Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The CDC isn't just declaring the science, it is translating the science into public policy.

Most of the pros I listen to say that the risk to a vaccinated person, as things currently stand, is quite small. They are however concerned that if all the vaccinated stop wearing masks, the unvaccinated will too. That means we'll never get to herd immunity and COVID-19 will remain this simmering risk that could mutate into something that breaks through vaccine protection at some point. So they are concerned the CDC jumped the gun. They support the science but aren't sure about the public policy decision.

Community protection comes from herd immunity. And even for a vaccinated person, vaccines aren't 100%, it's herd immunity that covers your butt for that remaining small percentage of risk. IMHO public policy should be crafted to support herd immunity, and I'm not sure the CDC decision did that. Obviously, lots of people disagree with that, and I'm not in charge of anything lol. Just an armchair quarterback hoping we can put this behind us as quickly as possible.

Most stores here switched to "masks recommended" or "we would appreciate all unvaccinated people to wear masks" or something similar. Virginia dropped all occupancy restrictions last week, and masks are only required on public transportation I think. I'd say still well over half the folks at the grocery store are still wearing masks, and we have a halfway decent vaxx rate around here too.

I think they are thinking that it helps encourage vaccination to show that there are benefits -- like no more masks -- to being vaccinated, vs it seeming like nothing changes. Of course those of us who consider the protection a benefit see that as odd, but for the more reluctant folks.

My office is asking people to show their proof of vaccination if you want to go maskless in public spaces.

Yeah, my office is requiring that a copy of your vaccination card be submitted to HR to be considered fully vaccinated. It is required if you want to be able to be maskless at the office; anyone who is maskless in the office and is determined to not be fully vaccinated is subject to a week suspension without pay. Proof of vaccination is also required for personal or business travel without quarantine on return; though international travel regardless of vaccination status still requires quarantine.

We still have several people at the office who are in fact vaccinated fully but refuse to provide a copy of their card to HR. This makes little sense to me...as someone in a high level executive position with access to personnel files, there is way more sensitive information in them than a little card from the NMDOH showing the two dates of your vaccination...that's literally all it shows on the card. Very similar to when a doctors note is required for an extensive (more than 3 days) absence due to illness or a doctor's note clearing someone to return to work after a surgery or something.

Yep, it's just like HR requiring a doctor's note specifying why you need a long absence or some special allowance on site for a medical condition. That note detailing your med condition is kept on file, and probably has far more private info than your covid-19 vaccine card.

Our HR dept is in the corporate office, and their policy is to keep vaccine info at the local office level. So employees are to provide a copy of their card to the GM and he is keeping a list. He says we are 85% vaccinated, which means 6 employees have not provided it and will need to continue to mask. No policy has been announced as to what happens if they don't. I think our GM is hoping it won't be an issue. But two of those employees have told coworkers they are both anti vaxx and anti mask. It will be interesting to see how long the policy goes on and if they are willing to mask the whole time. I also know a couple of high risk coworkers who are vaxxed but will mask on site in an abundance of caution.

FYI we were told that while a company is within it's rights to ask about vaccine and have attendance/behavior policy based on it, we are not allowed to ask interviewees if they are vaccinated, as you are not allowed to discriminate in hiring based on that.

That's interesting. Is it a state thing? There was an interview on a statewide (Michigan) public radio program here recently, with an expert on that area of law. I admit I was only loosely paying attention (I don't have employees 😉), but I was under the impression that employers could make vaccination a condition of employment. I'm not sure whether that was something they could ask about in an interview, or something that would be part of the new-employee intake process and a hard disqualifier to actual hiring (which is how drug tests were, last I knew).

It's possible it is a company policy. They have stations in several states, so maybe it's the requirement in the most stringent place or just being overly cautious about possible lawsuits!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    FYI we were told that while a company is within it's rights to ask about vaccine and have attendance/behavior policy based on it, we are not allowed to ask interviewees if they are vaccinated, as you are not allowed to discriminate in hiring based on that.

