in Washington state has been closed for five weeks. I live on the border of a county park. I can tell you that people are still using it. Ya can't fence off the whole thing. They are not even booking criminals right now. We are on the honor system. Not even ticketing violators. Unless they invoke martial law, how would you suggest they stop people? In the U.S. the police are not going to stop people.

What country are you in?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Beaches in SA were open - but our case load was a lot less and given it is late autumn now and I am a lot further south ( in the southern hemisphere, of course) than Mockchoc and SA is less densely populated than Qld, especially coastal area of Qld like the Gold Coast - then socially distancing on beaches here wasnt hard to acheive.

beaches like Gold Coast, Bondi beach etc in eastern states - different story. They were all closed.

I dont think it is realistic to keep this level up until a vaccine become available in 12 or 18 months

The question seems to me how much to reduce restrictions and at what rate - not how to keep them all going for 18 months ish
    Of course that will vary by location

I expect some states of Australia will be ahead of others there - whilst keeping their borders closed, at least to states not yet under control.

All of Australia looks likely to keep international borders closed for rest of the year - exception being to New Zealand and possibly small pacific nations - Fiji and co.

Trip to daughters wedding in UK in August - looking extremely unlikely now :/

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Australia cmriverdside. I'm so sorry you probably can't go to the wedding paperpudding. Any chance of them postponing it?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Australia cmriverdside. I'm so sorry you probably can't go to the wedding paperpudding. Any chance of them postponing it?

well, they may have to - weddings are banned in UK atm anyway

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I would post a photo of the absurd displays of TP at my supermarket, but it feels kind of cruel to do that to you guys :\

You saw what @rheddmobile said about the Memphis area - that is about 2 hr. drive away. My mom in Omaha says they have plenty in the stores and are limiting it to 1 package per person. She lives with my sister and family, and tells me that my sister and her husband are buying 1 package every time they go to the store because they don't want to run out... to what end, I don't know. I assume there is a point where they will have stockpiled enough that they will stop that. In rural Iowa where I used to live, about 90 min. drive from Omaha, they have it and are limiting quantities as well. I heard the same from people I know in Des Moines. Maybe people in my specific area are just worse with hoarding than elsewhere?! I'm actually starting to get pretty upset about this now that I'm seeing other places have it.

We still have a product limit (two packs), though it seems unnecessary at this point, at least in my town. I had wondered if our ample supply was because I live in a small town with a high retired population, so home consumption may not have increased as much, but friends around the country tell me there are no issues with the tissues elsewhere either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

You saw what @rheddmobile said about the Memphis area - that is about 2 hr. drive away. My mom in Omaha says they have plenty in the stores and are limiting it to 1 package per person. She lives with my sister and family, and tells me that my sister and her husband are buying 1 package every time they go to the store because they don't want to run out... to what end, I don't know. I assume there is a point where they will have stockpiled enough that they will stop that. In rural Iowa where I used to live, about 90 min. drive from Omaha, they have it and are limiting quantities as well. I heard the same from people I know in Des Moines. Maybe people in my specific area are just worse with hoarding than elsewhere?! I'm actually starting to get pretty upset about this now that I'm seeing other places have it.

We still have a product limit (two packs), though it seems unnecessary at this point, at least in my town. I had wondered if our ample supply was because I live in a small town with a high retired population, so home consumption may not have increased as much, but friends around the country tell me there are no issues with the tissues elsewhere either.

FWIW, there's been TP on my recent trips, too, here in Michigan/US, mid-sized city, at both Kroger and Costco. I've been there in the mid-afternoon. The shelves have been more depleted than pre-virus, but there was some there. (I didn't buy any; I tend to buy a giant Costco bale every few months - hate to shop - and had just replenished mine about a month before this excitement happened.)
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    edited April 2020
    @whoami67

Is that photo really of HB yesterday? I don't see any masks, and I've seen only a few people out without masks in SoCal the past couple weeks, even out near the beach (not on the beach; mine is closed).

