The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    @FeelinFooFoo Ouch! I can just feel his pain and suffering from here. Whisky is a tough one- especially since he's so young; I bet his tolerance is not that high. Lesson learned. I have uttered "never again" millions of times. I am hoping he will be better than us and learn young. <3
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    I bought some AF wine Sunday. It was delicious and did not make me want the real stuff. My daughter came in and saw it - kind of freaked out till see saw it was AF.

I don’t want this to be the new norm, but it was a nice treat.

I have been toying with the idea of trying AF beer / wine. I did worry it might be triggering. But I will most likely try it out, just even out of curiosity to see if it's nice. Could I ask you what AF wine you tried ? Most of the reviews for AF wine is that it's terrible 😆

I bought Frē red blend. It does not taste like real wine, but doesn’t taste like grape juice either. Maybe a mix???? I enjoyed it, but maybe bc it has been a while since I had the real thing.

I have also tried Ariel. It was ok, too
  • RubyRed427
    edited July 2020
    I was watching Marcella (Netflix). In one scene, she and her boyfriend had several tequila shots and many beers. Then the next morning she's shown looking lovely and sipping her coffee. Ha! What an illusion it can be to watch how alcohol is portrayed on tv.

I've been thinking less and less of wine in the evenings. I simply don't have any alcohol at home, so that helps. Plus I have been drinking tea much more.

One last observation... at my new grocery store there is the fruits and vegetables section and then BAM you HAVE to walk through the beer and wine aisles to get to the rest of the store. I think that's awful placement although it's for profit so I get it. I found myself holding my breath while walking fast past my fav wines.... LOL
  • Beka3695
    More on AF Wine...

I can def say this did not trigger me. I bought the bottle Sunday and had 2 glasses. The bottle is still on the counter 1/3 full. Fre red blend is 70 cal for 8 oz.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    I know AF wines and beers are controversial, and I certainly wouldn't want to suggest anything that triggers anybody. My only experience with AF wine was when I was prepping for a colonoscopy a few years ago. I don't like sweets at all, so the 7-Up, ginger ale thing was making me sick, and for my almost vegetarian self, the thought of drinking chicken broth grossed me out. So I asked my M.D. brother-in-law if AF white wine would be acceptable and he said yes, as long as it was white and less than .05 or whatever the AF cut-off is. I found it quite disgusting in taste and went back to water.

However, in her books, Clare Pooley (The Sober Mummy) speaks of really enjoying her AF beer. I've never been a beer drinker--maybe two per year on super hot Texas days. But I have been enjoying AF Becks and AF Heineken. Maybe it's because I'm not a connoisseur of beer, but to me they taste as good as the occasional "real" beers I would have. I totally understand that for some people, this would not be a good idea. For me, the AF beer (no more than one or two per week) tastes really good and helps me not even want anything alcoholic. Plus it's only 69 calories.

My HEB was carrying this Paulaner AF Weizen Radler that has natural lemonade effervescence, & I loved it.. barely even tastes like beer. Went yesterday & they don't even have a place for it anymore. Central Market doesn't carry it, either. At the same time, they've also discontinued my dark chocolate espresso covered almonds, so I'm totally disappointed with both of them at this point. You know Brookshires definitely won't have it, either. Haha
  • Beka3695
    @stephanne13 HEB is the one thing my daughter misses about being stationed in Texas.
  • RubyRed427
    Good morning friends!! Wishing you a sunny sober day! <3
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @FeelinFooFoo, I love lemon water, too. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Regarding HEB . . . In my town, we have exactly two grocery stores: The "big" HEB and the "little" HEB. Seriously. Telling the doctor where to send the prescription, you say "HEB" and she says "Big or little?" I love the store, too, but they are infamous for having something you get addicted to and then suddenly not having it. And they love to "rearrange" things so often that there is no getting used to where things are. Still, so far they still have the Heineken AF. Too bad about the Paulaner. That sounds good!

I'm doing well on my AF "personal project," but I'm considering signing up for Kate Bee's (The Sober School) 6 week course. It's absolutely NOT cheap, but I like her videos, and I'm thinking that the specific 6 week commitment might help. Has anyone taken that course? One thing I like is that she has a 7-day money-back policy, so it seems you could get a good taste of whether you really want to spend that money. Anyway, if anyone has taken it, I'd love some feedback.
  • RubyRed427
    Two sober hotties for us! Happy 4th of July in America; I'm looking forward to watching Hamilton on Disney Plus. I would have seen it downtown but it was canceled this year. Have a great day! <3
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @FeelinFooFoo, you are so funny!

@RubyRed427, I like the quotes. Like the John Hamm one, I recall hearing Dr. Christiane Northrup saying years ago that when we’re young unhealthy things say to us, “Aren’t we having fun?” Then about age 40 they announce, “Now we’re going to make you OLD.” Wisdom.