What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Will have to try again and try making it less runny.

Did you salt and bake your eggplant before? If not, try that first.

Yes, I did. I dried before layering too. Maybe it needed to sweat even more. The ricotta mix was with 1 egg, spinach, parmesan and mozzarella.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Will have to try again and try making it less runny.

Did you salt and bake your eggplant before? If not, try that first.

Yes, I did. I dried before layering too. Maybe it needed to sweat even more. The ricotta mix was with 1 egg, spinach, parmesan and mozzarella.

I looked up a recipe here in Italy. It said to fry the eggplant slices a bit in oil and then dry them with a paper towel.
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Baked sourdough pretzel bites. Not a meal, but the kids ate almost all of them for a snack.
  • epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    Testing, tasted, winner 😉
    svudduhxk6p2.jpg

Interesting... what is it?
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited May 2020
    Before I left for work today at 12:15, I cooked and ate Cola Chicken and rice.

Cola Chicken:
    4 chicken breasts
    1 1/2 cup of diet cola
    1 cup of salsa

Put chicken breasts in a medium pot.
    Mix cola and salsa together, and pour over chicken.
    Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
    Uncover and cook 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
    Great to serve over rice.

• epangili
    epangili wrote: »
    Testing, tasted, winner 😉
    svudduhxk6p2.jpg

Interesting... what is it?

It's yummy piece of cake.

69nusz0kxcf0.jpg

Deets... kind? Chocolate?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Are meals that turned out "meh" welcome here?

I made a "bachelor chow"-type thing with sausages, rice and veggies. The sausages were better than expected but the rice was super bland. Was hoping that cooking it together with everything else would flavour it, but it just tastes like plain rice...

It's not bad, and a little salt saves it, but if I make it again I'll toss in a soup cube or something.
  • widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    Banana brownies no sugar no flour but satisfies chocolate sweet craving. Half with gluten free semisweet chocolate chips and half with dark chocolate sunflower cups
    y8f8hjkth12r.jpg

@epangili recipe please!
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    Soybean pasta with capers/fresh tomatoes sauce and roasted broccoli- been on a pasta kick the last few days 🍝
  • epangili
    widgit808 wrote: »
    Banana brownies no sugar no flour but satisfies chocolate sweet craving. Half with gluten free semisweet chocolate chips and half with dark chocolate sunflower cups
    y8f8hjkth12r.jpg

@epangili recipe please!

3 ripe mashed bananas
    1/2 cup trader Joe's nut butter
    1/2 cup of cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp of baking soda
    Optional topped one side with a tablespoon of gluten free semisweet chocolate chips and other side with chopped up trader Joe's sunflower butter cup
    Optional one tablespoon of maple syrup
    350 for 17-20 minutes and chill covered 45 minutes
  • snowflake954
    Pasta w peas and chopped tomatoes.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Chickpea, Lentils and Spinach Tikka Masala with Brown rice and side of Cucumber Radish pickles!
  • snowflake954
    A classic. Pasta fagioli (pasta w beans).o334rht2j451.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited May 2020
    Inspired to post another lockdown vegan meal by @snowflake954 's pasta fagioli posting above, here's last night's dinner: a variation on "pasta e ceci" (pasta with chickpeas). There's about 10 million variations of this Italian recipe (one for each family, probably, LOL), and many use either bacon or pancetta. Not having either on hand, we skipped it, and the result is vegan. Grain plus legume is a complete protein, to boot. Added in some shredded cabbage and carrot for some veggie bulk. MFP computes this version as about 300 cal, 12g protein, 4g fat, 53g carb, 7g fiber per 1-cup serving.

2nd picture: we have lots of whole wheat flour, but not a lot of bread flour on hand, so I've been experimenting with various ways to get a 100% whole wheat loaf baked that isn't a "brick" when done. This is a whole wheat, molasses, whey loaf. MFP computes, per slice (10mm avg), 85 cal, 1g fat, 14g carb, 4g protein, with 3g fiber, 34mg sodium, 1g sugar. In the background, I'm getting ready to try some hydroponics (that blue and gray unit).

9lidttsxoa67.jpg

nkbv4dpdlzfq.jpg

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member

This looks delicious! Any chance you have an actual recipe (or a list of all the ingredients)? I could guess, but yours looks so good. 😋
  • snowflake954
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

This looks delicious! Any chance you have an actual recipe (or a list of all the ingredients)? I could guess, but yours looks so good. 😋

Ingredients: Pinto beans you can used canned just fine(I used dry, soaked overnight, rinsed, and cooked in fresh water until soft-salted after cooking), EVOO, finely chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic ( "sweat the chopped ingredients in the oil for 5 min)---add to beans, add tomato puree, oregano, basil, sage, red pepper, paprika, black pepper, and veg broth concentrate. The beans have their liquid, and at this point you may need to add some water. We like ours thick, but some people want it like a soup (and eat it with a spoon). I then put it all on a very low flame for about an hour until the liquid cooks down and everything gets dense. Keep checking as cooking for flavor and salt. Add as needed. You need a pasta that is smaller--pasta corte, because traditionally this is eaten with a spoon.

Of course, doctor this up and make it your own. That's the fun of cooking.

• snowflake954
    For the evening meal--skin on chicken thighs, and small meat ravioli in homemade chicken broth.nmm29gysjn1u.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Faux Moroccan tonight. Chicken and lentil Ras al Hanut stew over brown rice with a side of sesame-tahini marinated roast veggies (butternut squash and sweet potatoes tonight). Still have spotty fresh items due to covid lockdown resupply situation.

Tasty. Filling. I need to figure my macros/counts, but they're probably pretty moderate for this meal.

b0j28zhn7cbc.jpg