Coronavirus prep

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    There are a couple of trail races being held this month - both appear that they will be pretty small and likely we runners won't be near each other most of the time anyway. I'm a bit nervous, but thinking I might sign up. I have about a 10 days to decide before registration closes on one of them. I suppose I'll wear a mask and use hand sanitizer/ be careful as I travel and run. The thing I'm more concerned about is returning to work. I don't know yet when I will have to go back in person rather than working from home. But I know whenever I do go back, they will have screening processes in place with questions (including about travel), so I don't know if that will be a problem. Also, I don't want to end up getting sick obviously... I'm conflicted because I want to start racing again, but I know there is extra risk involved.

There are places doing virtual races (not quite as fun, but still something to train for). Would signing up for those help?

I have a friend who qualified and registered for the Boston Marathon that was supposed to be held last month. It's been pushed to September for now. Lots of races pushing the date or postponing. :(
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    There are a couple of trail races being held this month - both appear that they will be pretty small and likely we runners won't be near each other most of the time anyway. I'm a bit nervous, but thinking I might sign up. I have about a 10 days to decide before registration closes on one of them. I suppose I'll wear a mask and use hand sanitizer/ be careful as I travel and run. The thing I'm more concerned about is returning to work. I don't know yet when I will have to go back in person rather than working from home. But I know whenever I do go back, they will have screening processes in place with questions (including about travel), so I don't know if that will be a problem. Also, I don't want to end up getting sick obviously... I'm conflicted because I want to start racing again, but I know there is extra risk involved.

There are places doing virtual races (not quite as fun, but still something to train for). Would signing up for those help?

I have a friend who qualified and registered for the Boston Marathon that was supposed to be held last month. It's been pushed to September for now. Lots of races pushing the date or postponing. :(

I had a marathon and 2 half marathons at the end of Mar. and early Apr. that all cancelled or postponed. But no, virtual races don't interest me. I want to do the race, but having a hard time with weighing the risk. Obviously I can take precautions as I travel for it, but still not exactly risk-free. I'm hoping to continue working from home for awhile, but that makes an impact as well. As of yet, it looks like nobody goes back until 5/18 (keeps getting delayed) and I won't likely be part of that group. I think I might talk to my boss and see if I can keep WFH into June, then no worries about inadvertently spreading it if I pick it up at a race.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I am spending WAY more money on food, at least double. Normally, when my husband and I are working outside of our house, a lot of our meals are provided by our workplaces. In a typical week, we'd only have MAYBE three dinners together, and zero lunches. Now, I'm buying food for 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. It's been a project just to plan out the meals and grocery lists. We are also ordering carry-out about once a week, which is a lot more than normal.

As the weather heats up, I know I'll be spending a lot more on energy bills as well. When we are both out of the house in the summer, we turn the AC way down to save energy and money. But if we are both home, we'll keep the temperature at a comfortable level. My husband has no tolerance for heat, so I know we will be having thermostat wars in the coming weeks.

I am spending way less on gas, hair and makeup products (zero), clothes, travel, and entertainment (theatre tickets, museum and parks admission, etc).
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Gym is reopening here, at 25% capacity. You have to reserve a 45 min spot online, and there will be childcare (reservations only), but you can’t enter that area at all, just open the door and let them in). I am a little hesitant about going back, so I’ll probably keep working out in the garage for the next few weeks...maybe go myself without the kids in two weeks if things seem like they’re not totally blowing up.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Gym is reopening here, at 25% capacity. You have to reserve a 45 min spot online, and there will be childcare (reservations only), but you can’t enter that area at all, just open the door and let them in). I am a little hesitant about going back, so I’ll probably keep working out in the garage for the next few weeks...maybe go myself without the kids in two weeks if things seem like they’re not totally blowing up.

