WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA because I felt just terrible, but Wednesday I went in and had surgery on my thyroid gland, and I am happy to report that my surgeon removed the largest goiter she's ever done, which had grown down to my chest and started to wrap round the back of my neck. I feel SO MUCH BETTER, despite the whole "sore and bruised throat" stuff. I'm on restrictions for a couple weeks, which I will comply with, but I just feel like once that's over, look out world, I'm going to be focused on weight loss and working out so that I can keep feeling better and better.
    I'm not going to log until the two weeks are over, or until I feel I can eat a regular diet again. Right now I'm on soft food and my voice sounds like I have a bad case of laryngitis, so when all that settles down I'll feel better about going to the gym.
    But I am just feeling such relief that it's over and I'm so amazed that I feel this much better already.

Alexandra
    Indiana

WOW ... I bet you feel better!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Well if things couldnt get worse.my poor brother who has had eye problems for the last few years has had a detached retina. And it happened again today.. so he went to the eye dr and will have surgery on Thursday..
    No news on uncle he cant swallow so no eating or drinking ,so im guessing comfort measures only..hoping he can make it to his birthday on the 25th .he would be the same age as his brother when he passed
    Well im going to try and go to sleep.. alot on my mind lots to worry about.but none that i have any control over..good night my dears xoxo
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Ladies!

ANOREXIA OF AGING
    Currently, I’m delving into Anorexia of Aging. I didn’t realize it’s a “thing”. I know several of you ladies here are facing challenges with older family members, perhaps there’s some information here which will help you.

My husband, who has cognitive decline, also has been losing weight the past several months averaging a pound a week. (Not wanting to waste, I’ve picked them up.) He’s still within the “normal” BMI, but trending toward underweight.

He has very little appetite. Gets filled up easily. Right now, I’m managing to get a bottle of Ensure down him – 16 gm of protein with vitamins and minerals added. That brings him up to half the protein requirement he needs per day. Sigh. I will continue to offer different flavors and nutritional products to him.

I thought his anorexia was mainly due to dementia, but I’ve discovered that for him it’s more likely due to his other physical ailments- heart and circulation, rheumatoid arthritis, years of taking omeprazole – stomach emptying issues, etc.

If anyone is interested, here are some links which you can google:

Anorexia of Aging (todaysgeriatricmedicine.com)
    Anorexia of Aging: A Modifiable Risk Factor for Frailty (nih.gov)
    Adult + Senior Wellness: Anorexia of Aging - Today's Dietitian Magazine (todaysdietitian.com)
    The anorexia of aging - PubMed (nih.gov)

One of the articles states that as we age, it’s normal for the A1C thresholds to rise. And another one talks about the protective properties of Vitamin D in helping the hormones that prevent anorexia in the elderly.

Lanette
    Foggy and chilly SW WA State

This is super helpful, Lanette. We are dealing with similar issues with my mother. I was not prepared for it, as I did not understand it was a thing.

Thank you for sharing it.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    ?? about tracking calories-
    DH brought home a spring roll from his deli- The package says 470-550 calories.
    I broke it down by and my figuring- at most it was 200(I did not use the Thai chili sauce that came with it)

This is how I broke it down- does it look right?
    Rice paper - Spring roll paper, 1 pcs 30 6 0 0 0 0
    Crab - Imitation, 0.5 cup 80 14 0 6 450 3
    raw shrimp - Shrimp, 2 oz 40 1 1 8 320 0
    Baby Cucumbers (Joy) - Cucumbers, 1 EACH 15 3 0 0 0 2
    Avocado, 1 oz 45 2 4 1 2 0
    Add Food Quick Tools
    210 26 5 15 772 5
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Julie – I can’t think of a veggie that I DON’T like. Could be steamed, baked, stir fried, just not deep fried. I don’t care for lots of oil, butter, or any sauces. I want to taste the veggie, not the sauce.

Michele in FL
    who is on her way to the pool

I also like most fruit and veggies.

Except peppers. Especially green peppers.

And some lump mushrooms into vegetables, but they're fungus and not meant to be eaten.

And I haven't been brave enough to try Durian yet.

I had a look through these lists and there are only a few I haven't tried.

Veggies: https://www.halfyourplate.ca/fruits-and-veggies/veggies-a-z/

Fruit: https://www.halfyourplate.ca/fruits-and-veggies/fruits-a-z/

I also like nuts, grains, and legumes.

But my body doesn't handle peanuts, and to a lesser extent, cashews and peas too well.

Machka in Oz

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Debbie –
    If there is a ingredient list give that a look, as it could be that there is some oil or other fat/sugar in there. I was trying to find something calorie acceptable at Black Bear Diner a few years ago and found out from the server all their bread was dipped in melted butter then “toasted” on the grill….

Machka – great lists I love fruit and veggies too, there were more than I expected that I had not heard of, many (most?) are from the equatorial area and are not regularly available in my area. I agree that mushrooms are fungus, but do think many of them should be eaten (LOL) and eat them regularly.

Thinking of you all, and hoping for a happy healthy day
    Smiles Kim in N. California
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Debbie –
    If there is a ingredient list give that a look, as it could be that there is some oil or other fat/sugar in there. I was trying to find something calorie acceptable at Black Bear Diner a few years ago and found out from the server all their bread was dipped in melted butter then “toasted” on the grill….

Machka – great lists I love fruit and veggies too, there were more than I expected that I had not heard of, many (most?) are from the equatorial area and are not regularly available in my area. I agree that mushrooms are fungus, but do think many of them should be eaten (LOL) and eat them regularly.

