WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    I found a place that does geriatric consults and memory care assessments. I wonder if I could get my mom to go get an assessment. Tricky subject to bring up. She keeps telling me her cardiologist says she is fine. But my Dad is on my side. He has started to notice how she will ask the same question over and over. It's tough because they still dismiss me as the child. I'm 59!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Worked today. Tomorrow is the soup kitchen so I’ll probably do a body pump video in the morning. I just don’t want to bother Colby in case he needs to work

Fae – Mary is so right. Your response was great. I’m sure the “disagree” was an accident

M – CONGRATS!!!!

Cathy in TX – If I had to leave a party as soon as I needed to use the bathroom, I’d be lucky to say “hi” to people….lol

SuziQ – what a neat Zoom!!!

KJ – love your poem to Fae

Katla – good luck at the dentist

RV Rita – like you, even before the Covid stuff, I always wiped the cart handles at WalMart. I would see a lot of people who didn’t. Then Covid hit and I couldn’t believe how many people were suddenly cleaning the carts! And cleaning like no body’s business. And now I don’t see as many people cleaning. Well, their loss, not mine.

As far as my job – boy, was it cold today. Temp.-wise it was warmer than yesterday. But the sun wasn’t out and there was some humidity in the air so it made it where the cold just went your your bones. Anyway, I see they hired a lot of new cashiers and cleaners. I was told how very “important” this job is. Well, if it really is so very important, the first hires would have been for this job, not for cleaners. If it truly was “important” the one and only time I got a break they would have had someone doing the job – but they didn’t. Normally, I am the type of person who would have gone and gotten the carts before I left. But, sad to say, I’ve gotten to the point of “that’s not my job”. I hate feeling this way, but, oh well…..

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Lanetter I am with you. I wish there was more talk about what we can do to strengthen our natural defenses against this illness.

I am continuing to try to eat more fruits and veggies in a day to feed the microbes that will keep me healthy. So far so good...
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Machka and Pip—Thought of you with this.
    mion34uq3j29.jpeg

Tina
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    The main factor in response to covid is your age. Unfortunately for DH and me. 75 and 71.
    Second is your genetic makeup, which you can't change and don't know about unless you have had the very new genetic testing. Some people have an inflammatory response to the virus. You won't know if that is you until it happens. This causes clots and damage to all organs, not just the lungs. If you survive you will have Long Covid. Eyes, kidneys, etc even fingers can be affected.
    Obesity is a contributor. Other auto immune diseases, but it is difficult to predict who has the DNA that is so deadly.
    I try to stay healthy. I take vitamin D, I eat masses of fruit and vegetables. I exercise like a demon, but I have no idea what my response to a novel disease will be to which none of us have a previous natural immunity. I think I would survive. I'm not sure about DH. But previously healthy young people with the wrong genetic markers have had inflammatory responses and are sick for many months.
    We are isolating. I'm happy about that. I'm looking forward to a vaccine with great optimism. :D I carry on trying to be healthy. But covid is a lottery. Hugely weighted against us older folks.

Had a huge pile of kale for dinner! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Cut the walk short, started to rain, we weren’t dressed for a long walk to go in that

Short walk w/family and wash yogi- 25.38min, 3.23ap, 88ahr, 112mhr, 1.39mi= 265c
    Strava app for walk only= 169c
    Zwift bike trainer- 50.20min, 167elev, 145ahr, 164mhr, 24.1amph= 529c
    Strava app = 539c

Total 794 cal
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    charsuzy wrote: »
    Faetta wrote: »
    Oh, how lovely! I get a disagree right away! What do you disagree with? Do you disagree with my personal experiences and knowledge? I would like to know from anyone hiding behind that disagree button. Maybe you disagree with medical science. Speak up and tell us why. SuzieQ asked what would I do and I answered.

How sad that political preferences can be posted here by some and not violate the rules, but I give my experiences and understanding of medical science and how it applies to me and I get a disagree.

Any wonder why so many have left this thread? This thread is under MOTIVATION and SUPPORT. Disagreeing with such a personal post as I made is neither supportive nor movtivational.

