• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »

I had heard the original version of the story when it was believed to be accidental. Now, admittedly intentional. I cannot fathom the reasoning of this individual.

Last night, I read another article about this story. If correct, the occasion that the vaccine was seen as having been left out, was actually the second night the "pharmacist" left it out. He/she was just not caught the first time. Between the first night and the second, when he was caught, some number of people were vaccinated using these vials of vaccine. Speculation about the "why" is that this individual wanted to prove that vaccines are ineffective, by intentionally damaging them and making them ineffective.

One of the things I’ve been concerned with from the start of using the vaccine, was how we can be assured that it’s being handled correctly. Having to be stored at extremely cold temperatures and effectiveness duration when removed from extreme cold. How are they ensuring that standards are being met in every situation, or is it even possible to do so?

I believe the carton package for the vaccine vials includes an indicator tag like the in the link below. The tag has a chemical layer that shows gives a visual indication that was exposed to a warmer environment for a set amount of time. The end destination can see the state of the tag and determine if the cold chain was broken.

https://www.labelmaster.com/shop/shipping/damage-indicators/warmmark-time-temperature/

Good to know, but I read that the pharmacist knowingly administered some of the spoiled vaccine, knowing that, at best, it would be less effective. Also that the action of leaving it out resulted in many doses having to be destroyed. My concern is that as consumers, are there safe guards in place for preparing the syringes where more than one person is involved in the process, checking to make sure the cold chain is not broken. Noting time of prep of the dose and actual time of injection for the recipient. Initialed by both involved in administering the vaccine. Maybe it should be part of a permanent recipient record. SOP for better control of records.

Yes, the tags are a preventative measure against accidental spoilage due to mishandling or equipment failure. Deliberate sabotage at the point of delivery is a different issue, which the FDA and FBI are investigating and may lead to criminal charges.

Agree deliberate sabotage in most situations is very hard to control.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    He is in jail and I hope that he gets what ever license he has revoked for life, and stays in jail for a long time. His actions in my book, were criminal. I am glad that the FBI is also involved.

Wisconsin police arrest former hospital worker whose alleged actions led hospital to throw out more than 500 vaccine doses

Police in Grafton, Wisconsin, have arrested a recently fired pharmacist they say removed 57 vials of the Moderna vaccine from a local hospital's refrigerator and left them to sit out.

Investigators believe the man removed the vaccine "knowing they would not be usable," a police news release from Thursday says. According to police, the hospital pharmacist allegedly provided public safety officials at Aurora Medical Center in Grafton with a written statement saying he intentionally removed the vials, knowing that if they were not properly stored, the doses would be ineffective.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/31/us/wisconsin-coronavirus-vaccine-vials/index.html
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options

I had heard the original version of the story when it was believed to be accidental. Now, admittedly intentional. I cannot fathom the reasoning of this individual.

Last night, I read another article about this story. If correct, the occasion that the vaccine was seen as having been left out, was actually the second night the "pharmacist" left it out. He/she was just not caught the first time. Between the first night and the second, when he was caught, some number of people were vaccinated using these vials of vaccine. Speculation about the "why" is that this individual wanted to prove that vaccines are ineffective, by intentionally damaging them and making them ineffective.

One of the things I’ve been concerned with from the start of using the vaccine, was how we can be assured that it’s being handled correctly. Having to be stored at extremely cold temperatures and effectiveness duration when removed from extreme cold. How are they ensuring that standards are being met in every situation, or is it even possible to do so?

I thought the vaccine brand which had to be stored at extreme cold -minus 70 or something - had been abandoned in favour of other versions which are stored at standard vaccine storage of between 2- 8 deg C ??

If so, then it would just be standard cold chain precautions - like the in transit monitor linked upthread and data loggers on fridges and twice daily recording of temps and staff trained in cold chain procedures - all the stuff that is already the case with all vaccines.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options

I thought the vaccine brand which had to be stored at extreme cold -minus 70 or something - had been abandoned in favour of other versions which are stored at standard vaccine storage of between 2- 8 deg C ??

If so, then it would just be standard cold chain precautions - like the in transit monitor linked upthread and data loggers on fridges and twice daily recording of temps and staff trained in cold chain procedures - all the stuff that is already the case with all vaccines.

No, the Pfizer (extreme cold) is one of the vaccines being distributed in the U.S.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    Apparently, Europe is considering only giving the first dose of the vaccine on the premise that some protection for many is better than full protection for a few.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the frontline healthcare workers and elderly get full protection.

Where did you read that? I'm in Europe, and I've heard nothing about this.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Ok, that does have logistical issues then - of special storage facilities and separate locations to access it

I wonder why they dont all use the Moderna vaccine if that can be kept at regular vaccine temps.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    lokihen wrote: »
    Apparently, Europe is considering only giving the first dose of the vaccine on the premise that some protection for many is better than full protection for a few.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the frontline healthcare workers and elderly get full protection.

Where did you read that? I'm in Europe, and I've heard nothing about this.

It was in a DW News report.