• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Bananas - in the morning I am in there with my DH. We are listening to BBC Radio 4 between 8.30 and 10.30 or so by the time I've finished. He finishes before me. That covers the end of the Today programme (news) and a different programme every day of the week between 9.00 and 9.45. Sometimes it's the only way I know what day of the week it is! On the whole they are very informative and fun. Some quite intellectual, but I love that. From 9.45 - 10.00 is a book reading for the week. From 10.00 it is Woman's Hour, which I am annoyed about because the excellent old presenters have retired and the new one is far too serious and boring. The one on Friday is much better and I have emailed the producers saying what I think. :D:o
    I did email the Saturday Live programme when they were trying out new female presenters and they picked the one I recommended!!!! I am turning over to the BBC World Service at the moment.
    We Radio 4 listeners are very protective of our programmes. We are a special breed.
    In the afternoon I use my tablet propped up beside me and I either catch up on favourite TV programmes I have missed, usually because DH doesn't like it, or I go on to YouTube and play the Easy German, French and Spanish videos. Or Hugo Décrypte. Or a funny Spanish woman talking about home decoration. Or Français avec Pierre. :p
    Time flies when you're having fun! :D

I think the secret is to find something you really enjoy. Sometimes I'm rowing and the programme isn't finished, so I get on the bike for the last half hour. I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet which I could not live without. It will fall from my dead hands.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Exercise

If I won the lottery (!!!!) a luxurious private pool would be a priority. One I could use all year with some kind of sliding roof/door arrangement. :D I have looked at villas to hire abroad for a week or so with very big pools and may do that in the future for a special treat. Unfortunately, the big pools usually come with enormous houses, and enormous prices, but there are exceptions. Plus, I'm going off flying and all the hassle of airports. We can cruise from local ports and have chauffeur driven transport there with pick up from the front door. I'm all for the easy option these days. :)
    The exercise I actually do is on my three machines in our tiny spare room. Rowing, elliptical and recumbent bike. I can say they have literally saved my life. Every day I am on them for an hour and a half in the morning....

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

NICE POOLS
    It's not a private pool, but if you go to trouville or deauville, just across the channel some day, (trouville I find much more down home with more cozy reasonable places to eat, buy food, have coffee than the upscale deauville a few hundred meters away) deauville has the best public pool! olympic size, fed with (heated) ocean water, (ocean just meters away), glass ceiling. I went 2 or 3 times last summer when in trouville and it was 5 star for me. such a nice moment, for laps...they had much reduced numbers and strict circulation rules during the summer. it is said that cover doesn't spread in water but could spread on surfaces.

We went to the Fairmount princess in scottsdale AZ one time and they have nice pool too, and option for SMALL private pool. We went in off-off-off season in August (no-one goes visiting Phoenix in august since you can barely walk outside) cause that's when we were free and we needed to see family, so it was very very cut rate...and they upgraded us. no need to take the sauna though, just walk out the door for 30 seconds or more between 7 am and 6pm...

@HEATHER @cityjaneLondon You have surely said it before, but what do you do while on the machines? is that when you do your language stuff, or other stuff. I like exercise, and machines is ok, but quite boring if not doing something else for me. For walking or swimming I can just get into the movement and sensations and feelings and that is really enough. but on machines, not so much. And do you do 30 per machine most days? I would go for a rower if I got a second machine I think. elliptical is what I used most at gym but I think a good one would take up so much space.

I'm not Heather, but I also exercise with three machines in our "basement" -- a bicycle on a trainer, a treadmill, and a rowing machine.

I have the bicycle on trainer and treadmill hooked up to Zwift, and I do one of the routes there. So ... I can watch "myself" cycle or walk/run around a well-designed digital route. Opportunities for sprints and so on. Great graphics!

Also, with all three, I watch TV.

Before Zwift, and even now occasionally, I would do "commercial intervals". I select a show with commercials. When the show is on, I ride casually or walk. When the commercial is one, I ride as hard as I can or run. Like intervals! It ensures I get my heart rate up above 150 several times during a workout.