I agree with what Fae wrote - why disagree with her post? It seems rather odd, ... not very supportive.
    Let's be supportive. A person answers with her own opinion, medical understanding and experience - I don't understand how that is disagreed with ??

charsuzy <3
    WA state

Tell me what you guys were talking about, I’m curious
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rita: It sounds as though you’re doing great. WTG!!! I like stevia, too & usually put it in my coffee. :star: I haven’t baked in months. :noway:

schOtzz99: I love the cycologist shirt! :star:

Heather: We are also isolating. DH & I are in a situation somewhat similar to yours, but DH is at much higher risk than me. He has two autoimmune diseases, diabetes and MS. He will have a high priority when the vaccines are available here. I am hoping we can get vaccinated together, but if that isn’t an option he should definitely be included early on. My only “high risk” is age. Like you, I’m 71. DH is two years older. Neither DH nor I have been in large public gatherings. We live in a community that is working hard to stay healthy. Seniors get early morning priority at the grocery stores and everyone wears a mask when out shopping. No one gets in our favorite stores without a mask, including employees, & all ages from young children with their moms to seniors. Thank goodness! This isn’t herd immunity, but it is good sense. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I just got home from the dentist, and I am still partially numb. Her assistant did a great job cleaning my teeth. The dentist looked over my xrays and fixed two teeth. She was satisfied with my dental health habits. YAY!!! She did a great job for me and I’m pleased. She is my new dentist and this is the first time she’s done work on me. She was a good choice. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Can't take credit for the lyric that I wrote. I didn't post the artist because I thought everyone would recognize it instantly. K.C. and the Sunshine Band recorded it in the 70s. I have distinct memories of hearing it during the "couples only" skates at the skating rink, growing up. Lol.
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    charsuzy wrote: »
    Faetta wrote: »
    Oh, how lovely! I get a disagree right away! What do you disagree with? Do you disagree with my personal experiences and knowledge? I would like to know from anyone hiding behind that disagree button. Maybe you disagree with medical science. Speak up and tell us why. SuzieQ asked what would I do and I answered.

How sad that political preferences can be posted here by some and not violate the rules, but I give my experiences and understanding of medical science and how it applies to me and I get a disagree.

Any wonder why so many have left this thread? This thread is under MOTIVATION and SUPPORT. Disagreeing with such a personal post as I made is neither supportive nor movtivational.

I agree with what Fae wrote - why disagree with her post? It seems rather odd, ... not very supportive.
    Let's be supportive. A person answers with her own opinion, medical understanding and experience - I don't understand how that is disagreed with ??

charsuzy <3
    WA state

Tell me what you guys were talking about, I’m curious

pipcd34

Here is my general attempt to tell you what I think is going on.

My understanding is that on more than one occasion, a member expresses their opinion and gets a "disagree" response - more than once. It IS strange. It's never happened to me and I don't see this response for other people. It's not common. That's what I know. I hope what I write below helps explain what I am feeling and thinking about the commenting by another person and is just a bit of what I think and feel in the situation.

My feeling is this: to support a person's feelings, that they feel unsupported in some way, is what should be recognized, not the sharing of other's opinions about that topic.

It's hard to explain but people sometimes gloss over a person's feelings, they dismiss them. Not outright, but they don't recognize how hitting the "disagree" button (on more than one occasion), does seem like bad vibes, because it's not happened to me for example, so it seems strange that ONE person gets these "disagree" responses.

That is what I'm talking about. From my viewpoint only - I want to convey to a person my support of how they are feeling and not argue how I disagree with their OPINION. It's the feelings that make us feel (hurt, unsupported, alienated, etc.) In brief that is what I WAS ADDRESSING.

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rita, for your kind words. I have one pen pal that I can not read very well and we have corresponded for a year now! I actually finally went thru all the old letters from all my pals. I cut out all the stickers, and things that catch my eye. I keep the record page of all the dates of receiving and sending of letters though. I pretty much pay attention to any sentence my cursive messy pen pal friend writes, and concentrate on those in her letter. I feel that because she has sat down, taken the time, to write to me, counts for a lot<3. If it were me, I would hope they would overlook the messiness, and so that is how I approach her letters I get.

