Coronavirus prep

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman Yesterday, we went UP to the higher elevations to get away from all of the pesky tourists swarming this place. We couldn't get away from them. I would pull the truck over to take photos and 10 cars would pull over right behind me. Everyone would jump out and run over to stand right by me. They all wanted to see what I was looking at. I realized these people were desperate to see wildlife of any kind. It was sad because they're literally stomping everything into dust. Talk about a herd mentality. Every year it's another million or two above the previous year. 'Rona hasn't slowed them down one iota. The motels are all No Vacancy, stacked on top of each other in the restaurants, standing outside around the block.

I'm cabbaging onto your optimism and going along for the ride.

Just curious. Did all these people wear masks?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    My company just announced that all in US and several other countries that can will work remotely until at least January, 2021, extended from October, 2020.

Getting sick of this stuff.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Speaking of Herd Stupidity, oops, I mean Herd Immunity, German study on cell phone data just came out related to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-in-south-dakota-in-august-linked-to-more-than-250000-coronavirus-cases-study-finds-2020-09-08?siteid=yhoof2

So $786 million was injected into the South Dakota economy due to the rally, and the state collected $1.26 million in tax revenue, but it's gonna cost the rest of the country $12 billion in health care costs for treating infections linked to the rally and spread out all across the country? Nice work. :s

Trillions are being borrowed to cover pandemic cost and we do not have to pay it back. That responsibility will fall on the grand kids. :(What COVID-19 is doing to many retirement income sources is not funny. Short term costs are huge but is just a drop in the bucket when compared to the long costs.

Can you say a little more about what you mean in the bolded? I kinda don't get it, so I think I'm missing something.

The main retirement sources I can think of are pensions, social security, and investments.

Pensions are rare these days, maybe endangered by companies going out of business or disastrously retrenching, but I haven't heard/read much to this effect. Social security does seem to be threatened by at least one of the strategies for putting more money in people's pockets in the short run, but it remains to be seen how that will play out. (Ideology seems to enter in here, but I won't go further than that general statement to avoid partisan political talk.) Investments, so far, if we mean stocks and bonds primarily, seem to be much more even keel so far than one might've expected. I would've thought more people would be dependent on that source now/future, because of defined contribution plans having replaced pensions in many cases.

What are you seeing, that makes you say the bolded? If it's just the deficit spending worrying you in general, related to retirement, what are scenario(s) are you visualizing?

I take your point about the grandkids.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Speaking of Herd Stupidity, oops, I mean Herd Immunity, German study on cell phone data just came out related to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-in-south-dakota-in-august-linked-to-more-than-250000-coronavirus-cases-study-finds-2020-09-08?siteid=yhoof2

So $786 million was injected into the South Dakota economy due to the rally, and the state collected $1.26 million in tax revenue, but it's gonna cost the rest of the country $12 billion in health care costs for treating infections linked to the rally and spread out all across the country? Nice work. :s

Trillions are being borrowed to cover pandemic cost and we do not have to pay it back. That responsibility will fall on the grand kids. :(What COVID-19 is doing to many retirement income sources is not funny. Short term costs are huge but is just a drop in the bucket when compared to the long costs.

Can you say a little more about what you mean in the bolded? I kinda don't get it, so I think I'm missing something.

The main retirement sources I can think of are pensions, social security, and investments.

Pensions are rare these days, maybe endangered by companies going out of business or disastrously retrenching, but I haven't heard/read much to this effect. Social security does seem to be threatened by at least one of the strategies for putting more money in people's pockets in the short run, but it remains to be seen how that will play out. (Ideology seems to enter in here, but I won't go further than that general statement to avoid partisan political talk.) Investments, so far, if we mean stocks and bonds primarily, seem to be much more even keel so far than one might've expected. I would've thought more people would be dependent on that source now/future, because of defined contribution plans having replaced pensions in many cases.

What are you seeing, that makes you say the bolded? If it's just the deficit spending worrying you in general, related to retirement, what are scenario(s) are you visualizing?

I take your point about the grandkids.

Yes, you are absolutely right on pensions and social security. I would expect that most who have investments for retirement and are actually drawing from their retirement should have that retirement money now in conservative / low risk and low return investments. This is different than someone like me who is decades from retirement and can justify investing in higher risk / higher return funds. But either way, the markets as a whole do not seem to be affected much by the pandemic - at least not negatively.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    My company just announced that all in US and several other countries that can will work remotely until at least January, 2021, extended from October, 2020.

Getting sick of this stuff.

I wish I could have worked from home forever. It was the best thing ever (for me). I am really surprised some people want to go into work. I prefer to stay in my pjs all day.

Interesting. I personally enjoy the in person interactions with co-workers and have never "gone to work" at home with out showering and getting dressed (gym shorts/sweats and t-shirt not typical office attire).

Each to their own.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    JW, why the disagreements with my above post? I’m really curious why.
    Must be because of me saying it’s scary.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    This is the latest, and we are only at the beginning of the school year with many places open for in person classes.

Half a million US children have been diagnosed with Covid-19
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/health/half-million-us-children-covid-wellness/index.html

More COVID-19 cases for children as many head back into the classroom is to be expected. I'd like to know how many were hospitalized or have serious symptoms. Also the article states that "Children with Covid-19 also tended to be older and have at least one underlying health condition." I focus more on the hospitalization, death rate and new information with continuing issues weeks/months after COVID than I do the positivity rate or #.