WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @machka9 I had never heard of 8 hour day nor Anzac Day!

If the rest of the ladies here were coming to your location, what would the top 3 highlights be? What 3 places would you take us all?

1) Walk along the Seine.
    2) Sit in a cozy, quiet, friendly café or restaurant, for a quiet moment of dining, talking.
    3) and also... boat trip on the Seine, great after a day of walking.
    People over and over again say that, after all, what they loved the most was walking around the streets and stopping at cafés.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    8 hour day is known elsewhere as Labour Day.

ANZAC Day is similar to Remembrance Day. Remembrance Day is celebrated too but not with a holiday.

ANZAC stands for something like Australia New Zealand ... Army Corp maybe.

M in Oz
  • annabananamc
    annabananamc Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Today is kind of cloudy and muggy on the Gulf Coast of FL, but my son finally arrives home in a couple hours and I can't wait to have the family together. Hoping I can talk them into a bike ride on the trail this week! I have off all week (unpaid furlough) and I am determined to actually take the time off. I like my job well enough, but not well enough to do it as a volunteer!

LisaInAR - great idea about the alarms. Here I am Monday morning sitting at the computer already and not walking. I am going to set an alarm for ten minutes from now and GO!

Katla49 - thanks for the idea to have a post open right next to the forum. I'm trying that right now!

Whidislander - I may have to try out those Hello Dolly bars, and then give most away so I don't eat the whole pan.

SuziQ - I hear you on the routines changes with work at home. Hours can go by without moving, and my fanny is spreading as a result. I'm with you on doing as best we can until new year, then hit 2021 with a PLAN!

cityjaneLondon - I love the idea of setting an exercise time with your spouse, even if doing different things. I think that might be a good idea for my and my husband to try.

Machka9 - for me a beach walk is so healing, and it does feel good on the feet!

SophieRosie - I also never thought I'd love a Kindle, but then when I started traveling more, I realized that I had to choose between books or clothes and shoes, and with the Kindle, I can bring a 'stack' of books on any trip!

barbie - I love the grocery pickup Santa analogy. I'm going to think about it that way from now on!

drkatiebug - I sure hope your mom heals quickly, and they get to the source of the falls. That's frightening stuff.

Now I'm gonna go get that cut and paste post and reply!

Annie McG
  • annabananamc
    annabananamc Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Getting to know me:

What excites you right now? (can't be the vaccine. :)) - My family being together with real time off for husband and I

What are you looking forward to? (this can be the vaccine, but doesn't have to be. :)) - , We are renting an airbnb cabin in the woods in NC for a week next week! (which is also my 59th birthday 12/25!)

What’s the best thing that happened to you this year? - This year, my son really blossomed as a young adult man (recently turned 19) and we have enjoyed phone calls, sharing recipes and cooking ideas, and just talking about life while he's away at college.

Where did you grow up? Florida age 0-5, West Virginia 5-17, Wisconsin/Iowa 17-22, Michigan (Detroit then Travers City) 22-36, Austin, Texas 36-41, Florida again 41-present, with a short stint in MD 53-57. Still working on the growing up part

What do you do for fun? - I have a hard time letting myself just have fun, but when I do, I love being active out in nature, crafting, hard puzzles, and reading.

Is there a charitable cause you support? - several! My most recent is the Maker Effect Foundation, in Central Florida. They do lots of projects, events, etc. and have a makerspace to support creative people.

What is the one thing you like best about yourself? - my brain and my compassionate heart, in combination

What’s the most important thing I should know about you? - I truly love people and try to see the good in everyone

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :) I love wandering around the grocery store, looking at what's available and reading labels as I shop from my list, but my husband's health and well being rate much higher on my list than this idle pleasure. Our decision to go to grocery pickup was tough for me and now I love it.

:) The same thinking applies to my dance class. I love getting together with others to dance and I've heard of plans for group dance classes outdoors, but for health reasons, I am isolating. I dance by myself at home and the good part is that I dance only the dances I like and if I really like a dance, I'll dance it several times. Because I know the dances, I don't have to take time to go over the dance so I dance more.

:) I have been in touch with people I haven't seen in years because of Zoom gatherings that have been planned by others.

:) I live in a neighborhood with wide, flat roads and practically no traffic so two people walking and talking together can stay safely distanced.

:) I was already aiming toward a more intentional life and this time of isolation has made me even more aware of making choices that are truly important.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Someone shared this with me and I thought maybe some of you would appreciate it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GKnIz0Rj3qg&feature=youtu.be
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊🤍😆💙
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    🏃🏽‍♀️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Great Barbie! That's what I think when I see some of you baking biscuits and making candies. If I gave them to people they'd look at me as if I was trying to kill them! :D
    So many people with restrictions on this and that. Even the kids are strictly rationed on candies and biscuits. Bea gets very hyper on sugar.
    I'm so glad I'm not cooking this Christmas, except for mincepies and pigs in blankets in the garden. I think I can manage that.

