WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    TV shows --

Sitcoms - we watch old episodes of M*A*S*H, Big Bang Theory, and Friends. That's the extent of our TV sitcom options. Later in the evening, we might get a few others from way back when, but I've usually turned the TV off by then.
    Oh, I just thought of one other sitcom we watch: As Time Goes By!

Reality Shows - we don't get any singing and dancing ones anymore. There seems to be a lot of cooking ones, and survivor type but I'm not interested in those. When Lego Masters comes back on (soon, I hope!) we'll watch that.

Documentaries - we'll watch the science/engineering types about trains, ships, cars and buildings occasionally. They're usually fillers if there's a gap between other shows we might want to watch.

Other Filler Shows - QI, Antique Roadshow, Bargain Hunt ... maybe a Border Control show or an RBT/Highway Patrol

Home Shows - Better Homes and Gardens, Escape to the Country, Selling Houses Australia. These are usually on Fridays and Sundays.

Dramas - these are what we usually watch:
    Doc Martin on Mondays,
    Pie in the Sky on Tuesdays & Poirot after sometimes,
    As Time Goes By and Midsommer Murders on Wednesdays,
    Father Brown and Murdoch Mysteries on Thursdays,
    Columbo and Kojak on Saturdays ... sometimes Midsommer Murders if they happen to put it on.

Death in Paradise comes on at random times ... sometimes Sundays, sometimes another day of the week. I think we caught an episode on Tuesday this week.

And that's just what's on now. The new school year has just started again and that usually means a great reshuffle of programs. In a week or two we'll likely have a completely different arrangement. There's no telling with the TV programming around here! It's kind of "lucky dip".

The tennis put an end to quite a few of our most recent "usual" programs earlier this week ... and then tennis was cancelled and I don't have any idea what's on now. Certainly not what's listed on the TV Guides or what was on before!

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🧡💚🤎
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    TV shows --

Sitcoms - we watch old episodes of M*A*S*H, Big Bang Theory, and Friends. That's the extent of our TV sitcom options. Later in the evening, we might get a few others from way back when, but I've usually turned the TV off by then.

Reality Shows - we don't get any singing and dancing ones anymore. There seems to be a lot of cooking ones, and survivor type but I'm not interested in those. When Lego Masters comes back on (soon, I hope!) we'll watch that.

Documentaries - we'll watch the science/engineering types about trains, ships, cars and buildings occasionally. They're usually fillers if there's a gap between other shows we might want to watch.

Other Filler Shows - QI, Antique Roadshow, Bargain Hunt ... maybe a Border Control show or an RBT/Highway Patrol

Home Shows - Better Homes and Gardens, Escape to the Country, Selling Houses Australia. These are usually on Fridays and Sundays.

Doc Martin on Mondays,
    Columbo and Kojak on Saturdays ... sometimes Midsommer Murders if they happen to put it on.

Death in Paradise comes on at random times ... sometimes Sundays, sometimes another day of the week. I think we caught an episode on Tuesday this week.

And that's just what's on now. The new school year has just started again and that usually means a great reshuffle of programs. In a week or two we'll likely have a completely different arrangement. There's no telling with the TV programming around here! It's kind of "lucky dip".

The tennis put an end to quite a few of our most recent "usual" programs earlier this week ... and then tennis was cancelled and I don't have any idea what's on now. Certainly not what's listed on the TV Guides or what was on before!