Yes, unfortunately that was a real photo of Huntington Beach yesterday, Newport Beach is the same although the Wedge is closed. It was much the same today from what I saw on the news this evening. They're saying people are social distancing but from the photos I've seen I'm not very confident of that. I live in Riverside County, the 2nd hardest hit county in CA. Los Angeles is 1st of course. I'm pretty sure people from Long Beach, Seal Beach and others north of Huntington drove to the beaches in OC. I also know for a fact that our Governor does not support opening the beaches.

We drove out to Lake Elsinore yesterday in hopes of seeing the poppies blooming and drove along the lake. Only sporadic small groups of people there but Riverside County is much more strict than OC and we have to wear masks when we go out. BTW, the poppies are still about a week I think from the best view of the fields. They still haven't really opened up yet so we're driving by next weekend again. You can't stop there though or walk through there.

Stay safe where you are!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'm in rural Central VA and any of the stores I can get to all still have more empty shelves than filled. I haven't seen TP, tissues, pasta, soup, canned or dry beans, cleaning products, rice, or rubbing alcohol since the beginning of March. I don't know if it means people are still hoarding or if it is a delivery issue, but I'm starting to take it personal!

Yes, exactly the same here. Except there were some packages of TP (not much, but some) in mid-March here. None since. And a lot of other stuff is either out or in low supply. I don't know about pasta, beans, soup, or rice because I don't eat those and wouldn't notice if out. But cleaning products have been hard to come by also, but I live alone and it takes awhile to run out of something. The only thing I needed to refill thus far was toilet bowl cleaner. I found some stuff online that is totally different than what I normally use. It's a sticky gel that comes with an applicator. You apparently apply some of it on the inside of the toilet bowl just under the rim so that every time you flush, water flows over it and washes/mixes some of the gel cleaner into the bowl. I've never heard of this product before, but it is what I was able to find online when nobody had the normal stuff. It says a tube should last up to 8 weeks and I got 2 tubes, so should be able to make this last awhile.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I went to the laundromat today and then to the store. I have plenty of food to last awhile, but was hoping they had toilet paper back in stock. This time, I decided to not try several stores as I know that if a store is out, they all are. No sense in putting myself at additional risk for no benefit whatsoever.

The toilet paper aisle here looks exactly the same as it has for well over a month now. What is surprising is that there are still 4 boxes of Kleenex remaining. It's a respiratory illness, so that doesn't make sense... anyway, no toilet paper and no paper towels either. And since some people didn't believe me last time, here's a photo for the skeptics:
    8e8zeuqo7ze3.jpg

Good grief!

If you get desperate enough to drive down here we’re starting to see normal supply in the outskirts of Memphis. I found both tp and paper towels at both Kroger and Walmart in Collierville. Still very low on cleaning products but I also managed to snag some bleach. This week’s shortage was meat - I guess there is a panic starting due to news about the plants closing, but chicken was entirely gone and other meat very scant.

@rheddmobile , we’re in the same neck of the woods! Husband struck out on TP at Costco and Target last week (paper towels available and even some hand sanitizer at Target!), but I found some tp at Kroger, so we’re good for a another few weeks! Target guy told him to come back at 7:45, but that was senior hours and we weren’t in dire need....maybe in a week I might have had to be “that woman”, but was happily spared that. At the beginning of the panic he found some in MS bc there was none here.

Costco was out of chicken—the meat guy said they were getting less in and it was gone by mid morning. They were also out of random produce, like strawberries. We’re trying not to shop that often, but it’s getting tough (we have 4 boys, so there’s a lot of eating happening here!) when Walmart or Kroger pickup/delivery is “out” of 10 of your 25 items (and often if you just walk in, boom, whole shelf full of frozen spinach/half and half they said they were out of) or they won’t sell you any tp unless you physically go in and get it.