The weather was looking good so I suggested a walk to the sea. We looked at the forecast and it said rain. :o
    I bundled myself into a fleece and anorak and we set off. The sky gradually darkened as we were out, but we made it back home in time. Looking very gloomy now.
    The sea was up and the tide was high, so my favourite noise was filling the air. Wonderful! B) It felt soooo good.
    Four young people were obviously up for some kind of dare, because they were in their skimpy swimsuits, holding hands and running headlong into the waves! :o It was predictably freezing and they came straight out, but mission accomplished!
    Oh to be young!

Rebecca - I used to be the most disorganised, procrastinating person imaginable. It got me into all kinds of trouble when I was young. I've struggled all my life with self-discipline. Meeting DH has changed all that because he is a creature of routine and habit and very self-disciplined. I used to despise exercise and routine. I was a 'free spirit'. Free to accomplish little. Now stuff actually gets done. He has been such a good example for me. He has been so encouraging for my exercise, so that I have got to love it for its own sake. My health could have been a very different story. I was on my way to a sad old age.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kay
    So sorry to hear about your mom's accident. I hope she will feel better soon. The very idea of getting teeth knocked out makes me shiver.

Barbie
    That YouTube video was funny and probably quite true in this day and time.

Carol in GA

• charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the doctor. My liver kidney and thyroid numbers are borderline. Cholesterol is high. Time for some serious work on diet and exercise!

Annie in Delaware
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    If the rest of the ladies here were coming to your location, what would the top 3 highlights be? What 3 places would you take us all?

I would take you to Bottomless State Park where I live. It’s a beautiful park!

Downtown Roswell where the Alien Museum is.

And White Sands National Park.

RvRita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    What excites you right now? (can't be the vaccine. :))
    Nothing exciting happening right now.

What are you looking forward to? (this can be the vaccine, but doesn't have to be. :))

The chance to visit family this year after getting the vaccine..

What’s the best thing that happened to you this year?
    The park closing. Time to do things for the park I can’t do when people here.

Where did you grow up?
    Connecticut

What do you do for fun?
    Reading
    Hiking.
    Walking
    Photography.
    My website.

Is there a charitable cause you support?
    Raptor Rescue Hawks Aloft and A local dog rescue

What is the one thing you like best about yourself?

My tenacity

What’s the most important thing I should know about you?
    I try to help when and where I can but sometimes I sound bossy without meaning too.

RvRita
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Just got home this morning from being at my parents house- lots of candy(fudge/caramel cor/toffee bars/nut clusters/etc)made since I got there on Friday-
    Need to catch up on here- 7 more pages to read. Waiting on my daycare girl to come in.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: You are lucky to have a walking partner. Mine is the dog and I’ve been on the lazy side for a while. DH hasn’t been feeling well enough to accompany us riding his mobility scooter. :embarassed:

M in Oz: 84.5F sounds like a perfect spring or summer day. This morning is currently 42F, with a predicted high of 45F. We haven’t even had a hard frost so far this year. :noway:

Dr. Katie: I am so sorry for your mother’s fall and broken teeth. :cry:

Barbie: I love the youtube humor and find it very close to our current reality. :laugh: It reminds me of Jim Henson’s Muppets Family Christmas dinner. If I recall, the Chef was chasing the turkey with a cleaver and they all ended up sitting down to tofudy beast for dinner. :bigsmile:

(((Allie:))) You have been through a stressful situation. As time and healing work their magic I am hoping things get better for you every day. :heart:

RV Rita: I would take visitors to the Oregon Coast and the Columbia River Gorge. If there was enough time for distance travel I’d add in Crater Lake in the remains of Mt. Mazama. It is spectacular. My parents took me there when I was grade-school age. It is the farthest natural wonder in Oregon from where we now live. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: live stream church, zoom council meeting, W+M report,
    Bonus: veg prep
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call R, Copy CPFA folder and deliver to Chief, , corrected roster to Cal-Or, analyze CPFA folderwatch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, Monday call State Fire Marshall’s office re: reporting, next Thursday at BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, ask faucet question, if answer ok order.
    Do Good December
    13: See how many people you can smile at today: Joe and the council=9
    14: Share a happy memory or inspiring thought with a loved one: .

Bingewatching Holiday Baking Championship instead of actually getting up and making goodies is not good for me. Fewer steps and more sweets start an unwholesome cycle that ends with creaky joints. Today I will spend more time in the hot tub, kitchen and driveway than in the recliner in front of the tube.

