WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 40min 55sec, 3.67ap, 95ahr, 119mhr, 101elev, 6.15mi= 545c
    Strava app= 745c

Didn’t get a chance to spin, had to make dog treats and go shopping for a table/cabinet to hold my shredder and printer and stuff
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,769 Member
    Options
    Katla - I should clarify I watch a lot of tv as well, my problem with DH’a is the volume and content. He watches the paranormal shows, forged in Fire, wrestling, a bunch on History Channel.
    I watch the singing competitions and mostly dramas or Dateline.
    I know the show you are talking about, some of it is filmed here in Alberta. It sure is a feat to get the accidents cleared safely and quickly.
    Happy that your DH is doing better today after his incident last night.
    My Mom was in the hospital for 2 weeks after almost slipping into a coma once.

Debbie - I like the quiet too, it I like listening to music. I forget to mention the zombie shows mine watches. We did watch a show last night we both enjoyed, the new one called Next and there are a couple shows we watch together.
    Your Mom was married young, I did the math. 🙂 I think if I was home all the time I would start volunteering or something. I want to stay active in something that uses my brain.

Heather - I complain a bit, but in the evenings we only have 4 hours from the time I get home until he goes to bed. We usually eat dinner together, I go take a bath, we visit and if he wants to watch something I don’t I go to the bedroom and watch what I want or I sit and catch up on here. He goes to bed at 9 so I lower the volume, walk to some show I have on and then go to bed at 10. On the weekends he usually goes to the bedroom as he knows I like to have the space to clean with him out of my way.
    This is why I want to make the craft room a sitting room, so we don’t have to go to the bedroom to watch tv. In warm weather my DH spends a lot of time out in the shop. It’s not heated though so not for Winter.

Michele - I hope Vince is doing better.

Lanette- it’s opposite in our house I have sensitive hearing and hubby has difficulties in some registers. He says, “if people would quit mumbling I could hear them”, my response is always “or you could look at hearing aids as was suggested”. 😂 we have a lot of respect for each other though and have each other’s backs. Even if we do have habits that irritate the other sometimes.
    It’s taken a lot of work to get here though.

I have been giving thought to getting one of the puppies that would be a sibling to the one my daughter is getting. I have convinced myself not to, my biggest fear is not having money in the event of a medical emergency and needing a vet. I also don’t know if DH and I would agree on how one is raised. I think I’ll just enjoy the Grand puppy I’ll be getting.

I am off for my bath.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,938 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Barbie - I am a little envious of your alone time. I have not been alone during waking hours in my own house since June 2019. I am alone each morning from 5am until I leave for work, but I don’t really count that time as I’m asleep for most of it.

Tracey in Edmonton

I have only been alone in my own house once since July 2018 when my husband came home from the hospital ... it was when he stayed overnight in the hospital in March 2019 because of his first seizure. The rest of the time, he's home or out with me all the time.

The only breaks I get are going to work, and when he sleeps.

M in Oz
    Machka - what a long time to have no down time.
    😂I loved your mindfulness story.

Tracey in Edmonton

I don't know where I would go or how I would take a "day off".

I have to ask, why do you stay with these men? ;)I would say to them, "Shape up, or ship out!"
    I am baffled. Why would you let anyone else dictate what happens in your personal space?
    We, DH and me, are not perfect, but we respect each other's privacy and choices. No one overrides my space. Especially audible.
    It's so easy these days to each have your own audible space with headphones etc. If they are annoying you, say so. Why would you let anyone take away your liberty?

Truly baffled, but said in love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

What would you do if your husband started showing signs of dementia or had a stroke?

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I was up early this morning so got some housework completed before leaving for work. I hope that doesn't become a habit as I like my sleep.

Tracey in Edmonton

I had a chuckle at this !!

My sentiments exactly! :smiley:

M in Oz

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💛💚💙💜🤎
  • Machka9
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Exciting day already and it's only noon.

