Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Illinois has been doing pretty well with the vaccine based on the numbers I've seen, but I haven't even tried to figure out when I will get it and assume not for ages, since I am in no special category. My sister's SO got it before Christmas, since he is working in a hospital and with some covid patients. (I don't know when he is getting the second shot, should ask.)

Also in IL. Friend that is a pharmacist for Walgreens still hasn't gotten his (supposed to be next week). He's going to be going out to nursing homes (which are in the first wave along with 1st line healthcare workers) so not sure if IL is really up to plan yet.

Our health dept in central VA posted that they just got their first shipment and will start vaccinating 1A people on Monday. I don't know if pharmacists have already gotten some and been going out to those people and now the health dept is joining them, or if this is the first batch in our area.

I'm just keeping my ear to the ground for how and when my parents can go. They are late 70s so hopefully soon.

I'm afraid many local authorities assumed a national plan would happen, and it didn't, so they are flying by the seat of their pants now trying to get organized.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The state of TN completely changed their vaccine rollout plan. Among other things, they eliminated a category for multiple comorbidities and now I am in ohase 1c instead of phase 2. Also, there is a new phase 1c and phase 2 has been split into phases 2a and 2b. So I'm still in the 4th group.

They have added age-based rollout simultaneously with the rest of the vaccination categories and added estimates for dates.

My estimated date is March/Q2. This most likely means I will not get the vaccine until Q3/Q4 because I don't think I will be living in TN in March. If I move to the state I think I will, T1D is not considered to be a comorbidity at all despite everything we know about how this virus enters cells being a bigger concern for diabetics (all types because it is increased BG that is the issue). So I basically get stuck with everyone else. I just hope I don't get infected before then.

I will add that the Q3/Q4 2021 dates as the end of vaccinating everyone are extremely optimistic. This is partly because we have heard this may become an annual vaccine, so we start over again at that point. Also, current rate of vaccine distribution will take 7 years. So they need to start giving a lot more shots if they are going to finish in 1 year.

I agree. I don't think I'll even get vaccinated in 2021. Hate to sound like a pessimist but the initial roll out has been terrible. Initially, I was looking at Summer. No way. Fall is optimistic and more likely in 2022.

Hmmm...things seem to be going pretty well in NM. Most healthcare workers have received it and I was talking to a fire fighter friend of mine yesterday and he said he got his first shot last week as did most of the department.

My wife and I registered for ours earlier this week...it looks like I'll probably be sometime in March or April...my wife probably won't be until summer. The state is shooting for the end of August to have a good portion of the population vaccinated...basically anyone who wants one by the end of August.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I read that 80% of Covid infections are spread by 20% of the population.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, in WI 🤦‍♂😡

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/30/951736164/some-500-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-intentionally-destroyed-hospital-says

I am way in the back of the vaccination line since I am in a low risk group at my age, being healthy and fit, and am able to work remotely. On the NYT estimator, I think I was behind 280M people. I hope I can be vaccinated by summer. I renewed my passport in 2020 for when I and the world are ready to travel internationally again. But given how fortunate I've been in 2020, that's a first world problem. I am happy to stand by while those at higher risk such as the older population and those in essential jobs that have to be done with exposure to the public can get immunized. Some of my nursing friends have already received their first doses.

I was also behind like 280M people but if I use my age in a few months it jumped to behind 110M. Interesting estimator but have a feeling it's not Gospel.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    The state of TN completely changed their vaccine rollout plan. Among other things, they eliminated a category for multiple comorbidities and now I am in ohase 1c instead of phase 2. Also, there is a new phase 1c and phase 2 has been split into phases 2a and 2b. So I'm still in the 4th group.

They have added age-based rollout simultaneously with the rest of the vaccination categories and added estimates for dates.

My estimated date is March/Q2. This most likely means I will not get the vaccine until Q3/Q4 because I don't think I will be living in TN in March. If I move to the state I think I will, T1D is not considered to be a comorbidity at all despite everything we know about how this virus enters cells being a bigger concern for diabetics (all types because it is increased BG that is the issue). So I basically get stuck with everyone else. I just hope I don't get infected before then.