M in Oz

my husband and I very rarely watch tv together(or spend time together for that matter when we are at home)-
    He watches more sci-fi, horror, stuff like Walking dead which is the one show I have told him he can NOT watch in the living room where I am. He spends 95% of his waking hours back in his "man cave" and I am in the living room.
    I watch HGTV, FoodNetwork, National Geographic and TLC most of the time. I will watch channel 5 for Survivor(have only missed one episode in all the years they were on, and that was back before we could set the dvr to record the whole season) and Amazing Race. I was watching Hallmark but have watched every episode of Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons so many times so stopped watching them- When we first got the channel it was free but we couldn't record it so I found myself staying up until 1AM watching it. Now we pay a small amount and can record but don't because I have seen them all. I haven't turned the tv on yet today and it is almost time to head for bed. Husband, he on the other hand turns a tv on in what ever room he is in as soon as he gets in that room. There is a tv in every room except the bathroom and he takes his phone in there and he actually did have a little one in his bathroom before cell phones came out. He will fall asleep with the tv on almost every night. I can't sleep with any noise or light.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Machka9
    edited February 2021
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    TV shows --

Doc Martin on Mondays,

M in Oz

my husband and I very rarely watch tv together(or spend time together for that matter when we are at home)-
    He watches more sci-fi, horror, stuff like Walking dead which is the one show I have told him he can NOT watch in the living room where I am. He spends 95% of his waking hours back in his "man cave" and I am in the living room.
    I watch HGTV, FoodNetwork, National Geographic and TLC most of the time. I will watch channel 5 for Survivor(have only missed one episode in all the years they were on, and that was back before we could set the dvr to record the whole season) and Amazing Race. I was watching Hallmark but have watched every episode of Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons so many times so stopped watching them- When we first got the channel it was free but we couldn't record it so I found myself staying up until 1AM watching it. Now we pay a small amount and can record but don't because I have seen them all. I haven't turned the tv on yet today and it is almost time to head for bed. Husband, he on the other hand turns a tv on in what ever room he is in as soon as he gets in that room. There is a tv in every room except the bathroom and he takes his phone in there and he actually did have a little one in his bathroom before cell phones came out. He will fall asleep with the tv on almost every night. I can't sleep with any noise or light.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

We don't get any of those channels (HGTV, FoodNetwork, National Geographic, TLC and Hallmark) but I remember a HGTV and TLC from back when I lived in Canada.

We've got 5 ABC channels. On those we'll watch Midsommer Murders, Death in Paradise and QI.

We've got 2 Southern Cross. We rarely watch anything on that one.

There are 2 Channel 7s. Those ones have the docos, home & garden stuff, MASH, Doc Martin, Father Brown and Pie in the Sky.

There are 3 WIN channels. We rarely watch anything on them.

The 9 Network has 6 channels, I think. We'll get Antique Roadshow, As Time Goes By, Midsommer Murders, Death in Paradise, Poirot and Agatha Christie on those.

Channel 10 has 2 channels and we'll get old sitcoms on there.

SBS has 2 or 3 channels and we'll watch cycling on there when there is an event on.

And finally, we've got 2 or 3 odd channels that rarely have anything interesting on.

That's it! About 25 channels and often nothing on! There is often an evening each week where I'll either just turn the TV off or put on a DVD.

A couple years ago, I bought the full set of Scrubs (sitcom) just to have a sitcom to watch. At that time Channel 10 was not running old sitcoms all evening and some of the other channels were trialling horrible things like Criminal Minds etc. and we simply do not watch American horror/crime dramas - they are way too graphic - the thing of nightmares.

Fortunately about the time we got through the whole Scrubs series, TV here smartened up and returned to mainly British/Australian programming.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    TV shows --

Doc Martin on Mondays,

M in Oz

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

We don't get any of those channels (HGTV, FoodNetwork, National Geographic, TLC and Hallmark) but I remember a HGTV and TLC from back when I lived in Canada.

We've got 5 ABC channels. On those we'll watch Midsommer Murders, Death in Paradise and QI.

We've got 2 Southern Cross. We rarely watch anything on that one.

There are 2 Channel 7s. Those ones have the docos, home & garden stuff, MASH, Doc Martin, Father Brown and Pie in the Sky.

There are 3 WIN channels. We rarely watch anything on them.

The 9 Network has 6 channels, I think. We'll get Antique Roadshow, As Time Goes By, Midsommer Murders, Death in Paradise, Poirot and Agatha Christie on those.

Channel 10 has 2 channels and we'll get old sitcoms on there.

