WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2022

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Worked today. Tomorrow I’m going to TRY to get to the gym and do a body pump DVD.

Later today I have an appt with a physicians assistant for the pain in my leg. More and more I’m convinced it’s sciatica. The pain starts in my backside and radiates down the leg. I’ve been using the voltaran. It just gets me from excruciating pain to pain. I know when I had sciatica on the other side I was convinced I needed hip replacement, but the MD just prescribed prednisone for me and inside of 3 days I was getting relief. Hopefully, this PA will do the same. Next I would probably try Aleve, but I think this is probably the faster route.

Beth – how wonderful you’re progressing so much. Sorry to hear about your mother.

Today Jerry got some sort of pin from BK. I think he needs something like that. See, I don’t need so much a visual but I think he does. I just said to him “that’s wonderful. See, all your hard work has paid off”. He did refer to me when I took him home today as his friend. He told me how he tries to help out his friends.

FINALLY replaced my windshield yesterday. Fortunately, it rained today so I could easily tell if it was leaking or not.

Stopped at Food Lion yesterday on my way home from work. Got Vince gatorade and they had cabbage on sale for 59 cents/pound so I got 2 heads. I’ll probably make some soup with at least one head, I’m going to try to look for ideas for the other head. Also got Easter cards at the dollar store for Jess and Denise. Got one down in FL for PJ, cost me all of 12 cents. Like he’s going to know! If you buy 2 things of Gatorade, you get $2 off. So even tho FL is usually more expensive, with the $2 off it's worth it

Allie – none of my kids had colic, but I’ve always heard that if you put a colicky baby in a car and drive around the block, that puts it to sleep. Loved KJ’s hints. Never thought of the washer, but that makes sense.

Tracey – I hope you get the pictures. Pictures mean so much

M – that apple pie loos just delish. I can just taste it here

Lucy – welcome! You don’t HAVE to give your location, it’s just that if we have a few people with the same name, it helps to keep people straight. But I don’t think we have another Lucy so you’re OK.

Nanacutler – Love the elk. What a wonderful thing to see in the morning

Julie – yea for negative tests!

I’m someone who likes to clean things out and if I don’t use them or haven’t used them in a while, I’d donate or somehow get rid of it. Now Vince – he saves just about anything “in case”

When Covid hit, I cleaned EVERYTHING. I even cleaned the top of my freezer!!! Much to Vince’s dismay, I pulled everything out of the closets and went thru so much. I had so much to recycle, that I had to take it to the recycling place, too much for our recycling bin!

Rori – good to hear from you. You get to see a lot of interesting plays. So happy for you

pip and katla – you are both in my thoughts

Michele NC
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options
    B)
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Nanacutler, Doberdane! I just knew Maisie HAD to have Dane in her! We had a Great Dane grandpup years ago. What a sweetiepie! Omgosh. They think they're freakin' lapdogs. Puppy is right. Gauge was a gorgeous Harlequin. Maisie looks to be a Merle Dane. Her coloring is beautiful. Ava looks to be taking everything is stride and taking her rightful place on the couch! And the elk are amazing... woah! We have deer, but nothing that massive!

THANKS Auntiebk! Don't think that will ever happen, but we're glad to be rid of him, so that's the plus side of it! lol

Carla, in MN
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Heather--Glad you had some one on one time with Edie. Children ask some interesting questions. I think both your grandchildren and DH are Blessings for each other.

Rori--Sounds like your job is so much fun. So happy for you.

Pip, Michele, and Katla--Sending prayers for all your appointments today.

Allie--sorry to hear about your taxes. We had to pay in also, but not even close to that. Just glad that it is done for another year. And next year should be better as I am not working all that overtime and DH has cut his hours due to his health.

Rita--Sending hugs and prayers.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yay Pip!

I did 8 mins elliptical, 6 mins marching, and 58 mins of yoga. Yay!

