Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Re usable bags have been fine at supermarkets here throughout this.

Most people have them because recycling has been such a big thing here and you have to pay for disposable bags.

But you had to pack your own bags during Covid , cashiers would only pack new disposable bags. Fair enough.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Most people have them because recycling has been such a big thing here and you have to pay for disposable bags.

But you had to pack your own bags during Covid , cashiers would only pack new disposable bags. Fair enough.

It was the same here in Queensland but now they are packing all bags again. Same there now?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Masks required, and most people were actually wearing them properly! I am finding that I truly am having trouble with them though. I started getting light headed and dizzy in the store, I walked around holding the bottom open a little and deep breathing through my mouth... almost had to step out for a little while. Not fun :( I might have to compromise and make myself one out of a more open weave fabric. Less protection, but today was not fun.

I went in a Bass Pro Shop a couple weeks ago. Signs all over place saying masks were required. Guy with 3 little kids, none of the 4 with a mask, walk right by 2 employees standing at the entrance, nothing was said about lack of masks.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »

It was the same here in Queensland but now they are packing all bags again. Same there now?

Yes they have gone back to packing all bags in SA too now.

Well at least the supermarkets I go to, but am presuming g it is standard in all of them.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Masks required, and most people were actually wearing them properly! I am finding that I truly am having trouble with them though. I started getting light headed and dizzy in the store, I walked around holding the bottom open a little and deep breathing through my mouth... almost had to step out for a little while. Not fun :( I might have to compromise and make myself one out of a more open weave fabric. Less protection, but today was not fun.

I went in a Bass Pro Shop a couple weeks ago. Signs all over place saying masks were required. Guy with 3 little kids, none of the 4 with a mask, walk right by 2 employees standing at the entrance, nothing was said about lack of masks.
    Ours said over kids over 10 required to have one, so that might account for the kiddos, but not the adult. I have a feeling “required” is loosely enforced due to risk of altercation... it’s not worth losing a life, and sadly that’s happened. Who knew face masks could be so divisive. It might also be area dependent. The difference between WV and MD regulations is visibly obvious (we live minutes from the border) and that probably translates to different levels of willingness to participate. Mask usage in our immediate area in WV is a joke, 50/50 in stores, maybe. Next to zero in outdoor spaces including the frozen custard stand where people are in relatively close quarters while ordering and waiting. Wording on signs is “recommended” vs. “required” in MD. Restaurant guidelines are evidently much different as well - limited regular service in WV vs. MD still mostly carry out only from what we saw or maybe outdoor seating.

Even outdoor activity regulations were completely different. WV waived fishing licenses for a couple of months, encouraged people to get out and enjoy the outdoors, wildlife department was on social media encouraging people to post pics of their adventures. Camp grounds were closed, they did shoo off some larger gatherings at the river while we were there (launching watercrafts was OK). MD shut everything down. Fishing was for sustenance only and people were getting tickets left and right. My husband is tournament director for a chapter of a national tournament series and MD had revoked his permits until the week before the tournament, then sent out a list of guidelines that must be followed (social distancing and masks I believe) or he would risk being banned. We fully expected a game warden to pop in on Saturday.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Ours said over kids over 10 required to have one, so that might account for the kiddos, but not the adult. I have a feeling “required” is loosely enforced due to risk of altercation... it’s not worth losing a life, and sadly that’s happened. Who knew face masks could be so divisive. It might also be area dependent. The difference between WV and MD regulations is visibly obvious (we live minutes from the border) and that probably translates to different levels of willingness to participate. Mask usage in our immediate area in WV is a joke, 50/50 in stores, maybe. Next to zero in outdoor spaces including the frozen custard stand where people are in relatively close quarters while ordering and waiting. Wording on signs is “recommended” vs. “required” in MD. Restaurant guidelines are evidently much different as well - limited regular service in WV vs. MD still mostly carry out only from what we saw or maybe outdoor seating.

Even outdoor activity regulations were completely different. WV waived fishing licenses for a couple of months, encouraged people to get out and enjoy the outdoors, wildlife department was on social media encouraging people to post pics of their adventures. Camp grounds were closed, they did shoo off some larger gatherings at the river while we were there (launching watercrafts was OK). MD shut everything down. Fishing was for sustenance only and people were getting tickets left and right. My husband is tournament director for a chapter of a national tournament series and MD had revoked his permits until the week before the tournament, then sent out a list of guidelines that must be followed (social distancing and masks I believe) or he would risk being banned. We fully expected a game warden to pop in on Saturday.

Menards stores are strictly adhering to the mask rule. They have people at the entrance turning away customers for not having a mask. They will sell one to you if you so desire, but you won’t get in without one. It’s the only place I’ve been with 100% mask wearing.

The grocery store I most often shop at has always been bag your own groceries, and I’ve been shopping there for over 30 years, so no problem using reusable bags.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Menards stores are strictly adhering to the mask rule. They have people at the entrance turning away customers for not having a mask. They will sell one to you if you so desire, but you won’t get in without one. It’s the only place I’ve been with 100% mask wearing.

