May 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

@penguinmama87 – how old is your son? I hope he sticks with the running with you even if not every day.

He's 10. :) He wants to go out for cross country in the fall at his new school (we homeschool right now, and with that plus Covid he hasn't had much opportunity for organized sports, so he is really excited about having them available!) He's very active and spends a lot of time outside and running around, which is exactly what kids his age should do, IMO. I don't quite know how it will go, but my thought is: he can try it, and if he hates it, it's only for one season and he can say he gave it a shot. And running with me, when he wants to, can give him a little bit of a taste of what to expect.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Welcome @yirara ! Maybe I should look into the Garmin plans. I do the run/walk method. I didn't realize they had a plan that incorporates that. Right now I'm sort of combining the Matt Fitzgerald HM plan with the one the AF HM put out for beginners. But, I am taking walk breaks, which aren't called for in either of those plans. So, I guess you might say I'm doing my own thing. LOL

Have a look here for an overview to see if it's for you: https://www.myrunnerslife.com/garmin-coach/garmin-coach-complete-guide-to-the-coaches/

If I manage to finish this with Amy and like it I might switch to the half marathon plan without finishing time. This whole thing looks flexible enough: If the weather isn't good, or running gets too much I can move runs to other dates or just completely delete it. It gives me something half structured though, and some accountability (give me a virtual badge or a reminder, and I do it :D). Well, and if the app is convinced I won't be finishing in the target time then that's fine with me. I know I'll likely not be able to run that fast.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    ah bugger, @quilteryoyo :(
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,717 Member
    Options
    Welcome @yirara! Your goals sound great. We have runners of all speeds here. (I’m also a slow runner)

@penguinmama – I love seeing kids playing outside. Glad he’s giving the running a try even if he decides it’s not for him right now. I hated running in school and, several, several years later, I pay to run races. Who is this person?

Hope your mom is improving @rheddmobile.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your mom @rheddmobile. Hoping for a quick recovery!

Welcome @yirara. I also have an old FR235. But it does what I need it to do (for now).

Good to see you @garygse! I hear ya about training in this Texas heat! But it will be worth it when you are strong and ready for Boston in the fall!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,717 Member
    Options
    Way to go @shanaber!!! Free shoes is like a runner's dream come true! Beats a podium finish any day in my books!
  • pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

In for another 100 miles this month. Stretch goal will be 110 miles, but have a lot planned this month, so we'll see if I can squeak that out.

May 1 - 3.09 miles

Total for May - 3.09 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 96.91 miles
    Morning all!

In for another 100 miles this month. Stretch goal will be 110 miles, but have a lot planned this month, so we'll see if I can squeak that out.

May 1 - 3.09 miles

Total for May - 3.09 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 96.91 miles

Ha, I should have waited until after my run to post everything, but oh well.

May 2 - 6.43 miles
    Total for May - 9.52 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 90.48 miles

Miss a day and you miss so much!!

@quilteryoyo - You totally got it! Look forward to hearing all about the training and experience. :smiley:

May 4 - 5.11 miles
    Total for May - 14.63 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 85.37 miles

Yesterday in a t-shirt, this morning in long sleeves and probably should have worn gloves. Come on warmer weather!

May 5 -4.47 miles
    Total for May - 19.1 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to Go - 80.9 miles

@martaindale - I promise you I want that sweet spot of not needing gloves/tights/long sleeves but not hot and humid.

Took my speed work to the track today. Five, four minute tempo intervals with recovery in between. Felt really good.

May 6 - 3.61 miles
    Total for May - 22.71 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 77.29 miles

May 7 - 3.13 miles
    Total for May -25.84 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 74.16 miles

First double digit run in over a year!!

May 9 - 10.04 miles
    Total for May - 35.88 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 64.12 miles

Just an easy 10K to start the day.

May 11 - 6.28 miles
    Total for May - 42.16 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 57.84 miles

Had another opportunity to run with my husband today and really enjoyed it as we don't get to do it often.

May 12-4.36 miles
    Total for May - 46.52 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 53.48 miles

May 13 - 3.11 miles
    Total for May - 49.63 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to Go - 50.37 miles

May 15 - 6.22 miles
    Total for May - 55.85 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 44.15 miles

Note to self...don't try to run long less than 24 hours after donating blood. Did get a nice 4 mile run in though.

May 16 - 4 miles
    Total for May - 59.85 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 40.15 miles

@skippygirlsmom - I totally know better too.
    @ quilteryoyo - Thanks, feel much better today.

Much better today. Wanted to get a Monday run in since tomorrow and Wednesday are iffy with weather (calling for thunderstorms).

May 17 - 4 miles
    Total for May - 63.85 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 36.15 miles

Short 5K to beat the rain today.

May 18 - 3.11 miles
    Total for May - 66.96 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 33.04 miles

3.29 miles to get out some frustration today.

May 19 - 3.29 miles
    Total for May - 70.25 miles
    May Goal - 100 miles
    Miles to go - 29.75 miles

I may make my stretch goal of 110 miles for May :smiley:
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Score @shanaber!!! I've never known anyone that has actually won from something like that. I usually think it's a scam to get more likes/reviews/follows. So good to know there is a real payout.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Hugs for you and prayers for your mom.