I will add that the Q3/Q4 2021 dates as the end of vaccinating everyone are extremely optimistic. This is partly because we have heard this may become an annual vaccine, so we start over again at that point. Also, current rate of vaccine distribution will take 7 years. So they need to start giving a lot more shots if they are going to finish in 1 year.

Our region just got a notice via the local media that 75+ folks can start registering for their vaccine starting Jan 2. No indication on how long it will be until they actually receive it though. This matters to me of course since we've been in perpetual quarantine to protect my Dad to whom this applies.

The chart they just released with the new plan has 75+ simultaneous with group 1a2 between Jan-Feb.

I dunno. They've already screwed stuff up here and vaccinations are lagging quite a bit for phase 1a1 so we aren't holding our breath.

Agreed! I'm not betting on their timeline at all. It seems like most all states have really struggled. They have vaccines, they have planned for who will get them... I'm frustrated to see that vaccines exist and not given out yet. Give them all out!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I agree. I don't think I'll even get vaccinated in 2021. Hate to sound like a pessimist but the initial roll out has been terrible. Initially, I was looking at Summer. No way. Fall is optimistic and more likely in 2022.

By 2022 we should see some longer term peer reviews on all the brands of Covid-19 vaccines unlike today.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Our region just got a notice via the local media that 75+ folks can start registering for their vaccine starting Jan 2. No indication on how long it will be until they actually receive it though. This matters to me of course since we've been in perpetual quarantine to protect my Dad to whom this applies.

I wonder if they may see better participation rates among 75+ vs. younger, not simply based on current risk, but also life experience.

Specifically, in my circle of acquaintences, it's less common to see general vaccine hesitancy amongst those old enough to remember what things were like before vaccines brought us herd immunity for common but dangerous diseases like polio and measles. Most of the people I know who are anti-vax are younger (not necessarily objectively young: At 65, I'm just old enough to have seen the tail end of measles and such being a big deal.).

I don't think older people make up most of pro-vax crowd. The 40% not interested in the the vaccine today seem to be waiting for all options in the pipeline today to receive full FDA approval and peer reviewed long term studies.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    I wonder how much leeway there is to get the 2nd shot? If someone is supposed to get it at 3 weeks but it isn't available until 5 weeks, will the efficacy be reduced?

Very unlikely given the general thing with vaccines - there is a minimum gap between doses but not a maximum gap - ie can't be to soon but does not matter if it is longer

Given this is the case with all other vaccines, seems most unlikely it would not be so with Covid vaccine

This fits what I have read, where the FAQ had an answer about scheduling... was basically saying "no sooner than" and to wait until later than the 2nd dose date and not to get it early.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »

I had heard the original version of the story when it was believed to be accidental. Now, admittedly intentional. I cannot fathom the reasoning of this individual.

Last night, I read another article about this story. If correct, the occasion that the vaccine was seen as having been left out, was actually the second night the "pharmacist" left it out. He/she was just not caught the first time. Between the first night and the second, when he was caught, some number of people were vaccinated using these vials of vaccine. Speculation about the "why" is that this individual wanted to prove that vaccines are ineffective, by intentionally damaging them and making them ineffective.

One of the things I’ve been concerned with from the start of using the vaccine, was how we can be assured that it’s being handled correctly. Having to be stored at extremely cold temperatures and effectiveness duration when removed from extreme cold. How are they ensuring that standards are being met in every situation, or is it even possible to do so?

I believe the carton package for the vaccine vials includes an indicator tag like the in the link below. The tag has a chemical layer that shows gives a visual indication that was exposed to a warmer environment for a set amount of time. The end destination can see the state of the tag and determine if the cold chain was broken.

https://www.labelmaster.com/shop/shipping/damage-indicators/warmmark-time-temperature/

Good to know, but I read that the pharmacist knowingly administered some of the spoiled vaccine, knowing that, at best, it would be less effective. Also that the action of leaving it out resulted in many doses having to be destroyed. My concern is that as consumers, are there safe guards in place for preparing the syringes where more than one person is involved in the process, checking to make sure the cold chain is not broken. Noting time of prep of the dose and actual time of injection for the recipient. Initialed by both involved in administering the vaccine. Maybe it should be part of a permanent recipient record. SOP for better control of records.