Yeah, I saw that gyms were limited to 45 minutes, which doesn’t make a lot of sense to me... I guess it’s meant to be a thing to reduce overcrowding? But my gym was like three guys who all sat in different corners with headphones on ignoring each other anyway, and none of us can get much done in 45 minutes. Particularly since circuit training and supersets are specifically outlawed. I’m just gonna continue halfassing my strength work from home.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Re: neighborhood parties to celebrate the lifting of restrictions. I feel like people’s brains have broken. Not one number suggests the situation now is less dangerous than when lockdown started. Every single number suggests there is far more community transmission and the risk of getting covid locally is higher by a factor of ten. On Saturday Tennessee had its highest day of new cases, almost 1200. But since the powers that be are easing restrictions, people look at that and think, “Yay, it’s over, it’s safe now!”

Guys. It’s not safe. It’s just lawmakers are starting to panic about riots if people aren’t allowed to earn enough money to feed themselves and pay rent. So they are trying to allow everyone to do those things while trying to mitigate the risks as much as possible. That doesn’t work unless everyone tries to mitigate the risk.

There was an article about restaurants reopening on Friday. They are supposed to take temperatures and ask questions about symptoms before allowing customers in, and the staff are supposed to wear masks. I wrote a post at the time saying this would not happen, and lo and behold, the reporters say it isn’t happening. One restaurant in Atoka did make an attempt to check temperatures until a customer pointed out the thermometer they were using was intended for finding studs in walls and not accurate on people. The others just shrugged and said, yeah, that would make our customers uncomfortable, not doing it. Waiters are not even wearing masks. There is not and was never planned to be enforcement - the governor has said he intends people to “take the Tennessee pledge” to do the right thing. But the thing is, when asking people to do something novel and weird, you have to require them to do it. That way everyone does it and no one feels weird. And they can point at the law and say, “Yeah, sorry, I think it’s stupid too but we can’t be open if we don’t do it.” Tell everyone it’s optional and no one will do it!

Most here are not wearing masks either. It is so simple to cover your mouth and nose... doesn't stop you from doing anything but eat/drink. It doesn't hurt anything and can help a whole lot when everyone does it. Some people haven't thought of that it seems.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Re: neighborhood parties to celebrate the lifting of restrictions. I feel like people’s brains have broken. Not one number suggests the situation now is less dangerous than when lockdown started. Every single number suggests there is far more community transmission and the risk of getting covid locally is higher by a factor of ten. On Saturday Tennessee had its highest day of new cases, almost 1200. But since the powers that be are easing restrictions, people look at that and think, “Yay, it’s over, it’s safe now!”

Guys. It’s not safe. It’s just lawmakers are starting to panic about riots if people aren’t allowed to earn enough money to feed themselves and pay rent. So they are trying to allow everyone to do those things while trying to mitigate the risks as much as possible. That doesn’t work unless everyone tries to mitigate the risk.

There was an article about restaurants reopening on Friday. They are supposed to take temperatures and ask questions about symptoms before allowing customers in, and the staff are supposed to wear masks. I wrote a post at the time saying this would not happen, and lo and behold, the reporters say it isn’t happening. One restaurant in Atoka did make an attempt to check temperatures until a customer pointed out the thermometer they were using was intended for finding studs in walls and not accurate on people. The others just shrugged and said, yeah, that would make our customers uncomfortable, not doing it. Waiters are not even wearing masks. There is not and was never planned to be enforcement - the governor has said he intends people to “take the Tennessee pledge” to do the right thing. But the thing is, when asking people to do something novel and weird, you have to require them to do it. That way everyone does it and no one feels weird. And they can point at the law and say, “Yeah, sorry, I think it’s stupid too but we can’t be open if we don’t do it.” Tell everyone it’s optional and no one will do it!

I read that the Ohio governor mandated masks worn in all stores, and after a couple of days of store employees being treated poorly for trying to enforce it the governor took it back. People are seriously yelling about their civil rights being violated by mask requirements of all things smh. What's sad is many of these people won't get sick themselves, they'll pass it on to more vulnerable people and probably never even know they did.

Something similar happened in Stillwater, OK (home of Oklahoma State University).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-city-ends-face-mask-rule-shoppers-after-store-employees-n1198736