Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Has anyone got their second shot (Pfizer) and NOT had a bad reaction? I am getting mine on Saturday and everyone keeps telling me I am going to be sick from it.

Also wondering if anyone has got their second shot at an extended interval yet - my first shot was three months ago. I think I am in the first cohort here to get the second shot on the extended time frame so not sure how that might influence the side effect situation.

I just had a sore arm and some fatigue from my second Pfizer shot. Shots were two weeks apart.

I'm dreading my second shingles vaccine. I don't know if any or all of my sickness after that was actually a vaccine reaction or due to the Anaplasmosis I posted about a few days ago. 100% could have been the Anaplasmosis, or that could have kicked in the following week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The CDC isn't just declaring the science, it is translating the science into public policy.

Most of the pros I listen to say that the risk to a vaccinated person, as things currently stand, is quite small. They are however concerned that if all the vaccinated stop wearing masks, the unvaccinated will too. That means we'll never get to herd immunity and COVID-19 will remain this simmering risk that could mutate into something that breaks through vaccine protection at some point. So they are concerned the CDC jumped the gun. They support the science but aren't sure about the public policy decision.

Community protection comes from herd immunity. And even for a vaccinated person, vaccines aren't 100%, it's herd immunity that covers your butt for that remaining small percentage of risk. IMHO public policy should be crafted to support herd immunity, and I'm not sure the CDC decision did that. Obviously, lots of people disagree with that, and I'm not in charge of anything lol. Just an armchair quarterback hoping we can put this behind us as quickly as possible.

Most stores here switched to "masks recommended" or "we would appreciate all unvaccinated people to wear masks" or something similar. Virginia dropped all occupancy restrictions last week, and masks are only required on public transportation I think. I'd say still well over half the folks at the grocery store are still wearing masks, and we have a halfway decent vaxx rate around here too.

I think they are thinking that it helps encourage vaccination to show that there are benefits -- like no more masks -- to being vaccinated, vs it seeming like nothing changes. Of course those of us who consider the protection a benefit see that as odd, but for the more reluctant folks.

My office is asking people to show their proof of vaccination if you want to go maskless in public spaces.

Yeah, my office is requiring that a copy of your vaccination card be submitted to HR to be considered fully vaccinated. It is required if you want to be able to be maskless at the office; anyone who is maskless in the office and is determined to not be fully vaccinated is subject to a week suspension without pay. Proof of vaccination is also required for personal or business travel without quarantine on return; though international travel regardless of vaccination status still requires quarantine.

We still have several people at the office who are in fact vaccinated fully but refuse to provide a copy of their card to HR. This makes little sense to me...as someone in a high level executive position with access to personnel files, there is way more sensitive information in them than a little card from the NMDOH showing the two dates of your vaccination...that's literally all it shows on the card. Very similar to when a doctors note is required for an extensive (more than 3 days) absence due to illness or a doctor's note clearing someone to return to work after a surgery or something.

Yep, it's just like HR requiring a doctor's note specifying why you need a long absence or some special allowance on site for a medical condition. That note detailing your med condition is kept on file, and probably has far more private info than your covid-19 vaccine card.

Our HR dept is in the corporate office, and their policy is to keep vaccine info at the local office level. So employees are to provide a copy of their card to the GM and he is keeping a list. He says we are 85% vaccinated, which means 6 employees have not provided it and will need to continue to mask. No policy has been announced as to what happens if they don't. I think our GM is hoping it won't be an issue. But two of those employees have told coworkers they are both anti vaxx and anti mask. It will be interesting to see how long the policy goes on and if they are willing to mask the whole time. I also know a couple of high risk coworkers who are vaxxed but will mask on site in an abundance of caution.

FYI we were told that while a company is within it's rights to ask about vaccine and have attendance/behavior policy based on it, we are not allowed to ask interviewees if they are vaccinated, as you are not allowed to discriminate in hiring based on that.

That's interesting. Is it a state thing? There was an interview on a statewide (Michigan) public radio program here recently, with an expert on that area of law. I admit I was only loosely paying attention (I don't have employees 😉), but I was under the impression that employers could make vaccination a condition of employment. I'm not sure whether that was something they could ask about in an interview, or something that would be part of the new-employee intake process and a hard disqualifier to actual hiring (which is how drug tests were, last I knew).