SBS has 2 or 3 channels and we'll watch cycling on there when there is an event on.

And finally, we've got 2 or 3 odd channels that rarely have anything interesting on.

That's it! About 25 channels and often nothing on! There is often an evening each week where I'll either just turn the TV off or put on a DVD.

A couple years ago, I bought the full set of Scrubs (sitcom) just to have a sitcom to watch. At that time Channel 10 was not running old sitcoms all evening and some of the other channels were trialling horrible things like Criminal Minds etc. and we simply do not watch American horror/crime dramas - they are way too graphic - the thing of nightmares.

Fortunately about the time we got through the whole Scrubs series, TV here smartened up and returned to mainly British/Australian programming.

M in Oz

I agree with you- American horror/crime dramas are just too graphic. Those are the things my husband watches most of the time. I don't understand why they have to be so graphic. The story line might be really good but I don't want to see all the blood and stuff.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA: I have an open invitation to see Arrow but haven’t had the energy it takes to go there so far. The injuries from my fall in December are healing slowly and don’t hurt so much anymore. I am encouraged that I’ll be able to do the things I like to do in the foreseeable future. The sooner, the better. :star: Your kitty looks like a big guy. :smiley:

Kim: Congrats on having a vacation!!! It is wonderful to see you here again. :flowerforyou:

csofled: It is good seeing you posting. :heart:

We got our Christmas boxes tucked away in the garage attic today. I’m glad to have finished it. We also had the chance to talk to our adult kids in VA and IL. I am grateful for getting the chance to see photos and talk with them.

Katla
  • Machka9
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Just got the news that we Tasmanians may all be vaccinated by the end of October. That's the plan right now. :)

If my husband and I are set free from his situation we might be able to leave the island in 2022!!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, Post Office, bank, progress ordering v6 training textbooks, made egg salad.
    Bonus: massage, listen to H and D
    Get to do: take BP, Post Office, bank, dogs to powerline, fire district: call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files; call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Friendly February:
    4: organize a virtual tea break with friends: That was our zoom Happy Hour Wednesday ;)

Not off to a good start this month either stepwise nor AF-wise. Fire hall phone calls eating up my time. While I’m giving the gift of listening while people process, I’d better get up off my butt and step in place.

Lisa thanks for the Bosal Poly-Therm Fleece, that’s just what I was imagining… that and a square of space blanket… ;)
    Allie :heart: Do you have some home care or meals on wheels?
    Karen in VA your squirrel looks so relaxed!
    Sue in WA Wow, is that a bobcat?
    Debbie in Napa, I thought it was weird to see blackberry blossoms here in January, but your February ripening raspberries – amazing! Joe, like your DH, likes to watch horror flicks. I do not. My nightmares are bad enough without them. So yes Joe watches in his man cave and I in the living room.
    Tracey glad the clamshells are helping. Thanks for the Young Sheldon recommendation, think I’d enjoy that. Really enjoyed Modern Family when it was on. Sometimes watch Mom. Record evening and morning local news so I can fast forward to the weather and bypass most of the rest. Used to love the home improvement shows (Property Brothers, Fixer Upper, Holmes) but realize they just add to my dissatisfaction with our house so tapered off. Poirot? Father Brown? Will have to search our pbs station to see if available here.
    Machka when I read “The new school year has just started…” I thought oh nooo, she isn’t going to start a new course already??? :laugh: Hopeful news for your 2022!