I can't read or do stuff that requires concentration because that slows me down.

With the rowing machine, I have the TV on but I'm focusing on rowing.

If you go with a rowing machine, the Concept2s are the best choice. :)

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,605 Member
    Options
    Good Monday! Woke up to a blanket of snow. Pretty to look at. Not so much for driving. I will have to figure out how to turn on the 4x4 on the Bronco since that is what I drove home this weekend.

I need to exercise.....favorites
    Walking
    Dancing

I did a yoga class with my sister years ago and enjoyed it.

I think it is a mind thing for me. I feel I should be getting something done instead of "exercising". Pulling weeds, mowing grass, picking up sticks, etc.. I need to re-frame exercising in my mind as getting something accomplished for me.

Work today. Husband massage tonight.

Sugar- someone asked about wine. (Sorry, on phone and will lose post if i go back) the book said one small glass a week. It was a good day for me yesterday until i grabbed two pieces of peppermint bark bt ghirardelli before bed. Calories i had to spare, sugar nit so much. Not too concerned though as day looked great.

Better get ready for work. Enjoy your day!

Kylia in Ohio where it looks pretty this morning from my window.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all.

Lunch was nice although a little late for me. I was able to explain, once again, it is my preference to have a time to meet. I explained my many reasons, the first being we are both still working and there are many things we both need to get done over the weekend, I am an early riser (4-5am) and need to determine if I should eat before we meet or not, etc. She seemed receptive. Let’s see how the next meet up goes. 😊 I mentioned an early HH on the 29th, she needs to check her calendar (lol)…..

Lisa – I so agree with your assessment on the mental atmosphere. The quiet is deepest in the earliest of hours.

Kylia – Great negotiation on the possibility of a new vehicle. Betsy was retired at 19 years. She lasted a very long time with little to no investment.

Pip – Great idea with subletting your current digs. $3k is a lot of money regardless if you have it or not.

Heather – Bea looks gloriously happy with Nelly. I think Nelly will find a way to melt your heart. 😊

CJ – Welcome. You have a beautiful family. Congratulations on finding a plan that works for you.

Bananas – I agree with the cellphone mentality yet also think it’s self-centered. It is almost as if the person(s) say, oh, I will meet up with you tomorrow, but if I am doing something better I will put you on hold until I am done doing what I am enjoying. In France it’s culture; here is the US it is not. You would not want to trade me for my brother – he is a conman. I keep in touch, but at arm’s length.

Luci – So glad to see your post. Luci is walking! She is a beauty and looks like a happy baby. Sorry to hear about your losses and family’s challenges. It’s a terrible virus.

DrKatie – Yes, the plan works if we stick with it. I am currently convincing myself to get back on track. You’re almost there! Good job – keep it going.

Beth – Glad to hear your son received his first dose. Congratulations to DH – he is almost there!!

Betsy – Happy Anniversary. Sorry to hear it did not turn out as planned. Glad you had a good day and got in 30k steps! Wow!!

Cheri – I sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. Happy for you!!

Allie – Hugs!

Flea – So happy to hear mom is back on track. What a great idea with Schwan’s. I had forgotten all about them.

Rebecca – Athena is a cutie!

US Gals – Reality check. Do not read if you are depressed, frustrated, etc. over the lack of coordination of receiving a shot.
    We absolutely must be patient. In 2019 there were 328.4m in the US. And we must receive 2 doses…..656.8m. We ordered 400m…..

60ri5dn5qlhq.png

Right now there are projections there will be enough to vaccinate the world by the end of 2021. There will be great challenges getting to the remote and underdeveloped places in the world.

If we go one step further the vaccine has an approximate effective period of one year (latest article I read). Within a year this cycle will start again. It will probably be incorporated in to or part of the annual flu shot.

