40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    MAX Out Power! That SUCKED! Been away from it for a bit.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Today was conditioning.
    Alternating battle rope wave x 30sec
    5 tire deadlifts
    Tire farmers carry to bottom of driveway
    Tire flip to top of driveway
    Kettlebell swings x 10
    6 rounds
  • gam3rguy
    "A Week of Hard Labor: Chest & Back"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Back and leg day. Wheww pooped. Off to hike with the hounds.
  • gam3rguy
    "A Week of Hard Labor: Shoulders & Arms"=Done!
  • jimmyhstewart
    jimmyhstewart Posts: 19 Member
    Ran 11 miles this week averaging 9:30 min miles. Happy to be running again.
  • caramelgyrlk
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    "A Week of Hard Labor: Shoulders & Arms"=Done!

@gam3rguy are you a PT yet? I'm patiently waiting.
  • caramelgyrlk
    I had to take it easy. My shoulder is aggravated again. Still in physical therapy to address the impingement.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I lifted Mon and Wed. Here's Wed: ek2fwc8zlmqp.jpg
    I ran a little Tues and did a cardio/step workout this morning.
  • cas76
    cas76 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, 44 years old. I would love to join this group. Just started back after along time off. I'd love the support and encouragement. Trying to be healthy for myself but also my family.
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Sandy, I am a Newbie to the community. I am very happy to be here and to meet all of you.
    WoW! I agree with Chefkey, Time really goes by fast.....When you're having fun. I hope to get some helpful
    advice and maybe share a couple of tips with you.

I do exercise a little but I need to lose about 30 pounds and to lose this belly fat. I need your help.
    Have you heard of Keto? Someone sent me a Free Ebook full of Deliciously Easy Keto Diet Recipes.

I would like to share it with alf1163 or anyone who is interested in Keto.
    It states that The Keto Diet is composed of approximately 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% or less of carbohydrates.  

Guys, Please tell me what you Think.

The Recipes look Great............But I'm not sure

Sandy <3
    sbaylor1021@gmail.com

• maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Keto is very hard to maintain. There are so many restrictions so its not for everyone.

I have metabolic syndrome with diabetes and my doctor first put me on a protein sparing modified fast (which is extreme calorie reduced keto) which you need to need followed closely by a doctor and dietician. I didn't last long with that. I tried a modified version since I'm carb sensitive and I did lose weight. Actually almost 50 pounds but when I went off it didn't take long to gain half of it back.

Now I'm trying to keep to carbs 40-50 and incorporating it into a Whole30 diet. I have been in ketosis so I guess its still ketogenic. Whole30 takes away whole food groups too, dairy, beans, all sugar and artificial sweeteners and is only meant to go 30days. On keto before I depended a lot on "artificial food". Since I'm on whole "real" food now I can really tell the difference. I drank diet Coke for over 35 years. That was the tough part.

I was smart this time, spent my first 2 weeks weaning off sugar, artificial sugars and starchy carbs, processed food and working down the carbs to 50. I had horrible keto flu in the past and this time I had none at all. This past week I went 100% whole30 (my keto version) and I will stay on it another 3 weeks then I will add on a little diary (miss my yogurt and cheese) and see how I do. Whole30 is an elimination/detox diet and you add things back gradually so you can see what affects you, like itching, bloating, gas. I will then add a bit of whole grain, still limiting carbs.

So over the past 3 weeks I have lost 10 pounds, mostly in my belly (my husband says I don't look pregnant anymore..grrr), I feel better, more energy, people are commenting on how great my complexion is. I had horrible itchy skin and that's about gone. No more gas or bloating. I had to cut my fingernails like 3 times! I can't remember the last time I grew fingernails at any length that weren't cracked, split or quickly broken. Probably all the sugar free bone broth (yes even most of the bone broth out there has added sugar).

Based on my own personal experience, I would start by cutting all added sugars, processed foods and junk carbs. Eat only whole grains (read the labels for sugar). It is shocking to see how much sugar is added to processed food, even things you wouldn't think like bacon or soup. Cut carbs to 100 and see how you feel then decide if you want to try keto and work your way down. I think its much easier to clean up your diet first.

Also discuss with your doctor. Personally the only successful diet I have ever been on is a keto and keto was recommended by my Dr. Usually I lose quicker keeping it to 20 but I wasn't as a "happy" dieter and I made up for it when I went off the diet. I think I can do the limit to 50 or lower for much longer. Some days I'm way under 50 if I eat a ton of salad but I never go over 50.

Again just advice based on MY personal experience.
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Bulk: Chest"=Done!
  • AllPositive1
    AllPositive1 Posts: 33 Member
    Day 92 of 112 done. T25 gamma ript up.
  • gam3rguy
    LEGS! At the gym!!!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    I've consistently been at the barn doing chores (think some lifting, a lot of pushing, pulling, twisting, walking) and riding M-F for about a month now, still getting on the motorcycles most weekends for at least one day. It's starting to pay off now that my body's rebellion has finally started to ease up a bit. Measurements steadily dropping, pants fitting better, scale is finally starting to follow.

Slowly getting back on the food wagon now too and tracking that, too.

mnlfxhcm74us.jpg
  • michaeldaily4927
    michaeldaily4927 Posts: 59 Member
    Hi all!
    My name is Mike and I'm 54 y.o. I've been at this since June and have been pretty active and committed to losing weight. I'm down about 60 lbs. and probably have 40 more to go to be honest. I do intermittent fasting (16/8) and I'm eating clean and walking a lot. I try to walk 15k steps a day and keep my calories in the 1500 a day ballpark. So far it's worked pretty well. My weaknesses are cocktails, wine and red meats. However, I have found some things that are really good that I've added to my diet. I make a killer egg white omelet, greek salad can still be awesome without oil in it, and drinking (flavored) water won't kill you. I use my soda stream and pre-mix water drop ins, and it is honestly enjoyable. I even came up with a low cal rum punch that involves soda stream Hawaiian punch, Tampico, and 1.5 oz of rum. 100 calories and you honestly thinks it's a tropical drink.
    Anyway, feel free to add me and we will see if we can work together to figure out our fitness plans and try to make sense of whatever that was in the debate last night.

Have a great day,
    Mike
  • gam3rguy
    "P90X ONE on ONE Vol. 1 Just Arms"=Done!
  • AllPositive1
    AllPositive1 Posts: 33 Member
    Focus t25 gamma - first 2 weeks done. 2 more to go.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 474 Member
    Damn, just turned forty today. :(

Which means, I can be part of the Club now, yay!!!! :*<3