Coronavirus prep

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Memphis is planning to vote on whether to require masks in public places tomorrow. Don’t know yet whether that also applies to outdoors with spacing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Re: neighborhood parties to celebrate the lifting of restrictions. I feel like people’s brains have broken. Not one number suggests the situation now is less dangerous than when lockdown started. Every single number suggests there is far more community transmission and the risk of getting covid locally is higher by a factor of ten. On Saturday Tennessee had its highest day of new cases, almost 1200. But since the powers that be are easing restrictions, people look at that and think, “Yay, it’s over, it’s safe now!”

Guys. It’s not safe. It’s just lawmakers are starting to panic about riots if people aren’t allowed to earn enough money to feed themselves and pay rent. So they are trying to allow everyone to do those things while trying to mitigate the risks as much as possible. That doesn’t work unless everyone tries to mitigate the risk.

There was an article about restaurants reopening on Friday. They are supposed to take temperatures and ask questions about symptoms before allowing customers in, and the staff are supposed to wear masks. I wrote a post at the time saying this would not happen, and lo and behold, the reporters say it isn’t happening. One restaurant in Atoka did make an attempt to check temperatures until a customer pointed out the thermometer they were using was intended for finding studs in walls and not accurate on people. The others just shrugged and said, yeah, that would make our customers uncomfortable, not doing it. Waiters are not even wearing masks. There is not and was never planned to be enforcement - the governor has said he intends people to “take the Tennessee pledge” to do the right thing. But the thing is, when asking people to do something novel and weird, you have to require them to do it. That way everyone does it and no one feels weird. And they can point at the law and say, “Yeah, sorry, I think it’s stupid too but we can’t be open if we don’t do it.” Tell everyone it’s optional and no one will do it!

I read that the Ohio governor mandated masks worn in all stores, and after a couple of days of store employees being treated poorly for trying to enforce it the governor took it back. People are seriously yelling about their civil rights being violated by mask requirements of all things smh. What's sad is many of these people won't get sick themselves, they'll pass it on to more vulnerable people and probably never even know they did.

Something similar happened in Stillwater, OK (home of Oklahoma State University).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-city-ends-face-mask-rule-shoppers-after-store-employees-n1198736

And a store security guard was shot and killed in Michigan for trying to enforce a face-mask requirement.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/police-probe-killing-store-security-guard-virus-mask-70492980

I swear to y'all, not everyone in Michigan is a complete f'n idiot, no matter what the news might make you think.

LOL. Those of us on the other side of the lake understand. We have our variety too.

So far (with the exception of some) most are accepting the fact that our Governor is making the best decisions for the good of the majority. He is opening a few things that tend to be solitary or family only pursuits such as hiking trails, boat landings (fishing season is starting), and golf courses with clubhouses closed. Any retailer can open for curbside or delivery and he has expanded the definition of "essential" businesses to include garden centers as long as they follow certain protocols.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,731 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    In my neighborhood at least most seem to be wearing masks and stores are enforcing it (and lots relying on delivery and delivery guys wearing them). Wards (political wards, not hospitals) are delivering them to people needing them this week. The main thing I've noticed here is people on Nextdoor fighting about whether one should wear one outside (with everyone agreeing that in stores and such they should). And as I said before no flagrant violations I've noticed in my neighborhood and lots of crossing streets to be careful when outside and running into people. Yet we are much more of a hotspot than the places rejecting them, so I feel basically hopeless. (And sorry, I know I am whiny lately.)
    Same story over here, with people on my local Nextdoor fighting about it, and me being in a hotspot county. My big worry is that even if I run well away from people (say, the other side of a wide street), someone might scream at me if I'm not wearing a mask, just for the sheer joy of screaming at someone. People are on edge these days.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    One lady/group is calling for boycotting of stores requiring masks, one reason mentioned is that because they haven’t proven them to actually help. Oi...

https://myfox8.com/news/coronavirus/reopen-nc-leader-calls-for-boycott-of-costco-whole-foods-for-requiring-customers-to-wear-masks/

Talking to a neighbor today and she is wearing a mask out and about (she’s been sick, and her 87 year old mother that lives with her has been on round after round of steroids for breathing issues... also her daughter and granddaughter are in the homes as well... 4 generations!)... she said people look at her like she’s crazy. Also saw the above linked article about the security guard which is just heartbreaking. Why the heck are people so polarized on something like this? I can’t wrap my head around it...

My children did play with the girl next door for the first time today. She has no one to play with outside of mom and gma (and mom has major anxiety/depression so we don’t see her much). Last week she just sat at the end of the driveway and watched my family play baseball together, it was heartbreaking! I did discuss it with gma first, I think she was happy to have a little relief.