Macaroni and cheese, my favorite is the one I make from scratch, but it has too much butter, cream and cheese to have more than once a year, so last night I had next favorite: https://www.amys.com/our-foods/macaroni-cheese

Dining out: My favorite is appetizers at a brewpub, with special $pendy sit down restaurants for birthday (with friends) and anniversary (Joe indulges me in this sometimes). Haven’t done either indoors since last March. Outdoor brewpub twice (and froze in the wind.)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 3, weigh/wii: 4/13/49, steps>5627=3599, vits=4, log=4, CI<CO=4, CI<250<CO=4, Tumble=2 Shadow=3 mfp=3 outside=1 up hill=1
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx= dance= clean 60 mins= packwalk=1, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7: 2/14: 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=2 play=3 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Kim - So happy you had a good break. Sounds like fun. :D
    I'm like you, I can, and do, cook almost anything, so going out has to be for some other reason. Fish and chips as takeaway, or real pizza in a restaurant. It has to be 24 hr sourdough pizza and a real woodfired oven.
    We go to a vegetarian restaurant in Brighton that does incredibly fancy food that I could not emulate, especially the 'small plates'. Sensational.
    Otherwise I like to spend money on atmosphere, and especially service. I have been to quite a few world class top restaurants, which cost as much as a long weekend away, but it's always worth it. The only one that wasn't was in NYC. And that was the service, not the food. Paying that kind of money has to be a wonderful experience that stays with you. It’s a performance and you should feel special. The best waiters are just amazing , a combination of reassuring pilot and friendly doctor. Add that to the dazzle of the surroundings and the beautiful table and it truly is a little bit of heaven.
    I am thinking about going to one when the lockdown is over. We probably won't have a holiday this year, and haven't been further than a mile from our house for a year, so I might suggest to DH a night in a posh London hotel and a top meal out. That could be our " cruise". :D>:) I've just got to carefully work on him. ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    We watch dramas, foreign films and series, usually crime. When hubby goes to bed I put ALL4 on and watch West Wing I went back to beginning and now on Series 6. There are only 7 series but I’ve got about 10 left of 6. Love it.

Kate UK ❤️
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka when I read “The new school year has just started…” I thought oh nooo, she isn’t going to start a new course already??? :laugh: Hopeful news for your 2022!

Macaroni and cheese, my favorite is the one I make from scratch, but it has too much butter, cream and cheese to have more than once a year, so last night I had next favorite: https://www.amys.com/our-foods/macaroni-cheese

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

It's the new school year for the kids - some started on February 1 and others started on February 3.
    The new university year starts on February 22.

BUT ... I am NOT going back to school. :open_mouth:

2021 is not a school year for me ... thank goodness. :smiley:

I love macaroni and cheese, and I had the best macaroni and cheese in Scotland. I could have lived on the macaroni and cheese there ... plus the millionaire bars for dessert.

Machka in Oz
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    💙💛💚💓💜
  • Machka9
    Options
    Otherwise I like to spend money on atmosphere, and especially service. I have been to quite a few world class top restaurants, which cost as much as a long weekend away, but it's always worth it. The only one that wasn't was in NYC. And that was the service, not the food. Paying that kind of money has to be a wonderful experience that stays with you. It’s a performance and you should feel special. The best waiters are just amazing , a combination of reassuring pilot and friendly doctor. Add that to the dazzle of the surroundings and the beautiful table and it truly is a little bit of heaven.
    I am thinking about going to one when the lockdown is over. We probably won't have a holiday this year, and haven't been further than a mile from our house for a year, so I might suggest to DH a night in a posh London hotel and a top meal out. That could be our " cruise". :D>:) I've just got to carefully work on him. ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

That's what I wanted to celebrate my graduation and so we went to the best place in Hobart ... a revolving restaurant on the top of the largest hotel/casino. Wonderful views as we slowly rotated around, and the sun went down. Great service and good food. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    We watch dramas, foreign films and series, usually crime. When hubby goes to bed I put ALL4 on and watch West Wing I went back to beginning and now on Series 6. There are only 7 series but I’ve got about 10 left of 6. Love it.

Kate UK ❤️

My husband used to love West Wing and I've purchased 3 seasons so far.

Now, however, I'm not sure if he could follow it very well. It moves very fast.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    2021 is not a school year for me ... thank goodness. :smiley:

2021 is my Things To Do List year ... slowly chipping away at it. :)

In early January, I made my list ... in later January, I tried to start working on my list but for some reason, I just kept adding to it! Every time I turned around, there was something else to do.