Since I am not in any age group, am healthy, am able to work remotely, etc. I will probably not get the shot and depend upon herd immunity. Honestly, I wish serum testing was more readily available. Living in a hot spot I am sure my body, regardless of the precautions I have taken, has received its fair share of this pesky little virus. Even if I decide to get it I will not be able to do so until the end of next summer given my personal statistics. By then…….

Karen – I am sure you have much more to add here. I always value your feedback and knowledge in all medical areas.

This is just my opinion. I am a numbers person and am quite aware of logistics, numbers, human nature, trends, etc. I have had lengthy discussions with my medical care providers, read as much as I can stand, continue to keep up-to-date, and pray the current thoughts on taming this virus work.

I pray, pray, pray for all that who really should/need to get the vaccine in a timely fashion. It breaks my heart the states have had almost 6-9 months to plan distribution yet very few seem to be highly organized.

Viv – Happy you were able to schedule your mom in for her shot. Sounds like there is great organization in your area. Wish more would adapt something similar.

Exercise – Walking, yoga, swimming. All of which are very easily done by myself and options are readily available in my area and climate.

Bananas – Praying they do not lose the second test!!

I just looked at the clock and I must really run and get ready for work. Thank goodness I am remote and my commute is just a few steps away! 😊

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • Machka9
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I mentioned my favourite meal the other day ... Mexican food with chocolate lava cake for dessert.

My second favourite meal is either saag paneer or palak paneer with a large Cold Rock specialty!

I like several different Indian meals but those are probably my favourites.

As for Cold Rock ...

Even though I don't eat peanuts, Peanut Butter Time is my favourite - it hardly has any peanut stuff in it. Next up would be For-A-Rare-Share and then After Dinner Mint. These things are the size of a really large grapefruit and are packed solid.

Hoping to get some this coming weekend!! :)
    lmf7cw3zs6m2.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Today, I bought a Rubik's Cube.
    I haven't had one since the 1980s but they're back!
    I can get one side so far ...
    It amuses me. :smiley:

Today I bought a 3rd 1000-piece puzzle.
    On the weekend we got something we could do puzzles on.
    So we're all set for winter!

Last night, I sat and watched ... without doing anything else ... most of Fantasia. I think there is a bit more to go, but my husband wanted to go to bed so we turned it off. Nevertheless, I just sat and watched it without doing anything else.

I can't remember the last time I did that. Usually when the TV comes on (for TV shows, movies or whatever) I get busy with all kinds of other things. Like today, when the TV came on, I did laundry, ordered groceries and did some organising of a cycling event we've got coming up.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Didnt sleep well ,but 2 weeks in the hospital will do that to you...still feeling a bit nauseous so ordered toast and applesauce for breakfast...still getting up to walk..
    I now have a korean lady in with me,she is yapping away on her cell phone..oh well
    Will get washed up in a bit.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) My favorite exercise is all stuff that I can do by myself. I walk with the dogs every day before breakfast, after breakfast, and mid afternoon. I walk by myself around 5 PM. I dance my favorite line dances several days a week for 20 minutes or more. I ride my recumbent exercise bike while watching TV either alone or with my husband. I ride for several hours every day. When we traveled, I found opportunities to walk wherever we went.

:)Betsy, Our anniversary was January 14, the first day of the vaccination event and we thought it would be a great way to celebrate.

:) This morning we decided that trying to get up early enough to get in line for the vaccine tomorrow was crazy and we'll wait til we can get it from our doctor or a local pharmacy. My husband's health is seriously impacted by odd sleeping patterns and stress and both will be in the mix if we try to get in line for the vaccine before 4 AM.

:) The vaccine is not all about me. People everywhere are frustrated. I need to show up and live my life and wait my turn.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the anniversary wishes and for the thoughts on getting my vaccination even when my DH decided not to come along and get his. I am so happy to have my first dose...actually beyond happy. Have walked around smiling ever since. Hope everyone who wants a vaccine gets one soon.

