The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, I'll bet we can all relate to that feeling. Way back when, I gave my BFF (who has been sober for 5 years now) a card with two women on the front. One says, "You can freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays and use it for cooking." The other replies, "Wow! What an interesting concept!" and inside the card continues, "Leftover wine!" At the time we laughed because we couldn't imagine such a thing either. There was never "extra" wine.

I've got a new doctor and told her I have recently stopped drinking. She said, "You can have one small glass of wine per day." I said, "No I can't. I can have none or ten."

I LOVE this, "No I can't. I can have none or ten" YUP!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, I'll bet we can all relate to that feeling. Way back when, I gave my BFF (who has been sober for 5 years now) a card with two women on the front. One says, "You can freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays and use it for cooking." The other replies, "Wow! What an interesting concept!" and inside the card continues, "Leftover wine!" At the time we laughed because we couldn't imagine such a thing either. There was never "extra" wine.

I've got a new doctor and told her I have recently stopped drinking. She said, "You can have one small glass of wine per day." I said, "No I can't. I can have none or ten."

Exactly !!! One is too much and ten is not enough.... or something like that.
    Thanks for your kind words before. Many of us started together back in 2017 on the Less Alcohol thread. And many of us have determined for us, less alcohol is not possible and neither is moderation. That made me smile when you and your friend laughed about leftover wine. So true!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    DAY OFF!!!!!! Had planned for a part of the day at the beach, BUT it appears from the forecast, which tends to change on a daily basis, that will not be the plan for today...SO, going for breakie with a friend and then hoping for the thunderstorm they've promised for this aft so I can just chill, lay in bed with my puppy and read a large portion of my novel...I just need one of those days ;)

May we all have a relaxing?/productive?/fun?, AF day...the commonality in that sentence is AF...so whatever we end up doing may it be AF :)

Some days it is lovely to be "forced" to relax and read. Love a good thunderstorm for that reason! Congrats on your new puppy!!
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    lol, my personal saying has always been "one's too many, and a hundred'd not enough". Funny (well not really) thing is, I used to say it about others. Karma!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @whitpauly, I totally get what you're saying. That's how I've felt about counting days. And even checking in to this great group. I've wondered, "When do I ever get to stop thinking about alcohol?" It hasn't happened yet. And you['re right . . . none of the former smokers I know are so conscious every day of not smoking. I don't have any idea what the answer is. I just wanted to say that I feel the same way. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that alcohol is absolutely everywhere. At least it is in my world.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Thanks everyone for your input <3 I think I just have a particularly hard time with the forum I'm on because they are so judgy in a way,I've seen people chastised and told they're "back to day 1" after an accidental sip of something alcoholic,or some that have made progress yet aren't completely AF yet get beat up in away for that,plus some of the horror stories are triggers in a way( even though they're being told to help someone not pick up a drink) for me I'd just rather forget,I don't mind checking in here cuz we prop each other up in a way and listen with compassion instead of judgement,I like that about all of us😊
  • lorrainequiche59
    @RubyRed427 There's no "new" puppy ... it's my old puppy ... he's technically a "senior" (11 going on 12) but he's really a "puppy @ heart" <3

@lilarose1027 Very loving to be supportive of your hubby's resolve to stop drinking. Certainly he'll appreciate having an AF home to work on his issue. :)
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    I love this thread. I am 8 days now. My runs are improving. I am feeling happier. I worked out every day this week.

Ruby red i totaaly get the need to finish off others wine. I hate wasted alcohol.
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Well put as usual @lorrainquiche59
  • lorrainequiche59
    @RubyRed427 A sober vacation is such an accomplishment. Proud of you! :D

Today is a holiday here, but I must work. I could move it to another day, but will regret having too much work in one day just to have this day off. I've been feeling a little blue lately....something's brewing inside of me. My antidote is to count my many blessings, and to repeat as needed throughout the day....

One of my many blessings is this thread and the support I have here.
    Another is, It is a beautiful sunny day with the cute wee birds chirping away...I bet birds don't get depressed LOL But if they do, they sing anyway...!
    I have a reliable vehicle to get to work and I have work to pay the bills...AND before I know it, I will be done my work and glad I went!!

Hope everyone's day has many blessings <3
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    RubyRed great work on the sober vacation. I always feel like drinking is part of vacation.

Lorraine-we should all count our blessings. I find when I am sober I realize when I am going down. You are strong and you will get past this.