I'm completely speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised if the intersection of stress-induced short fuses, honor (sub-) cultures, and polarization may be in play in a case like this. That certainly would be a powder-keg combo, and I'm thinking we may see some of that blow up, even if this one is not an instance.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I was at the grocery store Sunday and they have a continuous speaking thingie going on in the background, which clearly not everyone listens to because one thing it said was to please wear facial protection inside the store to keep everyone safer. Maybe 90% do wear face masks but there are still a few that don't. :( What is preventing them from doing something so simple, even if they feel it's a farce, or whatever their reasoning could be? I wish each and every store would make it mandatory in order to get through their doors. Isn't it the right for their business to request that? It wouldn't need to get political?? People would have no choice but to wear one because they need to get groceries. :/ I just don't understand. :(

I think people have been doing this for so long that they're getting complacent about it; maybe they've seen no one in their circle get sick with this yet so feel it's all for nothing; maybe they're fed up with all the confusion and lies coming from every direction; or maybe they still feel it's no worse than a flu. :(
    I just feel if we'd've stepped right on it from the beginning, more forcefully instead of 1 baby step at a time, it would've been so much better. :(
    I read about the way Iceland handled it right from the get-go and they have it pretty well under control. Granted, with only 360K people and being such an isolated country, it's definitely easier to accomplish.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited May 2020
    In Oklahoma, over 1/2 the cases and over 1/2 the deaths are in 3 cities. If you count the metro area, it is closer to 3/4, but harder to count. The rest of the cases are spread out over a large area, and mostly in clusters, like nursing homes. In one county, the count went from 9 one day to 61 2 days later when they checked all residents and employees of one nursing home.

When outsiders look at our numbers, they may think they’re going up, but when we look at them, we also look at the number of tests given. 10 positive with 10 tests given is a worse number than 20 positive with 400 tests given.

Our governor would like to open most of the state, but keep those 3 cities controlled.

He also wants nursing homes to continue to use strong measures to control it.

We have two hundred something covid 19 patients in hospitals, the peak was four hundred something. We have over 4 thousand beds available.

And that’s exactly where I disagree. Sick people are being turned away because beds are being held for corona patients. Why? There are over 4000 beds available! There are less then 300 being used by Covid 19 patients! What are hospitals for?

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Re: neighborhood parties to celebrate the lifting of restrictions. I feel like people’s brains have broken. Not one number suggests the situation now is less dangerous than when lockdown started. Every single number suggests there is far more community transmission and the risk of getting covid locally is higher by a factor of ten. On Saturday Tennessee had its highest day of new cases, almost 1200. But since the powers that be are easing restrictions, people look at that and think, “Yay, it’s over, it’s safe now!”

Guys. It’s not safe. It’s just lawmakers are starting to panic about riots if people aren’t allowed to earn enough money to feed themselves and pay rent. So they are trying to allow everyone to do those things while trying to mitigate the risks as much as possible. That doesn’t work unless everyone tries to mitigate the risk.

There was an article about restaurants reopening on Friday. They are supposed to take temperatures and ask questions about symptoms before allowing customers in, and the staff are supposed to wear masks. I wrote a post at the time saying this would not happen, and lo and behold, the reporters say it isn’t happening. One restaurant in Atoka did make an attempt to check temperatures until a customer pointed out the thermometer they were using was intended for finding studs in walls and not accurate on people. The others just shrugged and said, yeah, that would make our customers uncomfortable, not doing it. Waiters are not even wearing masks. There is not and was never planned to be enforcement - the governor has said he intends people to “take the Tennessee pledge” to do the right thing. But the thing is, when asking people to do something novel and weird, you have to require them to do it. That way everyone does it and no one feels weird. And they can point at the law and say, “Yeah, sorry, I think it’s stupid too but we can’t be open if we don’t do it.” Tell everyone it’s optional and no one will do it!

I read that the Ohio governor mandated masks worn in all stores, and after a couple of days of store employees being treated poorly for trying to enforce it the governor took it back. People are seriously yelling about their civil rights being violated by mask requirements of all things smh. What's sad is many of these people won't get sick themselves, they'll pass it on to more vulnerable people and probably never even know they did.

Something similar happened in Stillwater, OK (home of Oklahoma State University).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-city-ends-face-mask-rule-shoppers-after-store-employees-n1198736

god this is so twisted, whatever happened to not giving into the demands of terrorists?

Lawsuits!

I noticed after the killing in MI Family Dollar was quick to state wearing of masks by customers was NOT required by their corporation. I expect the state of Michigan will be paying damages to the family since the guard was acting as an agent of the governor of Michigan.