I had my final university workshop (online of course) this morning. The very last one ... no more lectures, workshops, tutorials, labs, or related things for this degree!

During the workshop, it was advised that my group reduce the size of our assignment. We were told that if we were actually doing this for a business, the size would be perfect, but because we're doing it as an assignment with a word limit, it should really be shorter. That means a bit more work. <sigh>
    But overall we're well on the right track.

I just need to pass this assignment with 50% to pass the course and be finished the degree. I suspect we could hand it in now and get that, but we're putting in a final effort up to the due date/time of tomorrow night at midnight.

There is a severe weather warning and accompanying severe weather going on again out there. We're in the midst of a big "swirly" (you can see it if you look at Windy) which is bringing a whole lot of wind and rain. By October 5th we were already over the monthly average rainfall, and this system could dump another 20+ mm on us.

So I dressed for the weather and headed out to catch my bus ... which was late. But it wasn't too long before we discovered why. The driver kept having to stop the bus and turn it off, wait a bit and then turn it on to try to get the hydraulics working so that the bus could lower itself toward the entry door which would allow the ramp to be used. But that didn't seem to be helping.

And then, just as we were about to pull out of a stop, the right front tyre blew with a very loud BANG and the front of the bus dropped. In good news, the ramp could be used!

But we all had to get off the bus and walk to where we could catch another bus ... in the wild weather.

And now, I'm at work with both some work and some uni stuff to do. Hoping for a peaceful afternoon.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    P
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,769 Member
    Options
    Machka - woohoo no more lectures! I am so happy for you.

That was an exciting ride to work, I hope the ride home is better for you.

Tracey
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Machka -That is a very good question and one to which I have given a lot of thought. I don't actually know the answer, but I do know I love my husband very much. I would do my best to help him, as long as something was coming back and I felt loved. I am not a carer by nature and I would not sacrifice myself, past a certain stage. I admire carers like you and Rori, but I couldn’t do it if the person I loved was gone. A care home would have to be the option, once things got beyond a certain stage.
    For myself I am resolved not to get to the stage where I no longer in charge of my own life. I have plans to end it and have read up on the subject. DH does not agree with me, but it is my choice. I do not want to go into a home.
    Like most things, it's complicated.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - woohoo no more lectures! I am so happy for you.

That was an exciting ride to work, I hope the ride home is better for you.

Tracey

:)<3

Yes, I hope going home will be all right. It has been pouring out there which tends to snarl traffic, so I hope that road situation is still good.

Regarding TV ...

My husband and I don't have it on until about 5:30 or 6 pm, with the one exception that if the Tour de France has highlights on during the day on a weekend, we might watch that!

There's just nothing all that interesting to watch.

Even in the evenings there's not much. Fortunately right now, it's OK. We have programs from 6 pm to 10:30 pm each night. But that changes from month to month. In a few weeks, they could drop a show or two. The only reason we have something to watch each night right now is because they are running three episodes of Midsommer Murders - one on Saturday and one on Monday and one on Wednesday. That's a bit unusual and I wouldn't be surprised that as we get closer to summer the Saturday one will be dropped, and possibly Monday as well.

Between December and March, we usually end up popping in a DVD and watching a movie one or two nights a week because there's nothing else on.

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies B)

Recliners - the most comfortable recliner I ever had was a naugahyde Stratolounger I picked up a yard sale 40 years ago. When we moved to the farm into a house with a with a teensy living room, I let DH talk me in to getting rid of it because the footrest, when engaged, impeded the flow of traffic. I haven't found one yet that I can sit in for more than a couple minutes without 2 or 3 various sized pillows wedged in behind my back. I'm missing the upper curve in my back for some reason, and need a big lumbar support if that makes any sense. Being tall, the cushioning hits me in the wrong place in all of them since. Sigh.