Favorite exercise
    Walking, Yoga and Hiking

I love mornings and feel the quiet and the peace. I am early to bed and early up... habits of a lifetime. As a single parent for 15 years, I carved out "my time" in the early hours and then I'd wake up the kids and start our day.

Today our new range should be delivered. Have been cooking on a camp stove, microwave, Instant pot and toaster oven since Thanksgiving when the stove gave up the ghost. DH is very excited about it...me not as much because I don't cook many big meals. I haven't felt deprived.... Life is Good.

Betsy in NW WA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    When I was young I did:
    Richard Simmons (this shows my age LOL)
    Jazzersize
    Australian Body Works for Women
    Two other exercise clubs that did guided floor exercises
    Walking up to 3 miles a day
    After my knee replacement in 2019 I walked on the treadmill at the local gym.

Must say that the last few years have mostly just been walking in the large box stores and walking my POM each morning before he passed. During Covid just walking in circles around the house
    Carol in GA
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Bananas – I agree with the cellphone mentality yet also think it’s self-centered. It is almost as if the person(s) say, oh, I will meet up with you tomorrow, but if I am doing something better I will put you on hold until I am done doing what I am enjoying. In France it’s culture; here is the US it is not. You would not want to trade me for my brother – he is a conman. I keep in touch, but at arm’s lengt

@suziq113 Yes it's not respectful, not here either! Even if it's part of the culture, I'm not really sure it was so much prior to the cellphone culture. I mean pre-cellphone I used to meet people here and it worked fine, so that means we respected it. But I think it is more city culture too. I think I've seen sketches about that happening commonly in the usa, which is why there is a sketch or two on that, at least. Even if we are more or less sure to meet I find It really annoying to have to send 10 sms back and forth and one proposal, one counter proposal and a short quick call should do fine most of the time. I'm sorry about your brother, yeah he doesn't sound better, from the little you say. ---on the bone marrow test--I was not angry but when I arrive this morning the welcome was confused and agressive (different people) and by the Tim I arrived, with the same intern, I was angry. I was muttering something about hoping they don't lose it again. And I mailed the main doctor to say it was done and perhaps it's not unreasonable that it's follow up be particularly carefully done.

@grandmallie so sorry about all you are going through. a yapping roommate is not ideal.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @peach1948 I got roped into doing Jane fonda work out by 2 different people in the mid-80s!
    it just makes me laugh. One place was in early 20s with housemate my age. She was very sporty and we would I guess run together a bit and to the audio cassette version of Jane fonda work out sometimes. I know she was the instigator and I would follow along sometimes! (though I found it boring)...and then when I got my 1st real adult job, at age 21, just barely, in a very remote slightly lonely place, one of the head teachers invited me and the tiny elementary school director over weekly, for Jane Fonda workout after work on Mondays and then to her home sauna. And invited me to stay for dinner often of a big fruit salad with her DH and kids. I'm sure I went for the sauna and the comfort of being invited over to a comfy place in a remote remote where I was just arriving far from all, and spending an hour doing the video version of Jane fonda work out was part of the deal.... It seemed really weird and not to my taste in both occasions but I did it many times..."Are you ready to do the workout?..." big hair, leggings, striped long sleeve leotard, tights, :D I'm sure I just had t shirt and sweats and never had big hair.... :D Also putting in spoiler in case Jane Fonda workout is upsetting :D
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Oh, I love YouTube!
    Just watched an explanation of the German states and federal system. A tour of Dresden. A visit to a Berlin flea market. A farm visit in Namibia, a visit to Windhoek in Namibia, all in German with subtitles, while I was rowing and cycling. :D
    Top of my bucket list to visit is Dresden.
    Namibia would be interesting as it has German empire links and many Germans are tourists there, so I could practise my German. The wild life and scenery are amazing.
    In Sub Saharan Africa I have only been to Kenya, where I was running creative writing courses for the British Council. I loved the students. I slotted in a quick visit to the Masai Mara. Highly recommended. We were trying a few years ago to book a trip to Botswana, the Okavango Delta, but it was the wrong season. Too wet.
    I'm getting very excited about the possibility of travelling again, even if it's just a cruise. Saga are deluging us with brochures about river cruises, ocean cruises, UK tours etc etc. :D I quite fancied the Channel Islands one. Most dates are already booked up!!! People must be very optimistic about the vaccine! We are waiting to see what the government says about travel.

