Coronavirus prep

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,249 Member
    mjglantz wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a question that has been already covered, but I am wondering if anyone has stats for rate of "break through" infections vs second Covid infections. Basically, hubby and I are trying to assess the risk for my 82 year old vaccinated MIL by her being around a non-vaccinated person that tested positive for a COVID infection in May 2020. Is she really at more risk being with this person vs my husband and I, who are fully vaccinated with no known infection? My instinct is that it should be a draw, but I bet there is a more official answer. TIA

My husband is in his early 70’s and has some significant health challenges. He didn’t have much of a reaction to either his first or second COVID shot. I am assuming this means he didn’t produce many antibodies.
    So I am continuing to not allow him around anyone whose vaccine status is either unknown or has chosen not to be vaccinated.

If your MIL didn’t have much of a reaction to the vaccine, I personally would advise the same.

I don't think the level of reaction to the vaccine has anything to do with your immunity. Know I read that somewhere. Seems like older people had less of a reaction to the vaccine (and more to Covid) while last spring younger people pre -Delta had more of a reaction to the vaccines and less to Covid. Now the advice is to get a booster.

Nevertheless.
    I am morally and legally responsible for his health and safety. I am not going to take any chances.

Seriously. THREE disagrees on this one???

What in the world could anyone possibly be disagreeing with????

This isn’t someone’s finger slipping.

some people disagree to disagree. ie: some people are just disagreeable.

you cant let it bother you hun ;)

I forgot to say soap tastes like cilantro 🤣
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    If we are all now bound to get it what on earth have the last 18 months been all about in the UK.

Um, I think, it was all about waiting for the vaccine. Now there's a vaccine that mitigates the severity. Before, there wasn't. Realistically, we can't stay locked up forever.

This Pandemic didn't come with HOW TO manual. Most of world's population doesn't have access to modern medical care or even access to any of the vaccines. Data coming out of Israel shows a short half life to stop the spread. Now we have 5 back to back holidays. Even the weather has gone berjerk.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    mjglantz wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a question that has been already covered, but I am wondering if anyone has stats for rate of "break through" infections vs second Covid infections. Basically, hubby and I are trying to assess the risk for my 82 year old vaccinated MIL by her being around a non-vaccinated person that tested positive for a COVID infection in May 2020. Is she really at more risk being with this person vs my husband and I, who are fully vaccinated with no known infection? My instinct is that it should be a draw, but I bet there is a more official answer. TIA

My husband is in his early 70’s and has some significant health challenges. He didn’t have much of a reaction to either his first or second COVID shot. I am assuming this means he didn’t produce many antibodies.
    So I am continuing to not allow him around anyone whose vaccine status is either unknown or has chosen not to be vaccinated.

If your MIL didn’t have much of a reaction to the vaccine, I personally would advise the same.

I don't think the level of reaction to the vaccine has anything to do with your immunity. Know I read that somewhere. Seems like older people had less of a reaction to the vaccine (and more to Covid) while last spring younger people pre -Delta had more of a reaction to the vaccines and less to Covid. Now the advice is to get a booster.

Nevertheless.
    I am morally and legally responsible for his health and safety. I am not going to take any chances.

Seriously. THREE disagrees on this one???

What in the world could anyone possibly be disagreeing with????

This isn’t someone’s finger slipping.

some people disagree to disagree. ie: some people are just disagreeable.

you cant let it bother you hun ;)

I forgot to say soap tastes like cilantro 🤣

That's how the disagreers know they're getting to you. :smile: Just ignore 'em.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Margaret, Dementia is dreadful, sole destroying for all concerned, one can only try. You can only do your best for your husband knowing what he would have wanted. You are probably fearing what is to come for both of you.
    .............................................................................................................................................................

Margaret, What I have written below is for those who have no clue what you could be expecting over the next years.

It is commonly 10 years after onset before investigations start. I know its so very painful when their condition gets away from them. Just being able to watch as their frustrations increase, loving them just does not reach them any more, These loved ones who have probably tried to cover their difficulties for years, until it just becomes too difficult. Over time they become more and more frustrated as they become less independent, less able to communicate as the words don't come or come out wrongly, as their sphere of reference decreases, their world closes in, then their disposition changes totally. I visited a family member yesterday, a delicately placed knee blanket would have made all the difference. had the carer thought!!!

I deeply wish addressing the underlying causes of, for want of a better term, their inflammations and cofactors of the end result had found relevance here. Our medics are still in the extremely dark ages.

My family member is hypothyroid, they, NICE, UK, insist providing t3 does not make any difference, yet t3 is needed for good brain/mental health, there are many causes for someone not converting t4 to t3, conversion is not a given as is its purported to be. Never forget t3 is needed for good mental health and so much more.................

Any of the other autoimmune conditions, PTSD, tinnitus/damaged hearing, are isolating, isolation enables covering symptoms from others. Even T2 diabetes and many other conditions can be involved. There can be one condition or several but there are health difficulties present in all who end up with one of the many forms of dementia. Its far from a one size fits all situation.

Anyone is welcome to disagree with me but you need to have experienced in some close way or other. Dementia is a pandemic too, so getting to the underlying causes in the individual is vital. Internationally the care costs are going to be mush worse than costs of addressing the issues, even worse than covid.

It's not easy caring for someone with dementia, my mother passed away in Sept 2020 due to advanced dementia/alzheimers.

This is a ways off but for anyone interested, this is a free MOOC run by the University of Tasmania, starts in Feb 2022
    https://www.utas.edu.au/wicking/understanding-dementia

Another free and excellent MOOC starting in Oct 2021, this addresses the lifestyle risks associated with dementia
    https://www.utas.edu.au/wicking/preventing-dementia

I've done the second MOOC as part of a long term dementia prevention research project (and it was quite an eye opener as to the non genectic risks of dementia - The Island Study Linking Ageing and Neurodegenerative Disease (ISLAND) Project will involve a range of studies that relate to understanding who is at most risk of dementia and how we can self-manage risk behaviours to build resilience to dementia.

https://island.mooc.utas.edu.au/
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Thank you Tiptoe. the course looks very interesting, something, I should look into more if I were certain of my child minding schedule, By the end, were I to qualify being out of area, I'd be back in the thick of it again. Its so good to see Australia takes an educative approach. Here I feel we are left to our own devices and whatever accredited scientific work we can find for free online. Thank you once again.