Wanted to mention my Amazon find of the month. A lady in a FB group I'm on talked up these microfiber cloths as reusable replacements for paper towels, which are getting pretty expensive:
    Finally, I have a lightweight dishcloth that suits me, plus these guys are really absorbent so they can be used like towels. The Amazon blurb says don't use bleach - I have used them in the sink with Clorox cleanup spray to get out stains, no problem. Not supposed to wash them with other fabrics, so I put launder them in a little washtub by themselves and squeeze out the water, hang to dry. I'd say I've cut down paper towel usage by at least 2/3 so far.

Chicken chili turned out yummy but a bit salty. That's OK, I'll eat it anyhow. I didn't take into account that rotisserie chicken has already been brined, salt added to the beans and the McCormick chili spice mix I threw in there.

Machka - I guess you had an exciting day! That poor bus! Your wet "swirly" weather sounds neat, actually. If the weatherman doesn't change his mind, we're due for about 4" of rain this Friday night through next Tuesday, plus some nice wind gusts to go with it. :p

Question for you yoga buffs - how are you faring now that your classes have been shut down for a while? Are you continuing with stretches and poses on your own? Following something online?

I noticed yesterday as I was out in the garden attacking the dead tomato vines, how inflexible I was despite doing a few morning stretches, especially the old hamstrings, so need to add dedicated stretches that to the routine.

OK ladies, dogs are giving me the look.

Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Machka9
    Options
    Good morning ladies B)

Recliners - the most comfortable recliner I ever had was a naugahyde Stratolounger I picked up a yard sale 40 years ago. When we moved to the farm into a house with a with a teensy living room, I let DH talk me in to getting rid of it because the footrest, when engaged, impeded the flow of traffic. I haven't found one yet that I can sit in for more than a couple minutes without 2 or 3 various sized pillows wedged in behind my back. I'm missing the upper curve in my back for some reason, and need a big lumbar support if that makes any sense. Being tall, the cushioning hits me in the wrong place in all of them since. Sigh.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Recliners ...

My ex and I had one way back when. He liked it. I didn't. I think it went with him when he left. I also tossed most of our soft furnishings then.

I have tried other recliners and the bigger and cushier they are, the more uncomfortable they are.

Instead, I purchased a sofa that suited me much better and I have had that sofa now for 20 years. I can hardly believe it! It was the only piece of big furniture I had shipped to Australia. I still call it my magic sofa ... I lie down on it and I'm asleep.

I am looking forward to spending some time on my sofa soon! :)

Meanwhile, most of the time, I sit in a large comfortable desk chair. I have spent so much time in this desk chair, I think I'm on the verge of needing a new one. The faux leather is all falling apart. That's also a possibility for a grad gift for myself. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    We're caught up in this ... a dual low-pressure system which probably explains my headache today. It has brought a lot of rain to my island to add to all the rain we had last weekend! I'll start swimming to work soon.

pqa7qqda4wer.png

qsf30ya1vqik.png

But meanwhile, there's another hurricane bearing down on my brother and his family. They've evacuated again to Houston. Unfortunately, there area has hardly had a chance to recover from the hurricane just a few weeks ago.

scio99s5e7q8.png

Machka in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KELLY ~ Love all the photos you have shared. You are so pretty and I think your daughter looks so much like you. The boys could be twins...So Cute! :)

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    From Action for Happiness ...

"Life is far from perfect, but there are lots of reasons for optimism. Setting positive goals for the future gives our lives a sense of direction and purpose. And although we face many challenges there are also lots of reasons to stay hopeful. By consciously choosing our priorities we can overcome issues, make progress and focus on what really matters."

45msr0bdhq8o.png
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/optimistic-october

Remember that things can change for the better

Hopefully soon! Like perhaps when I finish this assignment!!

Make progress on a project or task you have been avoiding

Not avoiding ... diligently chipping away at this assignment. :)

However, I did have a look at something to do with the Brain Injury COM I'm on.

Kind of looking forward to having projects or tasks that have nothing to do with assignments!

M in Oz