Thats interesting.

Here in Australia relevant occupations can require proof of relevant vaccinations already - way before and not to do with Covid - and this certainly applies to prospective employees in most health fields

One must have up to date flu vaccine and whooping cough vaccine and proof of vaccination (or serological immunity) for MMR, Varicella, Hep B.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Mockchco - I think you will probably discover those persons were probably required to have a covid test prior to attending the game. They will also be required to be tested again a given number of days after the game. There have been a couple of events I've heard of here in Europe, the organisers were trying to discover the problems associated with the meeting of larger numbers of people. I think the number after a concert testing positive in the north UK were 5. Those cases might not have come from attending the concert itself but from other activity in those days. This seems to show, where numbers are low and everyone is pre tested the risks are low. I do understand concerns, its only natural.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Fuzzipeg No i dont think so.

Places in Australia where they have had outbreaks have played to empty stadiums - or to reduced capacity or almost full capacity depending on the state and the current covid situation there.

have not heard of spectators having covid tests prior.

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    We have a big football game on here this weekend with almost 30,000 people attending. There is no mask requirement here right now since we've had zero community transmission so far but this is not a great idea. People will come from other towns or from other states and might bring Covid here.

Australia is dismally behind with the vaccination roll out and there is a break out in Victoria of the Indian variant right now. Since some from there bolted in caravans to other states to get away before lockdown who knows what will happen. Not happy about this one bit. Glad I've had at least one shot.

It's so nerve-wracking even when there's no current cases! I went to a concert back in February with 30k people (Wellington, NZ), and the very next day we had a lockdown announcement (the cluster then was Auckland-based, but as you say, people travel for these events).
    Our travel bubble is "paused" with Victoria now too - but some kiwis had returned just before the latest lockdown, and last I heard some still hadn't responded to attempts to contact them.

We're a bit slow on vaccination here too - I get that we don't have quite the same urgency that other countries do, as we are currently doing well, but as the world vaccinations progress and things potentially start to open up, we need to be up with the program!
    I am lucky enough to have got mine already due to DH's work, but not many people I know have had even one dose yet (all Pfizer here).
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Has anyone got their second shot (Pfizer) and NOT had a bad reaction? I am getting mine on Saturday and everyone keeps telling me I am going to be sick from it.

Also wondering if anyone has got their second shot at an extended interval yet - my first shot was three months ago. I think I am in the first cohort here to get the second shot on the extended time frame so not sure how that might influence the side effect situation.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Has anyone got their second shot (Pfizer) and NOT had a bad reaction? I am getting mine on Saturday and everyone keeps telling me I am going to be sick from it.

Also wondering if anyone has got their second shot at an extended interval yet - my first shot was three months ago. I think I am in the first cohort here to get the second shot on the extended time frame so not sure how that might influence the side effect situation.

I didn't have what I think of as a bad reaction . . . my arm was pretty sore and I felt like I was on the verge of getting sick the day afterward, but it wasn't bad enough to change any of my regular activities. Oh, and my subsequent period was very heavy, but I'm in my forties so that could just be perimenopause. Either way, there wasn't anything that I would consider bad.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »

My second shot from Pfizer wasn't as bad as the first. I was sick with light flu like symptoms for around four or five days after the first shot.

The second one had no effect, other than feeling like I wanted to sleep for 24 hours.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2021
    @janejellyroll @MikePfirrman @cwolfman13
    Thanks that makes me feel better. My arm was barely sore for the first one, my husband and I both just had 1 1/2 days feeling sleepy and a little "off". I keep hearing the second one is worse but hopefully it will be fine for both of us.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    It's so weird to see Las Vegas operate with no restrictions in place now!

Would any of you go?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Would any of you go?

I love Las Vegas and I'm fully vaccinated, so I probably would.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Would any of you go?

Not Vegas, but only because I don't particularly care for Vegas. I am going to Miami and the Keys in late July...I'm fully vaccinated, so no worries really for me.