Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @Ann262 Thanks for putting the vet's situation in perspective. The only thing I will add is that I assume the vets would have had that same 2 week closedown requirement in the fall. In November and December, when I had several appointments, it was my choice if I came in or did curbside. In the fall, I was not vaccinated and was a greater risk to them, but now that I am vaccinated I am not allowed in. I think that is what adds to my frustration. I had more options when I was a greater risk to them.

That's interesting. I've had a few vet appointments throughout this, and since covid started they've always done the wait in your car, get the call, drop the cat with someone at the door (or at the emergency place, they come to the car to get the animal), wait for the call to discuss, etc. I don't know when they plan to start.

I was bothered by this initially since one of my two cats has major vet fear (he takes anti anxiety medicine before going by I still like to be with him), but it has worked okay.

It's no problem to find a notary here, depending on the purpose, but there's also some zoom option, I believe.

Most everything is and has been open here, but there are still various limitations on the numbers of people allowed in (not to the extent that I run into lines like at the beginning) and still masks required inside normally (I think that last is changing in the rest of the state, but not here yet).
  • lemurcat2
    That sounds like a huge hassle, ugh.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Ugh, my deepest sympathies to all of you dealing with notaries and vets and ID’s. This makes me exceedingly happy to live in a place where notaries aren’t needed and ID’s can be renewed fully online and picked up from a post office that will ID you before releasing the package with the new ID. I’ve never owned pets so I don’t have experience with vets but from what I’ve heard, they’ve operated fairly normally throughout. The only vet-related limitation I’ve heard of is limiting how many humans can accompany a pet. That’s the same limitation with human doctors, though - my prenatal ultrasound appointments have a strict limit of one healthy adult support person (spouse or otherwise) per expectant mother, no children and no extra people.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    Our vet set-up was like yours, consulting on the phone out in the parking lot after the dog was taken indoors by the vet tech. Once they let me in when I requested it and on another occasion the vet actually came outside to talk with us since she didn't feel like the telephone consultation was enough. I understand why they do it, but it wasn't satisfying, especially since we had issues with our phone there. (It seems to be a dead zone, sometimes.)
  • lemurcat2
    edited May 2021
    hipari wrote: »
    Ugh, my deepest sympathies to all of you dealing with notaries and vets and ID’s. This makes me exceedingly happy to live in a place where notaries aren’t needed and ID’s can be renewed fully online and picked up from a post office that will ID you before releasing the package with the new ID. I’ve never owned pets so I don’t have experience with vets but from what I’ve heard, they’ve operated fairly normally throughout. The only vet-related limitation I’ve heard of is limiting how many humans can accompany a pet. That’s the same limitation with human doctors, though - my prenatal ultrasound appointments have a strict limit of one healthy adult support person (spouse or otherwise) per expectant mother, no children and no extra people.

The only times I've needed a notary have to do with legal documents (I'm a lawyer, and it seems like that SModa61 is dealing with a legal thing) and of course real estate sales/purchases or related refi of a mortgage. It's not like we need notaries constantly in the US. Are there no such similar things you would ever need one for?

Our driver's licenses can be renewed online (most common ID) so long as they are not expired, and a passport online if it was issued when you were older than 16 and no more than 15 years ago. However, there is a change in the type of ID needed for flying such that many driver's licenses don't fit the requirements and so there is a need to go in to replace the ID if you are switching to that (Real ID). But the deadline has been extended until 2023 for that to be required.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,164 Member
    Considering this posting from the FDA, I think that wearing masks a bit longer is worthy. At leas it is for me and my husband.

Don't rely on antibody tests to determine if you're immune to Covid-19, FDA warns

The US Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday issued a “safety communication” to remind Americans that SARS-CoV-2 antibody tests should not be used to evaluate whether someone is protected – or immune – from infection. SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus that causes Covid-19."

“The FDA is reminding the public of the limitations of COVID-19 antibody, or serology, testing and providing additional recommendations about the use of antibody tests in people who received a COVID-19 vaccination,” Dr. Tim Stenzel, director of the FDA’s Office of In Vitro Diagnostics and Radiological Health, said in a statement.

"Antibody tests can play an important role in identifying individuals who may have been exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus and may have developed an adaptive immune response. However, antibody tests should not be used at this time to determine immunity or protection against COVID-19 at any time, and especially after a person has received a COVID-19 vaccination," the statement added."

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-05-19-21/h_da08c24fedcbe37253022f507dca2766
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Although most stores here (Iowa) have signs saying mask optional if fully vaxxed , in the stores I have been in (including Costco) most people were wearing masks. We have pretty good vaccination rate, too.
  • lemurcat2
    edited May 2021
    at this stage nobody under 16, for starters.

Actually, here they are vaxxing people 12 and over now.

But I agree with your broader point.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    steffi1686 wrote: »
    I
    Saw a sign on the door to Starbucks today..."Masks are optional for fully vaccinated customers".
    Everyone that I saw going in still had masks on, and I assume at least some of them are vaccinated.

I think that there's more going on here than just people hesitant about the safety of taking off their masks. In my area, indoor mask-wearing is pretty universal, and previous to this CDC guidance, there would be outrage if someone took off their mask in a store.

I think stores should just keep the mask rules in place. I feel like those people who are unvaxed and don't plan to will go into stores without masks. Stores won't be able to check if each patron not wearing a mask is vaxed. I hope we don't have a resurgence of cases because of the relaxed mask rules.

Though private business can implement their own policies, a requirement would be difficult when state and local governments are dropping mask mandates and when that is also in line with CDC recommendations. We would be right back to people berating minimum wage employees just trying to do their job...and it would be worse, because the requirement wouldn't line up with the lack of government mandates and CDC recommendations.

We have overall done very well here in NM with this whole thing and are 2nd in per capita population in the US that is fully vaccinated. We've had a statewide mask mandate in effect since April 2020 and it was just lifted last Friday. Most business have or are in the process of changing their signage from "required" to "strongly encouraged" whether vaccinated our not. I was out and about a lot last weekend running errands and most people were still wearing their masks indoors. I would imagine that will slowly start change, but we've been generally pretty cautious here and I don't think many feel comfortable just flipping a switch here. People will watch and observe and see where the trend goes over the coming few weeks. We are mostly open with some capacity restrictions still in place, but we were under some of the most strict restrictions in the country for most of this thing and nobody wants to go back to that.