It's possible it is a company policy. They have stations in several states, so maybe it's the requirement in the most stringent place or just being overly cautious about possible lawsuits!

I got curious about this. I think the program I was thinking of may've been US national, NPR's Marketplace, this story:

https://www.marketplace.org/2021/05/28/how-effective-are-employer-vaccine-mandates/

After going down a rabbit hole, I found this guidance document from US EEOC:

https://www.eeoc.gov/wysk/what-you-should-know-about-covid-19-and-ada-rehabilitation-act-and-other-eeo-laws

A key quote is:
    K.1. Under the ADA, Title VII, and other federal employment nondiscrimination laws, may an employer require all employees physically entering the workplace to be vaccinated for COVID-19? (5/28/21)

The federal EEO laws do not prevent an employer from requiring all employees physically entering the workplace to be vaccinated for COVID-19, subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of Title VII and the ADA and other EEO considerations discussed below. These principles apply if an employee gets the vaccine in the community or from the employer.

(As far as I could see, none of the "considerations discussed below" changed the overall tenor. Fundamentally, they deal with things like people with religious objections to vaccinations, and people with a medical condition that prevents their being safely vaccinated. Both of of those classes require "reasonable accommodation", which will be a familiar term to anyone HR-ish, but if others care, it's explained a little bit in the document linked.) Not sure exactly how it fits into hiring, but it's pretty clear that an employer can require vaccination of employees, with limited exceptions.

I know, it seems nutty that I'd look this up. A big chunk of my career involved doing systems support for a large organization's payroll and HR systems, so I'm loosely familiar with a lot of HR stuff. That made me curious about how something like this fit into the picture. 🤷‍♀️ Plus I have a bad tendency to get curious about really any random glittery-seeming thing that wanders into my field of vision sometimes. 😆

Thanks for going down the rabbit hole so I didn't have to!

I heard a piece on NPR today about how some are claiming it is not legal to force workers to get vaccinated as all the vaccines are currently in Emergency Use Authorization status. The medical ethicist was asked what he would suggest to companies, specifically nursing homes, about requiring vaccines - do it now or wait until regular FDA approval is granted, which is expected to happen soon. He said nursing homes should have already mandated it, and if they haven't already, to do it now.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    It's so weird to see Las Vegas operate with no restrictions in place now!

Would any of you go?

Not Vegas, but only because I don't particularly care for Vegas. I am going to Miami and the Keys in late July...I'm fully vaccinated, so no worries really for me.

As a former south Floridian, I just have to say YUCK about choosing to be there in late July ;)

Yeah, unfortunately it was really the only time. My fiscal year end is June 30 so I'm pretty busy this month and we signed up the boys for a very expensive 3 week summer camp in July before we knew we would be doing anything as that camp looked like it was going to really be our only opportunity to get them out of the house this summer.

They usually go to a different summer camp that is much cheaper and lasts all summer, but they didn't start that up this year. Some other options opened up a couple of weeks ago with the YMCA and such, but we had no idea if there would be anything when we signed them up.

Ideally, we would have waited until next March or something...but we haven't taken a family vacation since August 2018 and we need to get the hell out of here. We should be ok I think...we had our honeymoon in Roatan, Honduras in August and we lived, and we were in Cartagena, Colombia a few years ago and nothing can be as hot as that place...I hope.

My family used to go when the kids were young to Naples or Marco Island every year, just because, quite frankly, that was the only time and the cheapest time to go. We didn't mind it that much. And we'd sometimes drive across and hit the Keys while we were there.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Has anyone got their second shot (Pfizer) and NOT had a bad reaction? I am getting mine on Saturday and everyone keeps telling me I am going to be sick from it.

Also wondering if anyone has got their second shot at an extended interval yet - my first shot was three months ago. I think I am in the first cohort here to get the second shot on the extended time frame so not sure how that might influence the side effect situation.

I just had a sore arm and some fatigue from my second Pfizer shot. Shots were two weeks apart.

I'm dreading my second shingles vaccine. I don't know if any or all of my sickness after that was actually a vaccine reaction or due to the Anaplasmosis I posted about a few days ago. 100% could have been the Anaplasmosis, or that could have kicked in the following week.

