Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I was looking thru the posts here and it seems like we know so little about this virus even after a year. :( One thing that bothers me is folks saying that the vaccine will GIVE you the virus so you will be contagious, I don't think that is the way it works. You might feel a little ill for 24-48 hrs - which is how the shingles shot effected me, but I don't think I was contagious for shingles after I had the shot. Just as I don't think the flu shot gives you the flu and you are contagious or the tetanus shot gives you tetanus. etc... I realize that this is a brand new type RNA of vaccine but I am pretty sure that no where is anyone saying you actually GET COVID from it.

Hope I am not wrong here.

My understanding is that there are two types of vaccines -- those that result in potential "shedding" of the live virus and those that don't. I don't believe we have yet been informed which category these two potential options fall in.

Even if you're shedding the virus, it wouldn't be accurate to say you "got" the disease in question. It would just mean you would need to be cautious, like people had to be careful back when they gave the live polio vaccine prior to 2000. People who received the live vaccine didn't "get polio," but vaccine-derived polio (someone getting it from someone who had received a live vaccination) was a thing, although rare.

If you go back a page or 2, I think it was here that there was an article posted yesterday from the Moderna CEO explaining that their vaccine allows for shedding of the virus.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    edited November 2020
    I was looking thru the posts here and it seems like we know so little about this virus even after a year. :( One thing that bothers me is folks saying that the vaccine will GIVE you the virus so you will be contagious, I don't think that is the way it works. You might feel a little ill for 24-48 hrs - which is how the shingles shot effected me, but I don't think I was contagious for shingles after I had the shot. Just as I don't think the flu shot gives you the flu and you are contagious or the tetanus shot gives you tetanus. etc... I realize that this is a brand new type RNA of vaccine but I am pretty sure that no where is anyone saying you actually GET COVID from it.

I'm anxious about the vaccine more because it hasn't been tested very long and I anticipate it being promoted very aggressively. I am for taking experts' advice in some areas like mask wearing and social distancing, but for vaccines I would take a wait and see approach.

I think that with COVID, people have been quick to say that they are trusting science, but I don't see where we have had time to actually follow the scientific method. In science, you are supposed to make observations, then test a hypothesis. After testing and analyzing, you don't actually prove that your hypothesis is true-- you fail to reject your hypothesis.

After many failures to reject a hypothesis, it becomes a theory. And a theory isn't proven, you just fail to reject your theory. I think that people are working hard to get this solved and I definitely understand the urgency, but I hope that there is some patience with those of us who don't rush out to get the vaccine.
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Fewer %age wise at least...far more have also contracted the virus than before. It's a virus, it's spreads. That's what viruses do. I don't know the solution, but this whole lockdown, isolate, social distance thing is harming people just as much as Covid is and most people don't want to acknowledge that the cure is turning as bad or worse than the disease.

I'm in medical coding - specifically I'm a reviewer for Inpatient coding for a large hospital chain. I see alot of Covid charts - basically every chart that has a covid+ code on it (U07.1) flags/stops prior to billing and we review it to be sure it's correctly coded, that the pt has a positive covid test, to be sure that the new tech codes for the new treatments are properly applied if applicable. They also send us the numbers/% of bed, vent, HFNC usage for the prior week. Admits are up but vent and HFNC use is down and they know how to treat it now so outcomes are better. So I have no hands on Covid treatment experience but do have a very good grasp on the treatments used and how many are being admitted each day/week. Over the summer and early fall Covid admits were down and in the last month they have gone up quite a bit.

On the other hand psych admits are up and many people list Covid (both fear of and restriction related) as a contributing factor.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

My understanding is that there are two types of vaccines -- those that result in potential "shedding" of the live virus and those that don't. I don't believe we have yet been informed which category these two potential options fall in.

Even if you're shedding the virus, it wouldn't be accurate to say you "got" the disease in question. It would just mean you would need to be cautious, like people had to be careful back when they gave the live polio vaccine prior to 2000. People who received the live vaccine didn't "get polio," but vaccine-derived polio (someone getting it from someone who had received a live vaccination) was a thing, although rare.

If you go back a page or 2, I think it was here that there was an article posted yesterday from the Moderna CEO explaining that their vaccine allows for shedding of the virus.

I missed that - thanks!