Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

no sugar or flour, food addiction?

brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
edited October 2021 in Debate Club
Do you think there is food addiction? Some people say dont eat sugar or flour. That seems like a hard way to live, not ever having a cookie? They say they dont struggle. What do you think? I know I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds, it is still a struggle for me. I would like to not struggle but giving up sugar and four seems so hard.

Replies

• mjc614900
    mjc614900 Posts: 30 Member
    I lost 25 pounds through Vida counseling. I have been at 130 for five months. I monitor my sugar intake. If I have frozen strawberries I put sugar on them. If I have oatmeal I put in sugar. A cookie? I evaluate what I want to eat, and make it fit into my daily eating goals. What is holding me back now is lack of running on a treadmill for three miles a day. We will never be able to cut sugar and flour our of our diet - so I fit them in in moderation. No more than two slices of whole wheat bread a day, but usually only one.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as food addiction as far as i am concerned. I don't know anyone who can't stop eating broccoli or beans or any vegetable. We just like sweet things. Our ancestors liked sweet things. Sugar gives us and our brains energy. So we have evolved to eat sugary things .It used to be fruits, now it's cookies and pastries. That being said, i don't have a problem moderating myself. I may eat a whole pack of cookies, or i may eat just 1 cookie. Every day is different. It depends on how i've slept, what else i've eaten, where i am in my monthly cycle hormonally,etc.
    I would not enjoy life if i had to completely cut off an entire group of products out of my life.

Eating a whole pack of cookies and that is moderating yourself?

Carry on.

If you have the calories or make a conscious decision to eat a whole pack of cookies rather than being UNABLE to stop eating cookies? Might not be moderating that time but it's sure choosing NOT to moderate, vs not beign ABLE to moderate.

Heck, I ate a whole pint of ben and jerry's this weekend. Was it moderation? No. Does that mean I can't moderate? No. It means I was very active, had a lot of calories 'to spare' and made a choice. I'm a grown up. W e're allowed to do that.

I would argue this is still moderation. Moderation is not only about the amount, but the frequency and the calorie budget too. If you have enough calories to fit in a whole pack of cookies, it probably doesn't happen daily and you're probably making an informed choice to eat it within your calories vs losing control and going way over calories. That's still moderation (defined as the avoidance of excess) in my book. Those cookies are not "excess", they're right within the plan.

Honestly I agree with you and almost said as much but I could see the argument to that coming and I am just too tired for it today, LOL.