Today I watched my 600+ weight loss show, and sipped my Pellegrino mineral water. I am thankful I am not that heavy, and my weight doesn't physically hurt me. I don't think I could handle all the pain involved with skin removal surgery. It's a show I watch to remind myself of the realities of my weight journey, if I didn't pay attention. So today is "Thankful" Thursday on my Intermittent Fasting Facebook group, and I am participating. So I ended my eating window at 4pm yesterday and will fast until tomorrow at 8am. 40 hrs of fasting is a good reset button for me. Being hungry won't kill me, but it will put my body into autophagy, which is a self cleaning mode. So out goes some of the sugars I have been consuming. My body will get rid itself of any dead cells, and clean house. It's something that works for me. I know that fasting isn't quite a mainstream concept in MFP, fasting has been around for years. I am thankful that I can get the support I need as a faster from my Intermittent Fasting group on FB, and the support of being all of your friends, here. You take me as I am, flaws up the yin-yang!

I do not know how to post that video on here, from husbands' computer. But she has strong gripper hannies, and though my son and daughter inlaw need to give her a haircut already, hair is always in her eyes, she is still my sweet pea Athena. <3

Hugs
    Rebecca
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

What excites you right now? (can't be the vaccine. :))
    Seeing meteors these last early mornings when I walk my dog, Ella.
    What are you looking forward to? (this can be the vaccine, but doesn't have to be. :))
    I'm anxious for the days to get longer... I love watching the days lengthen.
    What’s the best thing that happened to you this year?
    The legal battle reaching conclusion after almost 9 years and being declared the prevailing party.
    Where did you grow up?
    In a small village on the coast in Northern Alaska.
    What do you do for fun?
    Hike, fish and swim.
    Is there a charitable cause you support?
    Salvation Army and crisis intervention
    What is the one thing you like best about yourself?
    I'm independent and capable.
    What’s the most important thing I should know about you? [/quote]
    I enjoy life... I am married to my second husband for 27 years and together for lots more years. Between us we have five children. Four are very functional and one is bipolar. Life is good but difficult.

Betsy in NW WA
  • Katla49
    Options
    Betsy: I also love it when days are lengthening. I’ve been told that people born in the long days of summer are more likely to feel depressed when days are short in winter. I am someone who fits this situation. DH & I have purchased lightbulbs for all of our fixtures that are daylight temperature, above 4,000 degrees kelvin. They are bright & lift my spirits. ☀️
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Options
    Lanette: Thank you for the link to research on virus info and supplements! I have been watching and listening, but brain-drain has arrived and I need a rest from it to recharge myself. I intend to resume listening in a bit. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,104 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Barbie, Received your Christmas card today and loved it. Loved the stickers too! Your card is #21, as I have been punching holes in the top and stringing with twine, and making two swags each entry, from the front door to living room, and from the living room to dining/library. Each seem to handle 5 cards nicely, plus its nice to look at them when I am on the couch.

I have been on a classic movie kick for awhile now. Husband and I watched "A Touch Of Mink", with Doris Day, Cary Grant, Audrey Meadows, and lots of baseball players of that era. My husband got a kick out of it! "Oh that's Mickey Mantle and that's Yogi Berra! Cary Grant is so suave, and classy, love his movies! I spend as much time looking at all the beautiful clothes as I do following the movie. <3

Tomorrow I want to look for the Debbie Reynolds movie, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown". Plus watch a sappy Christmas movie.

I wanted to look for a Lauren Bacall movie, but most you have to buy or rent. It's interesting to see each actors movies all listed out. I can say into my Xfinity remote, "show me Cary Grant" and there are a lot of movies free to me, yet Lauren's forget about it. Maybe in their contracts, or wills, it says that movies can't be out there for the general public, who knows.

I watched "Hans Christian Anderson" with Danny Kaye yesterday. And yes I sang along. "Inch Worm, Inch Worm....." He's always been one of my favorites. I looked up Bing Crosby and BOY there are a lot of movies that start out with "The Road To......" I like the one to Morocco, but I haven't seen a lot of the others. :-)

Enjoy the evening all!
    Rebecca

I love the classics. I used to spend New Year's Eve at home watching them with my cats. It was very nice. Danny Kaye is one of my favorites too, as are Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

Tina