The grocery store I most often shop at has always been bag your own groceries, and I’ve been shopping there for over 30 years, so no problem using reusable bags.

Yep Menarda does enforce a mask for entry,, but at least where I'm at it doesn't stip people from pulling it off once inside.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    "LOL yeah, but it also means I spend more time in the store around other people, and those extra steps cause me to walk past more people, where if I just walked where I needed, I might not pass those people. So, does it really cut down risk? Or make it riskier?"

Write a list and stick to it is safest. Get in and out as fast as possible. We have almost zero active cases here and I still am doing that for now.

We have low cases in our county too.

We try to make a list. I was having trouble making a list this time because I'm on a special diet for 7-10 days and I literally had to shop for stuff to find stuff I could eat.

Whether or not you have a list, you might not realize something on your list is down an aisle until you pass it. I guess if you went up and down ever aisle so you didn't miss one, but that seems kind of excessive too.

Making the one-way aisles even more difficult for me is:
    1. I'm shopping for my mom now too, and don't have her locations memorized
    2. When the store is out of something, which has happened a lot this spring, they don't leave the empty space, but fill it with a nearby product, so I don't realize the item is missing, and search and search in circles for it. For two such items, I did note the aisles # and wrote this down on subsequent shopping lists.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    About Trump, Tulsa, and corona.
    On June 19th, Tulsa county had reported 2070 corona cases since the pandemic started. Tulsa town spills out into other counties, but we report by county, and Tulsa town is mainly in Tulsa county. 721 of those cases were reported within the last 2 weeks, so an average of 51.5 people per day. 125 of those were reported on June 19th, 136 more were reported on June 20.

6 people who came to Tulsa early to set up for the Trump rally tested positive for corona.

How many Trump people took the virus home with them, and how many Tulsa people caught it from Trump people.

Pictures show many people without masks and very little social distancing.

Why shut down so many businesses to keep people from coming into direct contact with each other, then get together a group
    Of several thousand people in one building, sitting next to each other?

Social distancing or not? If so, why? If not, why shut down business? Please help me understand.

I say the same thing about a lot of gathering I'm seeing. Wearing masks helps, but it isn't 100%. All my races were cancelled or re-scheduled... that helps, but it needs to be everything. We did 2 months of a few things getting closed, called it a "shutdown" and then went on with "re-opening" a lot of things that were never really closed anyway. It's a half-way approach with some benefits to slow the spread, but not even close to enough to stop the virus. When I expressed this point months ago, many reminded me that the point never was to stop the spread. It was to slow the spread / flatten the curve to give the healthcare system sufficient time to prepare. Except our healthcare system is no better prepared than it was in Feb. and Mar. In fact, we see Florida has just about run out of ICU beds and they are seeing more new cases each day than the prior day. So flattening the curve failed and we really should have instead gone further to actually try to stop the spread.

Flattening the curve has not failed in NM. It has worked pretty well, but that's because we actually did shut things down for quite some time. It's still here, but we aren't seeing growth...numbers are pretty static. We pretty much shut everything down March 13 or thereabouts...pretty much everything except grocery stores remained closed until early June. We just opened up restaurants for dine in at 20% of max capacity a couple weeks ago along with "non essential" stores. I imagine will continue to see these capacity restrictions in place for some time.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    But yesterday I shopped at a Whole Foods in an urbanized retail area where I had to park in a garage in the next block so I had to use the paper bags they require customers to use instead of reusable bags for now. I lost about five dollars worth of cut fruit when I got home and lifted the paper bags out of the car, splitting open the plastic container of fruit and spilling it on the street.

Keep some elastic bands in your purse or vehicle to wrap around the container. One of our big grocery chains here (where we have always bagged our own purchases) will secure plastic clamshell packaging with an elastic to prevent accidental opening.

It wasn't a case of the lid popping open. The entire container split/cracked when it hit the pavement. Some of our stores around here have rubber bands for containers you fill yourself, but they don't normally do it for pre-filled containers that are sealed with an adhesive label with the weight and price. You can't do fill-it-yourself containers around here anymore, since COVID. No salad bars or olive bars or hot food bars, etc.

Ah, I misunderstood. I've had cans of pop break open when they hit pavement so I'm not surprised light plastic split.

Here small things like berries or grape tomatoes are sold in one or two pint clamshells and are priced by item, not weight. Those are the things that will get secured because the only thing holding them closed are those little interlocking corner dimple things (which work incredibly well when you want to open it :D ). Deli salads and baked goods have the label seal.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

Basically the same here, although the charge for disposable bags has been waived since Covid started. I see some stores are starting to charge again.

One cashier chastised me for bringing my own bag saying it was a "risk" for her, even with me packing it myself. I don't see how it was any more risky than my purse or my jacket, all of which remained on my side of the plexiglass barrier and had no contact with her, but I didn't argue.