Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell
    I heard they are arriving in all 50 states today.

There are more roads in the US, than any other single country in the world. Flat out, an iimpossibility to monitor them all. What has been lacking here this entire time to slow the spread of covid, which other countries have successfully managed to do, is a national policy and leadership. We are about to surpass 300,000 deaths, and 16,500,000 cases. Those stats speak for themselves re: national policy.

Thats good promising news. 🤞
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Yes, the US governance system is relatively decentralized, compared to some other places, but without the power over interstate borders that EU members exercise. (I can't speak to the relationship of states to the federal government in other large places like Australia, legally or geographically.

In Australia the state borders were not closed by the federal government, Scott Morrison the prime minister, was in opposition but state premiers over rode that , the premiers of each state made decisions to close state borders and to whom ( some states were open to other safe states at different times but not all to other states)

There were some exceptions for essential travellers like truck drivers and people could apply for exemptions on compassionate grounds

Not sure what you mean by geographically ?? Other than Tasmania which is an island, states are geographically connected.

So how do the premiers of the states enforce closing state borders?

As has been mentioned a few times earlier, in the US is is common to have literally 100's of roads crossing state borders. Impossible to control/monitor all of them.

Most states are connected by highways - there was some police presence at borders.

Some people tried to sneak in via back roads - one car was bogged and had to be rescued (needless to say, also copping big fine)
    Domestic flights were almost non existent during this time.

and I guess most people just complied - sure, more of them could of trekked through the bush off the highway if they wanted to - but how to become a social pariah in one easy hit.
    Like some young people who went into Queensland against the rules - you didnt meet with a warm reception by doing this. :*

Like other laws I guess - we don't have police checking every car to see if you are wearing a seatbelt - but most people just comply

Interesting. In my part of the US the hundreds of roads connecting my state to the surrounding states are "all weather" roads and with the possible exception of a major snowstorm shutting rural roads down for a day or 2 would not bogged down on them or would have a need to go through the bush to get to another state.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a nice explanation of where we are regarding whether mRNA vaccines can prevent spread. The NY Times does have a paywall, but it gives you several articles free first, so hopefully it is accessible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I doubt most (if any) US states have enough state police troops to adequately man every single possible road into the state. It's just never been something they've needed to do, so they wouldn't staff for it, especially considering how razor thin state budgets are. The federal government is relied on in a crisis by the states because the federal government's budget is way more flexible than state budgets are allowed to be.

Regardless, I can't even imagine what kind of backlash from the anti-restrictions groups would have resulted in any state trying to close it's borders.

Except California, perhaps. Maybe there are roads I don't know about, but CA has had checkpoints on roads entering the state for years. They are looking for fruit mostly. It's a thing... but to be fair, I've driven through and just been waved through the checkpoint without even getting asked if I had fruits. Maybe they recognized my username? (kidding).
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I doubt most (if any) US states have enough state police troops to adequately man every single possible road into the state. It's just never been something they've needed to do, so they wouldn't staff for it, especially considering how razor thin state budgets are. The federal government is relied on in a crisis by the states because the federal government's budget is way more flexible than state budgets are allowed to be.

Regardless, I can't even imagine what kind of backlash from the anti-restrictions groups would have resulted in any state trying to close it's borders.

Yes I accept the geographical logistics is different and there are 48 states in mainland America and budgets and etc etc differences - but anyway that is what happened in Australia barring exceptions for essential travellers and compassionate exemptions on application.
    And I think some leeway for people on borders who worked or schooled other side and could travel directly there if they lived within 20 km of the border, something like that.

Very minimal backlash, the vast majority of people understood this and just complied.

Yep this.. if you needed to cross a border for an essential reason you applied to do so.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I suspect many people in other countries are underestimating compliance levels here in the US . . . and I'm not saying there are *not* waaaaayyy too many who are noncompliant. There are. And culture is a part of that, the individualism. But around me, most people are complying with requirements.

I, from Australia, accept that may be so - however I was also going on Kimny's comment ( a poster Ive not known to be prone to exageration) who said " Regardless, I can't even imagine what kind of backlash from the anti-restrictions groups would have resulted in any state trying to close it's borders'

and that just didnt happen in Australia - there was very minimal backlash and certainly nowhere near enough to result in any change of policy.
    I think would of been far more backlash had safe states suddenly decided to open borders to states still having community transmission rather than the reverse.