Thinking of you all, and hoping for a happy healthy day
    Smiles Kim in N. California

I just looked at the other two types of sushi labels- they use the same exact one for both, same as what was on my package- I will just track it by the ingredients . There was a sauce package with mine but I did not use any, no other sauce on it.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Kim— I also like mushrooms. DH & I went mushrooming early in our marriage. We took a good mushroom book to identify wild mushrooms and avoid anything toxic. Now we buy fresh mushrooms in the grocery store when they are available. Fresh is best but not always available so we have some canned mushrooms in the pantry. :ohwell:
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Options
    I have noticed recent comments here about Vitamin D-3. I have heard it called the sunshine vitamin. I know it lifts my mood & makes me feel better.

Katla
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Getting excited and nervous about our guests coming now! :p I will have plenty of time to indulge my perfectionism after exercise. Found a new washing-up brush under the sink. All is good.

Wind has died down, but the sunny skies will be changing to downpours this afternoon. No walks on the seafront. :s Three people died yesterday from falling trees and debris.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    qs5am3csp3gt.jpg

Hove, The West Pier. (Already a ruin) Press photo.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Options
    Heather — The waves are powerful, exciting & more than a bit scary. I would love to watch them from a safe location. Is there a safe pier or watchtower for the public?
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, steps >7400, CI<CO, CI<250<CO, active 3:48
    Bonus: 41 mins grooming Tumble, 2+ hrs fire district index mutual aid files, agreement research and emails, long walk with D.
    Workin’ on it: 143.1, H20x5.
    Friendly February 2022
    18: Respond kindly to everyone you talk to today, including yourself ;}
    19: Share something you find inspiring, helpful or amusing.

Barbie, ditto what you said. Thanks for the reinforcement.
    Alexandra wonderful news!
    Terri and Heather please send some of that rain here! You can keep the wind… ;)
    Faith in So.Cal love the meme, but I’d add a ((hugs)) blossom ;) Looking forward to pics of your rambunctious lab.
    Annie 6 mins on the elliptical and 12 mins marching? Wasn’t very long ago you were afraid you couldn’t do even 2 minutes. Well done!
    Tracey :love: the crooked house, especially the reminiscent yellow touches.
    Vicki you are so right about the headaches of management. Hope your new boss is a good one.
    Debbie birthday dental appointment? Yuck!
    Lanette “…there’s always something to celebrate throughout the day, so pay attention “ :love: this, putting it up on a post it. Thanks for the links, so good to see you posting again.
    Michele “…on her way to the pool…” oh how I covet your pool, and swimming weather.
    Katla thanks for the mothball suggestion. Joe’s been pouring ammonia then pounding down the gopher mounds, but they keep popping back up. Whooshing you calm and courage for the call. ((hugs))
    Allie ((hugs))
    Machka ditto on the green peppers. When they ripen to orange and red they’re fine, but when they’re green, well, you wouldn’t eat anything else that wasn’t ripened, would you? And Durian, yeah no, don’t think I could get past the stinky feet smell. I do like cremini mushrooms though… ;)
    Heather thanks for the pic and was glad to read both that the pier was already a ruin and that it was a press photo, that you weren’t out in that weather. So sorry to hear of the weather related deaths.

Lovely long walk and chat with D from boardwalk to Sporthaven beach where the sea and sky were grey and the waves, while big, were nothing like those at Hove.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • Machka9
    Options
    Got a flat right near the end and felt kinda flat throughout the ride.

a3wbxfaa6cfl.png
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    HEATHER wow about the storm.
    I have a colleague who was flying out to meet see his elderly mom on Friday morning (not able to see her much in past 2 years). I hope he makes it.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Interesting article. I actually do my own personal combination of these.
    While my list does make me feel overwhelmed, I am actually accomplishing what I *need* to by the deadlines.

I Tried 4 To-Do List Methods. Here’s What Worked.
    by Kelsey Alpaio
    January 14, 2021

https://hbr.org/2021/01/i-tried-4-to-do-list-methods-heres-what-worked

My method is this:

I have a long, long, long, long, long To Do list on the computer in Word. It's got EVERYTHING. It's probably got much more than it needs to.

A list as long as mine would be useless if it were just an incredibly long list. But I divide it into sections.
    - The top section are items with due dates.
    - That is followed immediately by items that I need to complete soon but which don't have due dates.
    - The next set of sections divides items into "rooms". I work well when I divide tasks into rooms. So I'll have the things I need to do in the bathroom, things I need to do in the office, etc. Those are long-term things which I know I'll be working on next year this time.
    - The last section are all the things I've completed. I didn't used to keep those. I used to delete things when I finished them but I felt like I was spinning my wheels and not getting anything done. So I started keeping what I've done and it turns out that I've done A LOT!

In addition to the list, I also do the calendar trick that Kelsey (author of the the article above) talks about. I put the items with due dates on the calendar and items I need to complete soon but don't have due dates on my calendar so I've actually scheduled time to do them.

Does all this work?

Well, I am getting the necessary things done. But I do wish for an evening I can spend colouring now and then. Unfortunately to get the necessary things done, I need to keep working on them every evening.

Machka in Oz

The problem in the past few months is that I've been adding so many new things to the first two sections (items with due dates and items that need to be completed soon) and thus I've not been able to get to anything in the middle "rooms" section.

Machka in Oz