Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    Our Kroger has taken down all their mask required signs at the doors. The state wide mandate ended Monday and people are taking advantage of it. I will still wear a mask until I have had both shots.

Shot 1 is tomorrow morning so we shall see how it goes

Must be nice - we are in a modified "lockdown" and today they are going to announce a month long stay at home order. :(

(When I say "must be nice' I mean it would be nice to live in a jurisdiction where things getting back to "normal" was actually in sight.)

It may be less a case of things are getting back to normal due to science / actual risk and more a case of politics.

@Athijade: where do you live?

Indiana

Thanks! Interestingly, your Marion County / Indianapolis is keeping the restrictions in place. (And your governor has to defend his decision.)

https://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/coronavirus-indiana-sets-end-for-covid-19-restrictions-to-open-eligibility-to-all-16
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    edited April 2021
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Just popping in with my daily dose of cheery news ... About COVID sufferers suffering from brain disorders after recovery. 😞https://abc7.com/health/1-in-3-covid-19-survivors-suffers-brain-disease-study-finds/10494640/

I've read about that. It seems there is an inflammation in the spinal fluid that is causing it. I believe they found C Reactive protein in areas of the brain that it shouldn't exist. Though, the belief is, over time, it will settle down. I think they believe that antivirals will help over time.

There is a bright side to this. It's my personal opinion that a lot of illnesses have latent viruses behind them -- Fibromyalgia, Lupus, certain cancers, Lyme Disease, possibly Chronic Fatigue. I think in better understanding the source of these stealth viruses that don't go completely away and spending money on them will possibly help many more conditions than just Covid-19 long haulers. The long haulers are very similar to other conditions, it's just brought more attention to it, IMHO.

Edit -- it seems the scientific community is torn on if there might be a viral infection of the brain versus Autoimmune Encephilitis (inflammation of the brain caused by antibodies, but not a viral infection, where basically the body attacks the brain, like in other organ related autoimmune conditions).

My understanding is that Lyme disease is caused by the the bacteriums Borrelia burgdorferi and Borrelia mayonii but I would be delighted if something about this pandemic helped with Lyme disease treatment or prevention.

I was just at Urgent Care last week getting an imbedded tick removed. The doctor and nurse thought a tick bite was a big deal, which I thought was funny, as I have literally had dozens and dozens of tick bites over the years as I live in Massachusetts and spend a lot of time in the woods and fields, and tick mitigation is a normal part of my life this time of year.

I also knew my tick was not the blacklegged tick, which is the one far more likely to carry the disease, and that it had not been attached for very long. (The risk is lower if the tick has been attached for less than 36 hours.) (I don't believe I've ever been bitten by the blacklegged tick - these are much smaller than our usual ticks. I still take mitigation very seriously.)

But it was funny the way the doctor and nurse thought a tick bite was so unusual. The doctor needed to make sure I was wearing clothes out in the woods LMAO!

I've been stung by scorpions and bitten by a brown recluse spider - THAT was a big deal.

ps - I feel the need to clarify in advance, yes LYME disease is a big deal. But getting bitten by ticks that do not carry it is not.

Yep, Lyme disease is caused by bacteria. However, some ticks spread TBE (tick-borne encephalitis), which is caused by a virus, and there’s a vaccine for that. In Finland the vaccine is included in the public vaccination program for those who live or have a permanent summer cabin or vacation home in high risk areas. I don’t know how widely the virus (or ticks carrying it) is spread around the world, but at least in Finland it’s very localized. By that, I mean some high risk areas listed by the public health officials are specific parts of specific cities, while others are larger areas.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,712 Member

Here's the original New England Journal of Medicine article - and yes that's what my arm looks like
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2102131
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »

Here's the original New England Journal of Medicine article - and yes that's what my arm looks like

Patient #10 turned into a zombie, apparently... 🤮
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,712 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    lkpducky wrote: »

Patient #10 turned into a zombie, apparently... 🤮

It wasn't me! can't speak for my husband though.
    (although in my case they couldn't tell there was any change :p )
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My SIL texted me that her neighbor had gone to the health dept vaccine clinic nearby for her appt and heard they had a couple of hundred extra J&J shots that they were accepting walk ins for. I put on some real pants and ran down there and within 15 minutes I was vaccinated.

I am on their mailing list and follow them on FB, and there were no emails or posts advertising it. And there were folks there, but no line. I'm so grateful I found out about it, but no idea why they weren't pulling names off the state list and texting people.

So I ran a bit of a fever last night and felt generally achy. I woke up this morning and the fever is gone for now, but the news said the FDA is suggesting the US halt J&J because it's also seeing rare cases of this blood clot disorder. Oh boy :neutral:

Nate Silver has a valid point if you follow him on Twitter. Basically pointing out that the number of deaths prevented by going forward with the vaccine far outweighs the number of deaths from this blood clot issue. He is right.

Politics and common sense application of statistics, they are antithetical