Great I am hoping I am the same. Shingles vaccine is next up on my list.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Mockchco - I think you will probably discover those persons were probably required to have a covid test prior to attending the game. They will also be required to be tested again a given number of days after the game. There have been a couple of events I've heard of here in Europe, the organisers were trying to discover the problems associated with the meeting of larger numbers of people. I think the number after a concert testing positive in the north UK were 5. Those cases might not have come from attending the concert itself but from other activity in those days. This seems to show, where numbers are low and everyone is pre tested the risks are low. I do understand concerns, its only natural.

No testing will be done to the almost 30,000 people before or after the event fuzzipeg unless a individual has symptoms and goes to a testing site. I really doubt they'll even take temperatures of anyone. Also even 5 is 5 too many for us when we have had zero.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    My husband had Pfizer - no issues on either shot. He's older though, and that makes a difference in terms of how strong the body reacts.

Re shingles shots - I had a worse time with the first shot than the second. No sickness, but a lot of arm pain and swelling for the first, nothing for the second.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

I had mine at the normal three-week interval. My reactions to the first and second were pretty much the same, and not particularly bad. Not as bad as the shingles vaccine. My arm was sore for about a day, and I was tired for about a day and a half, and I had a very mild headache. I pretty much used it as an excuse to take it easy and rest. :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Would any of you go?

Not Vegas, but only because I don't particularly care for Vegas. I am going to Miami and the Keys in late July...I'm fully vaccinated, so no worries really for me.

As a former south Floridian, I just have to say YUCK about choosing to be there in late July ;)

I've been to Vegas once in August (and many times in the winter) and it was pretty YUCK then as well. Walking outside was like getting into a car that's been sitting in full sun on a hot summer day that has no A/C. Yes, I know a lot of people don't ever venture outside when they go to Vegas, but I'm not one of them.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Very sorry, Mockchoc and Australia. Last weekend a large number of UK football supporters went to Portugal for some Major football match, I don't follow. I heard on news programmes, voices of supporters saying, the cost of the tests were worth paying, to be able to go to the match. This was in addition to hearing about the supervised, tested large groups I referred to. I suppose this shows governments differences. I was wanting to be encouraging, supportive thought testing prior to anything was a reasonable action anywhere.

From over here, seeing how Australia and New Zealand have kept the virus best part out, when we, also an island landed in a right mess. It looks as if we could be heading that way again. Numbers are rising yet again, I was hearing, this is not at a level to worry about but when our test and trace is laughable, well, consideration should be given to not opening up to the free for all.

Wonderful they got tested. Wish here they had to. Crossing fingers your numbers don't rise much at all. We are all over this even us and not had to deal with what you all are. They are bringing back Australians stuck in India now. I hope this goes well for everyone. It must have been heart breaking to see what is going on there :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

Would any of you go?

Yeah, unfortunately it was really the only time. My fiscal year end is June 30 so I'm pretty busy this month and we signed up the boys for a very expensive 3 week summer camp in July before we knew we would be doing anything as that camp looked like it was going to really be our only opportunity to get them out of the house this summer.

They usually go to a different summer camp that is much cheaper and lasts all summer, but they didn't start that up this year. Some other options opened up a couple of weeks ago with the YMCA and such, but we had no idea if there would be anything when we signed them up.

Ideally, we would have waited until next March or something...but we haven't taken a family vacation since August 2018 and we need to get the hell out of here. We should be ok I think...we had our honeymoon in Roatan, Honduras in August and we lived, and we were in Cartagena, Colombia a few years ago and nothing can be as hot as that place...I hope.

My family used to go when the kids were young to Naples or Marco Island every year, just because, quite frankly, that was the only time and the cheapest time to go. We didn't mind it that much. And we'd sometimes drive across and hit the Keys while we were there.

Definitely a lot cheaper than high season...we got some pretty decent deals. The humidity will get me I'm sure as I'm not used to it at all but I usually adapt after a few days. Temperature wise we're already hitting 90s in NM and we'll be over 100 in late July...so the heat won't really bother me, it'll be the humidity. Sounds like potential for afternoon rain is pretty good, so I'm sure that will help.

When my wife and I honeymooned in Roatan in August, it was pretty stinkin' hot and humid, but we spent most mornings scuba diving and then the rains would come in pretty much everyday around 2PM or so and cool things off and made for pretty nice evenings.