The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Thank you @RubyRed427 and @lorrainequiche59. Yes, being kind to myself means thinking of alcohol as "treating myself" to a big ol' swig of anxiety. Now why would (do) I do that??? I hate anxiety, but wine might as well have a big label on it saying Chateau du Panic or something like that. This little flirtation with it has only reminded me of how bad I feel when I drink.

Lesson learned!! Now on to day 101 <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    @donimfp Chateau du panic LOL :D
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you @JenT304 big hugs🤗 waves to all have a great AF day💖
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Sending you love @JenT304 💙 every single day is a fresh start! 😘
  • RubyRed427
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It’s so quiet on the thread 🌸hopefully you are having success, but if not , it’s ok to let us know how you’re doing or if you’re struggling. I have heard from people Who say it sometimes takes several brave tries and fails at sobriety, to make it long lasting or a lifestyle change. (Even though nothing is permanent- wolf is always waiting in the woods.)

I was listening to Robin Williams take on alcohol. Obviously, he struggled so much with alcoholism and other things, but he still can bring a laugh about something so serious. You can find his bits on YouTube.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @donimfp Chateau du panic LOL :D

Funny ! 😀
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @donimfp SO many great observations. "Big ol swig of anxiety." SO true.
    I fell off the wagon hard over the 4th (and 5th and 6th etc.....you know how it is. Never just one day for some of us.)
    I'm climbing out of the bottle today and will have a day of self care, meditation and prayer, watching inspirational videos and some exercise. It's a new day and I just have to move forward.

YUP!!! Tis a new day and you WILL move forward!! You GO girl!! <3
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Jen T304. you look young to have granddaughters. Go you!
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    magairlin wrote: »
    Jen T304. you look young to have granddaughters. Go you!

Ditto!!! <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    Hope everyone is well <3
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    aroze0928 wrote: »
    I was cleaing a drawer looking for something the other day. I stumbled on a receipt from February and there was a case of michelob ultra on it. I went back thru my diary to see how many days I crashed and burned and it was 3. Looking back I did lousy so my official start date was March 5th.
    I felt disgusted finding that slip. And of course my first thought always turns to the kids. And the guilt swarms in.
    What can I do but keep working on a better today and tomorrow.
    Happy AF weekend to all.

One way to view it is that you’ve come so far, they will remember you as you are now- healthy and strong. Forgive yourself because you did the best you could. We go through hard times to learn and grow. Sounds like you’ve come a long way!
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    aroze0928 wrote: »
    I was cleaing a drawer looking for something the other day. I stumbled on a receipt from February and there was a case of michelob ultra on it. I went back thru my diary to see how many days I crashed and burned and it was 3. Looking back I did lousy so my official start date was March 5th.
    I felt disgusted finding that slip. And of course my first thought always turns to the kids. And the guilt swarms in.
    What can I do but keep working on a better today and tomorrow.
    Happy AF weekend to all.

One way to view it is that you’ve come so far, they will remember you as you are now- healthy and strong. Forgive yourself because you did the best you could. We go through hard times to learn and grow. Sounds like you’ve come a long way!

Thanks Ruby for your comment. Its nice to know I can come here for support. Now that I'm not drinking my kids have vented to me that they dont like it when I drink and that gives me a lot of motivation to not want to let them down. Have a great day!
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    @aroze0928 The purpose of guilt is to signal that we have done something wrong and that we need to correct it. You've done that....That was then, THIS is now. Once guilt has served it's purpose, continuing to punish ourselves with guilt only serves to cause us to feel bad about ourselves....you do not deserve that!

I agree with Ruby that you need to forgive yourself. Easier said than done if we tend to beat ourselves up, but it CAN be done. I think it is fantastic that your kids vented their feelings to you about your past drinking. It shows they respect and trust you enough to share their feelings with you. So you can be PROUD of that!! <3