The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING <3

I've been dealing with my anger AGAIN!! It "seems" to come out of nowhere, but after I've worked through it and examined what led up to it, I can see the perfect storm of seemingly insignificant events or words from someone that set me up for a simmering slow burn that ends up with me bawling my face off a few days later...only after I've beat myself up in the special way that I tend to do!! Wondering what is WRONG with me...!! :'(

My work begins with asking myself what is underlying my anger, (hurt, helplessness, frustration are at the base of it-anger is a secondary emotion)!! And then I can predict the waterworks :'( A friend once told me that "our tears are like poison leaking out of our eyes"!! I like to think of it as "fluid therapy" Crying is a good thing...I always used to feel ashamed of crying, but now I think of the healing there is in crying.

ANYHOO, after I examine what is hurting me, frustrating me or what am I feeling helpless about, then the anger dissipates and the waterworks begin after I allow myself to feel the hurt, frustration etc. BEFORE I stopped drinking, I would just get angry and drink to stuff (or drink) it down...not realizing my anger is trying to tell me something, I wanted to get rid of it...and drinking worked...temporarily!! (my former "fluid therapy") Not realizing that by "drinking it down" I was actually adding another layer to the many layers of pain that were hardening inside of me. SO that is what is surfacing NOW!! All that anger being released as I deal with the hurt...layer by layer.

THIS too shall pass!!

May everyone have a peaceful AF day <3
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Its hard work Lorraine isnt it. So many emotions to work through. I know we can all relate. I have my hard days and think well this would have been a drinking day or I'll say to myself well Id start early today if I was still drinking. Its all a work in progress. Ive come out of hiding and Im facing all these emotions without dulling any pain from alcohol and now realize that drinking anything and any amount was leaving me feeling heavy and with overwhelmingly more problems and more wasted time. Have a great day everyone.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    @JenT304 Awesome 👏 job setting your goals and congratulations on your pounds lost!
    @Ram1960 Fantastic story! Kudos!
    @lorrainequiche59 💕 reading your posts!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    @donimfp and @whitpauly Great to see you both so active on this thread! Terrific! 💃🤸‍♀️👍🤗
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @whitpauly, so sorry for that bizarre experience! She sounds like one of those “Here comes crazy. Cross the street!” kind of people. It’s funny how we can all relate to the feeling that “this would have been a drinking day”.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @whitpauly OMG what a horrible person you had to deal with! I can't even imagine. Good for you for keeping your composure, I would have knocked her into next week. I'm proud of everyone's milestones and accomplishments this week. My diet went off the rails this weekend but back in the saddle tomorrow! XXOO Jen
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I've been AF for 35 days now. I'm following the Alcohol Experiment, it was a 30 day challenge but I'm continuing it for as long as I can. I don't drink much socially, but I'd drink a lot of wine at home (mostly weekends). Once I bought a bottle and opened it, I'd usually finish it in one night. Too much wine at one time. Almost like binge drinking.

Great success !! Keep it going- sounds like AF lifestyle is working for you. Xo
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Our local columnist posted a whole article about the Sober Curious movement. I saw it on my Facebook page. It was interesting to read all the comments. It was about kicking off Dry July.
    I’m heading on vacation with the family (first trip without ex husband). I’m going with my parents, my sister and family and my own two kids. It won’t be a temptation at all to drink. My sister is sober and my parents drink a glass of wine at dinner. The old me used to spend evenings at the bar chatting and having drinks at this resort. But happily for the last two years including this year, I’ll be reading, horseback riding, exercising, etc. You get a lot done when you’re sober! Have a great week!

Fun!!! Have a blast lady! 🐎 🐴 🥾❤️❤️❤️👏🔥👍