The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    @MissMay I also check your thread. Both threads give me motivation.
    You can never have to much information or support with our topics.👻🎃 Happy Halloween all
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    It just occurred to me I did Sober October! A few of us have!
    I think on @MissMay 's thread, she posted " A November to Remember" is next.

One of the negatives of being sober is isolation. I just don't feel like going to friend's house for football party. Or out after work for happy hour. I am slowly moving out of my isolation though.
  • RubyRed427
    @donimfp hahah very funny story- I laughed out loud about the car mix up.
    On Friday, one of my teacher friends whom I do know likes to drink a lot said to me, "I think today we ought to go to happy hour after work!". I think she was fishing to see if I'd bite. I didn't really say much but just smiled. If I would have gone I am SURE I would have had some wine and ruined my streak.

So, I understand how your colleagues suggested happy hour after work- it seems like the perfect way to end the week- and I am like you - at home afterwards I would have polished off plenty more.
  • RubyRed427
    363days wrote: »
    This is a great thread and I'm glad to find it. Last night my daughter shared a story with me about an incident that happened this week with a woman we know who had been "taking care of" her x-boyfriend. They lived in separate apartments in the same building and although the boyfriend relationship was over, she could not let go of feeling that she was responsible for his health. (She had not discovered al-anon) She came home late from work and thought to check on him but decided to wait until the next morning. The next morning she discovered that in a drunken stupor he fell, hitting the corner of a glass table with his head, and died. The funeral was yesterday and such a sad story for all, the man, the woman, his two children and many more. Alcoholism destroys so many lives, it's not just about me, when I drink. I know I use food the same way I used alcohol, but we CAN DO THIS. We can get healthy and have joyful lives.

Welcome to our thread!! We are in this together. Very sad tale about the ex boyfriend. I am positive it happens dozens of time in a day all over the world. It is so tragic.

I remember watching a youtube video made by a young man who filmed his mom drunk lying on the floor of their house. HE was narrating it and talking to her. She was saying I can't get up and I dont want to. The young man was quite calm because he has seen this happen every damn day. He said his dad also enables his mom to drink because Dad is an alcoholic too. That sad image of a drunk mom lying on their floor is seared in my mind.

I saw a tweet on twitter that said right now 50 million people are drinking in the world. (Friday night tweet). Someone replied about what you miss from begin sober (like vomiting, hangover, embarrassment, memory loss). Then, I saw one reply that said "My mom is drunk now." and I figured it was a young person just sharing the pain on twitter. The comment was short but heartbreaking.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Thank you for the reminder @donimfp! After nine of these, number 10 will be my first sober one.

And for those of you outside the U.S., I'm sorry that you've had to put up with so much blather about our election!
  • RubyRed427
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    donimfp wrote: »
    Another sober first: a very important presidential election. I do know that if I were drinking, I'd be drinking a lot. I'm thankful I won't be drinking on election night--either to drown my sorrows or to celebrate. Bed with a good book and herbal tea will make this much more healthy for my body, mind, and spirit than the way I spent the last 3 elections. Let's commit to good self care on Nov. 3.

My sister took off work tomorrow cuz she will be drinking tonight for the election. I have absolutely no desire to drink. At this point I really dont care who wins because we cannot change the outcome one way or the other. I will be going to bed so I can work out tomorrow morning.

I think drinking would exacerbate depression and anxiety over the election. I was sober too and am going for a walk. Have a good workout!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Another sober first: a very important presidential election. I do know that if I were drinking, I'd be drinking a lot. I'm thankful I won't be drinking on election night--either to drown my sorrows or to celebrate. Bed with a good book and herbal tea will make this much more healthy for my body, mind, and spirit than the way I spent the last 3 elections. Let's commit to good self care on Nov. 3.

My sister took off work tomorrow cuz she will be drinking tonight for the election. I have absolutely no desire to drink. At this point I really dont care who wins because we cannot change the outcome one way or the other. I will be going to bed so I can work out tomorrow morning.

I think drinking would exacerbate depression and anxiety over the election. I was sober too and am going for a walk. Have a good workout!

Hope your walk was a nice relaxing walk. I am shocked it's been so nice here in Illinois the weather has been in the 60s and 70s all week well into the weekend!! Now that puts me in a good mood! LOL!
  • RubyRed427
    2 weeks AF 😄

Already feeling better, about everything. Absolutely loving SS with Bex Weller.

I hear you! I'm happy for you- it is so worth the "sacrifice" - feeling better is a great reward.
  • RubyRed427
    Before prescribing a medication for a fingernail issue I’m having (yuck) my doctor ordered a liver function blood test. It came back perfect. I feel quite sure it wouldn’t have been so great 124 days ago. Yay! I didn’t feel the need to “cram” for that test for a few days first.

What a nice relief!
  • RubyRed427
    2 weeks AF 😄

Already feeling better, about everything. Absolutely loving SS with Bex Weller.

I hear you! I'm happy for you- it is so worth the "sacrifice" - feeling better is a great reward.

🤗 thanks! Yeah when I weigh it up, I can either feel good most of the time (When AF) or fling that all out the window for a very temporary 'buzz' which leads to me feeling AWFUL for days !! No contest 🤷‍♀️

Oh, I remember you said on here you have signed up for the sparkle project. I looked that up, I might try it too. At a later date once iv gotten more AF days under my belt.

I have completed the sparkle experiment, it seems that was a free prelude to the sparkle project. It was a wee extra on the SS membership site. It was only an experiment for 9 days, but I feel like I got a heck of a lot from it. So, I probably will try the project too! Let us know how you find it won't you ! 💖

Totally agree- for a few hours of perceived fun, my body and mind suffers so terrible. And then it takes me days to get it under control. It's simply too much effort drinking at this point of my life.

The sparkle project for week 1 was cooking for yourself. So, I got some groceries and veggies and made two meals. I didn't order take out like I usually do every day. I felt energetic after eating home cooking even though I am a bland cook.

I think you will be a motivation for your brother who drinks just like I did. He will live and learn and hopefully not make as many mistakes with alcohol as I did.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Two months and three days sober today! I haven't done that in about 2 years. I will keep it going. I am starting to crave much less each day. Even at friends house last night, all were drinking and one friend was slurring and crying after wine. I felt almost smug that I was sober. I knew the pay off was a good workout this morning.

OOOPs I misread one of your previous posts...HAPPY 2 months & 3 days sober <3