This weekend is another long weekend and this time we're staying home. So I've started working on my dressing room!!

The first thing I've discovered is that I need to lose some weight! If I dropped 5 kg, quite a few of my clothes would look better on me. If I lost 10 kg, it would be even better!

The second thing is that my plan is coming together so far. I have spent some time thinking about what I wanted to do and I'm doing it in sections so that I don't make a huge mess. And that folding thing is working. It's interesting being able to see all my tops!

The third thing is that I may need some convincing to let go of some things, especially tops. They've been in my life a long time! I have had 2 other clothing purges so these have survived both of those. However, I am in my 50s and some of them will never work for me again.

My cat is fascinated and has been exploring empty drawers. :)

M in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    At about 2pm yesterday we got some MAJOR snow! It started out beautifully large and fluffy; you know, where you can see whole clusters of perfectly formed snowflakes! Then it turned to slush (or what meteorologists like to call; a wintry mix). Tim started shoveling at about 3:30 and there was already about four new inches of snow on the drive. He went out again at about 1am and shoveled another two or three inches of heavy wet snow. I heard him come in. He is going to be in some major pain today. I got out of bed to help him out of his snow gear and to get a couple of pills out for him. He is, now, snoring away, and I will just let him sleep and handle the nine kiddos, myself. I only had about two inches of heavy to shovel. It wasn't too bad; but the wind was awful. Snow day for the school kids today! Which means I have extra kids (yea/boo). It should be a good day. I have the games and puzzles ready, plus we are going to make snow ice cream. I have never made it before, so we will just make a simple vanilla recipe.
    My first two kiddos just arrived and brought a bag of playdoh and slime to share with the other kids. lol
    TV- We got rid of cable; but use my son's Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and Disney+ subscriptions. The last show I watched was Bridgerton. Due to all of the gratuitous sex, it felt a bit voyeuristic to watch, but the romance part of it was good. I have watched a few series. I tend to stay away from them, because I REALLY don't want to invest that kind of time in front of the tv. BUT...I am obsessed with The Witcher (waiting for season 2), the Mandalorian (waiting for season 3), there are a few others that I will probably tune in for second seasons if they have them (The Old Guard, Warrior Nun, Cursed). I also tend to go back to my all time favorites when I am feeling "lost" or in need of "family". MASH is one, House (bc Hugh Laurie! mmmm), Stargate SG-1, Sherlock. All of those are like seeing old friends or family. Kind of like how I re-read certain books from my childhood or teen years. (Little House books, The Belgariad/Mallorean books, Harry Potter series (okay, HP is a newer one))

Well, I better scoot. The one year old is already into the cupboards! She has been up since 5am!! Can anyone say, EARLY NAP??? ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    February Alphabet Challenge:

1. A - Aerobic Dance video:
    https://youtu.be/yN3GgCUmmXw
    2. B - I had to exercise in my bedroom today as it was bucketing with rain.
    3. C - I did some chair yoga today.
    4. D -
    5. E -
    6. F -
    7. G -

Terri - I did your Aerobic Dance video a couple days ago and :scream: I'm still sore! Actually it's an exaggeration to say I "did" it. That friendly fit woman with the shirt tied casually around her waist kept saying "Stay with me" and "Almost there" and I did my best. But DANG! I couldn't follow the moves because I've got two left feet. Later, I couldn't do anything except jump up and down in time to the music. Terri, if you followed along through the whole program, all I can say is: "You're a better (wo)man than I, Gunga Din!" >:)o:)

I can't add anything to all this talk of favorite TV programs, because we have no TV. I'm hopeless at trivia questions about any kind of pop culture. But ask me to perform something out of a choral work by Bach, or the Congregationalists' Pilgrim Hymnal that I grew up with, and chances are I can sing it by heart.

The icy cold weather is behind us for now and I've been out jogging in the "balmy" 15°F. That was good for my poor stiff calf muscles.

Back to the salt mine...

/Penny, working on a big commission at the
    t07190.gif