Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Just listened to the doctor from This Week in Virology who viewed the first several hours of the FDA hearing (he had to log off before it was over to go to work). He said he was impressed by the data presented and assumed it would be approved (which we know it was).

He said it looks like those vaccinated have more titers than those who were infected.

He said soreness at the injection site and a headache are common upon vaccination for 24-48 hours. Fever and noticable fatigue look to be found in @ 15% or so.

The current US policy is that each individual state determines who is eligible for the doses assigned to the state, typically the state public health dept.

He works at a NYC hospital and noted that unfortunately he is starting to see multiple members of families being hospitalized together, he assumed these are Thanksgiving consequences :disappointed:

He still suggests pregnant women wait to be vaccinated, as well as "probably" children under 16, just because the data is a little limited.

He said immunocompromised people should be fine getting vaccinated, but there is no general rule yet, so he suggests consulting your doctors first, it would be a case by case basis.

From a much less good source than that (it was an NPR report, don't recall which program), I heard a rough ballpark from some expert (think it was the head of the first hospital to start giving the injections?) that in the trials around 80% of people were experiencing some kind of side effect, mostly short (hours) and minor (sore arm, headache, as you say).

Further, he said they were timing their staff vaccinations so that there was a staggering, i.e., a subset of each department got the vaccine at the same time, so that if a small number needed to take a few hours or day off because of more significant side effects (the fatigue and fever sort of thing), they would still have good staff coverage. I think he said their conservative (higher than probable) planning number for staff possibly needing time off was something like 20%, though my memory is less clear on that point - but it's pretty consistent with the numbers from your better source, Kimny.

I appreciate you letting us know key points from those podcasts, Kimny!

Seconding the appreciation for Kimny's "This Week in Virology" highlights!

I had a sore arm and headache for a few days from the flu vaccine too.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Just listened to the doctor from This Week in Virology who viewed the first several hours of the FDA hearing (he had to log off before it was over to go to work). He said he was impressed by the data presented and assumed it would be approved (which we know it was).

He said it looks like those vaccinated have more titers than those who were infected.

He said soreness at the injection site and a headache are common upon vaccination for 24-48 hours. Fever and noticable fatigue look to be found in @ 15% or so.

The current US policy is that each individual state determines who is eligible for the doses assigned to the state, typically the state public health dept.

He works at a NYC hospital and noted that unfortunately he is starting to see multiple members of families being hospitalized together, he assumed these are Thanksgiving consequences :disappointed:

He still suggests pregnant women wait to be vaccinated, as well as "probably" children under 16, just because the data is a little limited.

He said immunocompromised people should be fine getting vaccinated, but there is no general rule yet, so he suggests consulting your doctors first, it would be a case by case basis.

From a much less good source than that (it was an NPR report, don't recall which program), I heard a rough ballpark from some expert (think it was the head of the first hospital to start giving the injections?) that in the trials around 80% of people were experiencing some kind of side effect, mostly short (hours) and minor (sore arm, headache, as you say).

Further, he said they were timing their staff vaccinations so that there was a staggering, i.e., a subset of each department got the vaccine at the same time, so that if a small number needed to take a few hours or day off because of more significant side effects (the fatigue and fever sort of thing), they would still have good staff coverage. I think he said their conservative (higher than probable) planning number for staff possibly needing time off was something like 20%, though my memory is less clear on that point - but it's pretty consistent with the numbers from your better source, Kimny.

I appreciate you letting us know key points from those podcasts, Kimny!

Seconding the appreciation for Kimny's "This Week in Virology" highlights!

I had a sore arm and headache for a few days from the flu vaccine too.

I'm hoping for the best because I had no side effects from the flu vaccine. Knock on wood, but the only shot that's done anything to me is the tetanus shot.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell
    I heard they are arriving in all 50 states today.

There are more roads in the US, than any other single country in the world. Flat out, an iimpossibility to monitor them all. What has been lacking here this entire time to slow the spread of covid, which other countries have successfully managed to do, is a national policy and leadership. We are about to surpass 300,000 deaths, and 16,500,000 cases. Those stats speak for themselves re: a viable national policy.

Yes. At this present moment, it is 308,010 deaths, and 16,934,969 total cases on the chart.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    The backlash is super noisy, and potentially dangerous . . . but it's a minority. But Kimny's right: I can't imagine the backlash if state borders were closed, either, given what happened when much less extreme measures were imposed. (Of course, I'm prone to exaggerate . . . . 

Oh I wasnt saying you are prone to exaggerating either, I hope you didn't read my post that way.