Thanks Heather, for the pics of your Lamicall phone stand. It would be a big improvement over the stack of books and boxes I use to zoom council meetings, coffee klatsches and happy hours! I really envy your conversations with Johnny. Joe is not very communicative. It would help if I would take time to just sit with him and wait him out. He does chat a little then, but by then I’m itching to be up and doing.
    Julie interesting pics of the GF pastries, but none of them appealed, thank goodness! Would you remind me what it is that you teach?
    SuziQ! Never tiring of you! SMH at the roof situation, grateful it’s finally being replaced. :love: that wreath, the non-traditional colors somehow look tropical to me, appropriate! Keyboard easier than clicking, amen, sister, amen.
    Ann in FL 50K ultramarathon? WOW. Where in CA was that trail?
    Lisa SNOW??? Kings Corner sounds fun. Alas, Joe has no interest in playing cards, one of the things I miss from my days living with Mama and Papa. We had lots of fun playing card games… until Mama and Papa discovered contract bridge ;P Getting to know... another brilliant idea, but think I’ll save it for tonight’s post. This one is encyclopedic enough already ;)
    Rebecca your chief sounds like Joe, who always wants to kiss me after eating smoked oysters. Yuck!
    Barbie “grocery pickup is like writing a letter to Santa and getting everything on your list” :love: :laugh: :love: “Nothing says Christmas like … “ video made me laugh out loud. Reminded me of the 7 years Mama had to make separate dressing for me as I was an ovo/lacto veg.
    Ginny what you said about weighing food as package/portion sizes can be misleading. My favorite hummus says 2 TBS=30g, but nope one TBS leveled off pushes 30 g. Makes a huge difference.
    Kay ah thanks. Had to us a different browser to see the buttons. :love: your smile when you said “I have a real heart for this” It shows! Wish I could watch your conflict resolution class, think I could really benefit from it ;} Your poor mom, were you there when she fell?
    Machka what was affecting the beach’s water quality? great idea! It will allow us to travel vicariously.

If you lovelies came here, Day one I’d take you all on a jet boat trip up the Rogue River stopping on the way back at Cape Sebastian for the view. ). Day two we’d get up early and go to Circles in the Sand near Bandon, stopping on the way back at Cape Ferrelo viewpoint to watch the migrating whales. . Day Three we’d stroll along the Winchuck and Chetco rivers, or along Sporthaven or Lone Ranch beaches, finishing at a warm sunny sheltered picnic table above Harris Beach for sunset watching, Oregon wine and cheese. . The weather in October is reliably nice. Whales are usually going south toward the end of December and back north in late March. March would be rainy, December could have some brilliant days. But you’d all have to come at least twice, The jet boat trips only run when the whales don’t.

Allie awake and sitting up in bed is VERY good! The possibililty of no power for your defib is VERY worrisome. Doubt that Jean would go with you to your place to care for you, would Sean?
    Flea thanks for the Corden video. IMHO they needed giant teddy bear dolls and big shaggy dogs . . .
    Annie you can do this. One question, do you get enough fiber? I’ve found 5 psyllium fiber capsules a day have really helped my cholesterol.
    Rita, like you I do like to help and can unintendedly sound bossy. Even worse, my Mama who loved me, told me I was “officious and condescending.” It had the painful ring of truth :cry:

Ok I’ve gone way over allotted time. The sun is shining and its time to take Tumble down the drive, while Joe has Shadow down to Crissey Field.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 10, weigh: 13, steps>5505=2027 vits=13 log=13 CI<CO=11 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble & Shadow 5=11 mfp=13 outside=8 up hill=8
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=2 dance= clean 30 mins=1.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=8 play=0 sew=0
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I have been squabbling with Apple. Their robot wants me to change my password & I refuse. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won’t have to go through this again anytime soon. 🤬
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hello everyone.

SuziQ - I agree that there is nothing exciting on TV right now. There are a few shows I watch with the mister, but I don’t really enjoy them. The writing is terrible and in one of them, I don’t trust any of the characters, so it’s hard to like it. We just finished the series Schitt’s Creek, so now there really isn’t anything enjoyable. I prefer books and podcasts to TV these days.

Julie - I agree that one of the best things about Paris (and most European cities I've been to) is walking around the streets and stopping at cafés.

Allie - Sending good wishes for a quick recovery!

Kay - So sorry about your mom’s accident. That sounds truly awful. Hoping she is on the mend soon!

I also have difficulty with “favorite” things. I like so many. It’s easier for me to identify least favorites.

Lanette - I also love the Kindle, especially for travel. When I received my first electronic book as a gift, I was very skeptical. Now, I don’t prefer reading physical books. What I do have trouble with is remembering which books I’ve read. With a physical book, you bookmark your page, close it and set to somewhere where you see the cover. With electronic, I never see the cover of the book once I “open” it. The mister asks me what I’m currently reading and most of the time, I have no idea what the title is.

We are still technically on “stay-at-home” orders here, but we drove through one of our favorite neighborhoods yesterday and it was very crowded. People were shopping local, which is good, but it doesn’t look like people are concerned about staying home.

My health in the spoiler.
    For my health, I feel it’s improving a bit. I don’t feel light headed anymore and my shortness of breath seems to be improving. My heart rate is still too high for my comfort level, but I think the anemia is improving. The doctor has scheduled me for a procedure on January 4, but it’s not guaranteed to solve my problem. So, when I speak to him next week, I am going to request surgery that solves it permanently. I cannot live my life being unable to plan anything. I’ve already had to cancel a live aboard diving trip because of this. I don’t want to have to put my life off any longer than I already have had to between this and COVID.

I am able to be away from the house for short periods of time. We went kayaking for a couple of hours yesterday. At least if there is an incident, I can just jump in the water and pretend I fell in to mask the mess. This also is proof that my shortness of breath is better. A week ago, I could not have done that without gasping for air.

It’s raining here today. Well, more like spitting. Not enough to register, just enough to make everything messy.

Tina in CA