The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @dbanks80, I am so sorry for your loss. <3
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, I get the resentment about missing out. As much as I am loving my sobriety and don't intend ever to give it up (Today is day 96, so I know I'm just a baby at this game), I don't care what Kate Bee or anybody says . . . an ice cold dry martini can taste mighty wonderful. Thus my fantasy of a once-a-year martini day. But keeping a daily journal really helps with that. Just last night I went back and re-read the whole darned thing starting June 15. There are enough entries about my motivations not to drink and how good I feel not drinking and how bad I felt drinking to more than balance out the "I wish I could have a martini" entries. For me, I'm finding that really yummy alcohol-free substitutes make a big difference.
    Oh, my journal also has plenty of entries about the 2020 political and racial upheaval and the pandemic. I'm wondering if my grandchildren will read it as a matter of historical interest in addition to an account of a journey into sobriety. More likely I'll burn it at some point.

I agree- a nice cold martini used to be my refuge and friend. Then, one starting to turn to 3 in a sitting. It was never enough; but I sure did enjoy that first sip!!!!

Look how amazing you are to have started AF living during covid. I think we deserve an extra gold star!
    As for your journal of the 2020 political and racial upheaval PLUS the pandemic, there will hopefully be a happy ended for your grandchildren to see. I pray!

I have been taking long facebook breaks. I hate seeing certain posts and they make me boil. I have been on Twitter more and more; Twitter makes me laugh- people have pretty clever tweets. Pence's fly has 40,000 followers and it's pretty funny.

I heard a good quote: "I want to live one day at a time; then die one day at a time."
  • RubyRed427
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Without the support and accountability of my 12 step group (there are a variety out there, not just AA), it would be exceedingly hard for me to stay sober. But knowing I must face them every week and either be AF or a LIAR, helps keep me sober. The first 2 or 3 months were very difficult, but with the help of my "Higher Power" I'm now sober for 3 years. STAY STRONG, IT CAN BE A BEAUTIFUL AND FULFILLING LIFE WITHOUT ALCOHOL.

I am still waiting for that beautiful and fulfilling life. I'm at nearly 5 weeks tomorrow. I hope it comes soon (that feeling). Congrats on 3 years. What a blessing! And all your hard work has paid off. Although we are still one day away from "day 1", your post gives me hope.
  • RubyRed427
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Without the support and accountability of my 12 step group (there are a variety out there, not just AA), it would be exceedingly hard for me to stay sober. But knowing I must face them every week and either be AF or a LIAR, helps keep me sober. The first 2 or 3 months were very difficult, but with the help of my "Higher Power" I'm now sober for 3 years. STAY STRONG, IT CAN BE A BEAUTIFUL AND FULFILLING LIFE WITHOUT ALCOHOL.

I am still waiting for that beautiful and fulfilling life. I'm at nearly 5 weeks tomorrow. I hope it comes soon (that feeling). Congrats on 3 years. What a blessing! And all your hard work has paid off. Although we are still one day away from "day 1", your post gives me hope.

I am waiting for this, too. I still cannot shake the craving for the vodka cranberry that I saw the man drinking 2 weeks ago. I am so glad there is no cranberry in this house, bc my husband has vodka. I am not interested in anything else, thank GOD!!! However, I did take a long sniff of my SIL's jack and coke last week... My daughter was like "what the heck are you doing" I replied "smelling... just smelling it" This reminds me that I am not yet in control!

Today is day 224. I agree with you that we all deserve a gold star for becoming AF in 2020 -- all inclusive, not just COVID.

Big hugs to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for being here!!

I think that's a good strategy; don't keep the triggers/drinks you love in the house. I had to buy a bottle of wine yesterday to take to a party for the host today. It is sitting in my trunk of my car; I actually forgot about it til now.
    Nothing wrong with smelling the drink. That made me smile. But the good thing is you didn't drink it. Keep on going! Let's see how long we can go.

I am going to a football outdoor party later. I am armed with a big bottle of Perrier and one bottle of 00 Heineken (no alcohol) just in case I have a hankering for a beer. I know some may say this is a slippery slope but for me it works. It does not trigger me. We all do what's best for us.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Good AF substitutes, including AF versions of alcoholic drinks, are a favorite topic on the Sober School forum. I love having the option of AF beer and the AF stout that I think tastes just like Guinness. I may be wrong but I think AA frowns on these. For me, they have been a positive and fun support.

I’m rereading Clare Pooley’s Sober Diaries now that I can relate more to her first hundred days. She relied on Beck’s Blue, which is my favorite too.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @donimfp ~ AA only has a 10% success rate...most people stop drinking on their own or with other methods so if AF subs work for you & don't trigger you, "You GO girl!!" It's all individual...no one-way fits all ;)

@RubyRed427 I love your post about anxiety...it is so true that whatever feelings we are trying to temporarily escape through alcohol will come back to bite us in the butt and bring some other friends in for the party eg depression. I'm glad that you are noticing the decline in your anxiety...that is another huge benefit.

Sounds like everyone is doing great. We have a long weekend here in Canada...Thanksgiving! So I have 2 days mostly off, I had a lovely solitary day off today and have one wee one-hour job tomorrow and then a walk in the park with my senior puppy. and whatever else the day holds. B)