Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/JhRb5hnTseU

UK has decided the Pandemic is past and will stop testing people not seeking medical treatment. Germany stops paying for Covid-19 testing in October since all humans will have Covid-19 sooner or later and that herd immunity is a medical myth.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

UK has decided the Pandemic is past and will stop testing people not seeking medical treatment. Germany stops paying for Covid-19 testing in October since all humans will have Covid-19 sooner or later and that herd immunity is a medical myth.

Disagreeing with their decision, not with your post (just clarifying my disagree there LOL)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Disagreeing with their decision, not with your post (just clarifying my disagree there LOL)

I never thought it would be so easy to stop a pandemic by calling it in an endemic.

While medically I can understand what they're saying what is sad is all these nations that do not have access to vaccine and it will take many of them out while they're building natural immunity.

I wonder if this means restrictions and mask mandates are over?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Interesting about limiting testing use. I've wondered how long insurance would cover asymptomatic testing. There are essential situations, e.g. known close exposure to a teacher or health care worker or other essential worker who could perpetuate asymptomatic spread if not caught prophylactically.

Then there are purely recreational uses. E.g. my college age daughter's living group of 8 probably once/month scheduled a purely discretionary outing, usually gathering with one other living group of the same size or travelling as a group to one of the roommate's parents' homes. In either case, they all tested before the event and again 5 days after. They made the before and after testing appointments at the same time upon scheduling whatever it was they planned to do. It was just to keep each other and whoever they were visiting safe.

On one such occasion, one person in DD's living group tested positive after getting together with the other living group. (They found out after getting together that one person in the other group had an unwitting exposure several days before.) It was a little frantic for a couple days keeping everyone apart until they could get PCR results. Amazingly, after one roommate tested positive, the university contact tracers stepped in and got PCR results for the other roommates in about 3 hours. Maddeningly, the university wanted the negative girls to quarantine together with the sick girl. The parents felt otherwise. The one sick girl stayed in the apartment and the others drove separately to one of the roommate's parent's second homes to wait out the quarantine period. They tested a couple times during the wait, too. In the end, only 1 of the 8 got sick from that encounter. Ok, really long anecdote, but on the one hand the testing was purely recreational. I could see insurance declining that sort of thing in the future. I mean, they could have, hypothetically, just isolated for a whole year. On the other hand, the prophylactic testing did contain the spread. The same actions would have resulted in more infection if not for having testing as a tool. I'm really glad they had that access.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I still don't see how wearing a mask hurts the economy. We have to wear shirts and shoes when we go inside a business. What's one more item of clothing?

Some people will choose to go to other businesses or states if they would be required to wear a mask.

Going to another state every time you want a coffee at a Cafe or items from the supermarket seems a tad impractical.

Sure. For many. However, I live in a historically democratic state and live about 8 miles from a republican state. So there is that! Summer 2020 looked very different just 8 miles away.

In some cases, it's not about moving states. There are cities that have one set of rules and another very nearby that has a different set. If a person is against wearing a mask to shop, it's very easy to drive a few more miles to go to a location without the rule.

Those people who reject wearing masks would be very much less likely to visit a place for vacation with a mask mandate.

That goes both ways. Had I not had so much non-refundable money invested in my vacation to Florida in late July, I would have cancelled the trip and gone elsewhere. When we booked it, things were very much looking on the up...by the time the trip occurred it was a *kitten* show down there.

We have a Florida vacation scheduled for late September with another vaccinated couple. We have a condo on the beach snd and our purpose in going is to hang on the beach. If situation warrents it can do very well without going out to restaurants etc.

The only time we really felt overly "exposed" was in the evenings in Key West walking around upper Duvall after sunset. If that was low season, I can't imagine high season. Whole street just jam packed with people. We were staying on the southern side and it was much quieter and the majority of our activities were outside.

September should be nice...it was hot AF at the end of July.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    If we are all now bound to get it what on earth have the last 18 months been all about in the UK.

Until the data came in from Israel it was thought that the virus was something that man could control.

Now we understand that we will continue to get covid-19 over and over into the future like other types of flu.

The positive seems to be every time we get it again it'll be the same thing as getting a booster.

We should be hearing from North and South America as well as Asia on the subject in the coming weeks.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I still don't see how wearing a mask hurts the economy. We have to wear shirts and shoes when we go inside a business. What's one more item of clothing?

Some people will choose to go to other businesses or states if they would be required to wear a mask.

Going to another state every time you want a coffee at a Cafe or items from the supermarket seems a tad impractical.

Sure. For many. However, I live in a historically democratic state and live about 8 miles from a republican state. So there is that! Summer 2020 looked very different just 8 miles away.

In some cases, it's not about moving states. There are cities that have one set of rules and another very nearby that has a different set. If a person is against wearing a mask to shop, it's very easy to drive a few more miles to go to a location without the rule.

Those people who reject wearing masks would be very much less likely to visit a place for vacation with a mask mandate.

That goes both ways. Had I not had so much non-refundable money invested in my vacation to Florida in late July, I would have cancelled the trip and gone elsewhere. When we booked it, things were very much looking on the up...by the time the trip occurred it was a *kitten* show down there.

We have a Florida vacation scheduled for late September with another vaccinated couple. We have a condo on the beach snd and our purpose in going is to hang on the beach. If situation warrents it can do very well without going out to restaurants etc.

The only time we really felt overly "exposed" was in the evenings in Key West walking around upper Duvall after sunset. If that was low season, I can't imagine high season. Whole street just jam packed with people. We were staying on the southern side and it was much quieter and the majority of our activities were outside.

We're in the Panhandle, Destin/Ft Walton Beach area, things are pretty spread out there, plus low season. Highs supposed to be around 84 when we're there. Just hope for everyone's sake no hurricanes.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    We all (in the US and Canada and Europe, etc) have the ability to be vaxxed, and the only places where people are likely to be hospitalized in large numbers are those where they are voluntarily choosing not to be vaxxed. We also should soon have the option to have a booster. So I don't think negatively of Germany at all.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    That said, my understanding is one big difference between Germany and the US is they've approved the cheap tests so people can do 5 tests a week for less than $5, whereas in the US it's like $15 for 2 unreliable tests (they only work if you have symptoms).
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    That said, my understanding is one big difference between Germany and the US is they've approved the cheap tests so people can do 5 tests a week for less than $5, whereas in the US it's like $15 for 2 unreliable tests (they only work if you have symptoms).

Still a bargain. I'm starting to see ads for rapid antigen testing "for travel" here at a cost of $40. I have no idea what the PCR tests cost but I think one is required when returning to Canada from international travel.

The regular health unit testing for symptomatic people or close contacts does remain free though.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

September is not nicer in many parts of Florida :).

ETA. I see he's talking about the panhandle. That may be nicer in September.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

September is not nicer in many parts of Florida :).

ETA. I see he's talking about the panhandle. That may be nicer in September.

We're going later in the month, average highs around 84 degrees. Have been there in July and August, NBD, we're going to sit on the beach and drink mainly lol