Our part of the country, the South East, is a bit behind in the vaccine race. :# I hope they will catch up soon. Our nearest big centre is 25 minutes walk away, which is fine by us. Of course, I prefer to just wander to the end of the road where our doctor is.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    We absolutely must be patient. In 2019 there were 328.4m in the US. And we must receive 2 doses…..656.8m. We ordered 400m…..

60ri5dn5qlhq.png

Right now there are projections there will be enough to vaccinate the world by the end of 2021. There will be great challenges getting to the remote and underdeveloped places in the world.

If we go one step further the vaccine has an approximate effective period of one year (latest article I read). Within a year this cycle will start again. It will probably be incorporated in to or part of the annual flu shot.

Since I am not in any age group, am healthy, am able to work remotely, etc. I will probably not get the shot and depend upon herd immunity. Honestly, I wish serum testing was more readily available. Living in a hot spot I am sure my body, regardless of the precautions I have taken, has received its fair share of this pesky little virus. Even if I decide to get it I will not be able to do so until the end of next summer given my personal statistics. By then…….

Karen – I am sure you have much more to add here. I always value your feedback and knowledge in all medical areas.

This is just my opinion. I am a numbers person and am quite aware of logistics, numbers, human nature, trends, etc. I have had lengthy discussions with my medical care providers, read as much as I can stand, continue to keep up-to-date, and pray the current thoughts on taming this virus work.

I pray, pray, pray for all that who really should/need to get the vaccine in a timely fashion. It breaks my heart the states have had almost 6-9 months to plan distribution yet very few seem to be highly organized.

SuziQ – SFL

My response:
    Agreed. I do not feel that I should be in a group who should get the vaccine. That frustrates my husband, that I have that attitude, but like you, I am fairly low risk and can easily work from home. Even when I do go into the office, I have a large office to myself and can control who comes in. It doesn't make sense for me to get the vaccine when there are people at high risk or who cannot work from home or who encounter multiple people a day in the course of doing their job. It's okay. I'm not even upset about that. I feel thankful that my husband, who does have high-risk factors and my EMT son have their first shots. We will see if there is a supply for them to get their second, but for now, I feel that they do have some protection.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Favourite Exercise - Walking, Swimming and probably Pilates I enjoyed Zumba the one time I took it, but it's a group activity and not allowed right now. I tried it alone and didn't care for it.

Suzi -
    I am not part of the States and have been very fortunate that I have had my 1st shot and go for my second on Wednesday. One thing I've found here is the Phizer one is just not as easily administered because it needs the -75 Celsius refrigeration. Our residents received the Moderna because of that requirement with Phizer.
    I don't necessarily agree with the way they handled it here in Alberta but I think they are doing the best they can under the circumstances and the availability.

Machka - I received 3 1000 piece puzzles for Christmas with a puzzle mat. My back has been hurting too bad to sit at the table to do it just now though. I also have a Diamond Dots painting to do, it came on Friday. I don't know if my eyes will allow it or if I will end up giving it to my daughter to do for me.

Allie - I hope you get a roommate that is quiet and that you can talk to soon. It's frustrating being in a hospital.

Carol - I remember doing some Richard Simmons. I was a teenager, but joined some of the "Mom's" who had a VCR tape of him.

Katla - My husband has become a news junkie of American news. Thankfully, he changes the station a lot when I'm home. I find it all too repetitive, loud and puts me in a foul mood. It puts him in a foul mood too, so I'm glad he changes it when I'm home.

I am at work so should get at it.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Happy bday or late happy bday to anyone I missed.

Welcome new peeps

Congrats to all who achieved something or some goal

Strapping on my boot for all who are dragging