Annie in Delaware
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Kelly-I love the idea of a zen garden, but I don't like the idea of sand being tracked into the house. Maybe there is a compromise, but I do kind of like that idea of "digging" in and raking the sand while we're out there.

Barbara-The community college idea is good. I'll look into that. Maybe they can design it too. That's where we are getting hung up, as well as the overwhelming selection of tile and stone types, sizes, colors, etc.

Pip-Hope it's all good news today.

Heather-Sorry to hear about your brother.

Beth-Hope your mom is on the mend.

Katla-I hope your DH is getting the help he needs.

Machka-I like how you just went for it on the garden. I'm sure it's a wonderful place to hang out and destress.

Annie-Way to go on your exercises!

Karen in VA-Hugs to you. That's a lot of "stuff."

Had a lovely time having coffee with a friend today. Now...back to work.

Tina in CA
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

We’re visiting the clinic today for DH. Our daughter also wants to discuss me. 😕

I'm so thankful. I've been worried about you. We all care about you so much!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Good news, will type later

Hooray!!!!!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    nanacutler wrote: »
    The dry stream I'm putting together in the front yard could have a zen element to it. :)
    Machka in Oz

What is a dry stream?[/quote]

It's a "riverbed" with no water. See image.
    9ab8716gmsp9.jpeg
  • Janene5
    Janene5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Nanacutler, Doberdane! I just knew Maisie HAD to have Dane in her! We had a Great Dane grandpup years ago. What a sweetiepie! Omgosh. They think they're freakin' lapdogs. Puppy is right. Gauge was a gorgeous Harlequin. Maisie looks to be a Merle Dane. Her coloring is beautiful. Ava looks to be taking everything is stride and taking her rightful place on the couch! And the elk are amazing... woah! We have deer, but nothing that massive!

I have a trial trying to get her to not bark at customers this past month. when she turned 6 month she all of a sudden felt that she needed to bark to let me know that I was talking to someone lol But today she has listened perfectly. She walks up to greet but then goes beck to her bed. I'm so proud of her!
  • Janene5
    Options
    A funny I saw today.😂
    pxpie38rnwc7.jpg
    My soup today. I have about 2 bowls leftover for later this week.
    w768lkdcootf.jpg
    Going to sip on more broth, and then take a nap. I'm beat.
    Rebecca

Oh my gosh that looks great! I Love the cast iron. That's all i cook in! I have some stainless pots for boing water for pasta but that's it. Hope you feel better soon, and what a great idea to freez portions of store bought rotisserie chicken.
  • Janene5
    Options
    Carol, I know exactly how you feel about the decluttering, but I finally realized I am spending way too much energy dreading it, and not nearly enough energy actually making headway.

I have ordered a book entitled, "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and Your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter". I remember someone on this thread mentioning it. It should arrive today. I am determined not to leave this stuff to my family, but I have to admit it is really hard to let go of things.

When I am in my best frame of mind, I can look around any given room and pick out the very few things I would actually want to keep when we downsize. There are things I love, but it doesn't mean I actually want to keep them. As my mother would say, I've already had and enjoyed those things. I don't need them any more.

When I was emptying our "other house" (sold in December after blood, sweat, & tears), I was paralyzed by my mom's Singer sewing table, an unusually beautiful walnut piece of furniture that my mother spent many hours at. After some tears and a couple of days of mulling, I put it on a community-based freecycle page with an explanation of how dear it was to me. I got the most thoughtful responses, and one young woman who had just lost her grandmother and inherited her sewing machine captured my heart. Instead of sadness, I was happy to see that piece of my heart go to the young woman who was going to learn to sew in tribute to her grandmother. She sent me pictures of the machine installed in the beautiful cabinet & all set up with her little chair. I do not regret for one minute letting it go.

I am hoping that, and other, experiences I have already had will help me get on with this house, the one we actually live in.

Observation: once I get rid of something, it's gone, and I never have to deal with it again.

Barbara,
    Brother saga: 6 months ago my younger brother got COVID pneumonia despite being fully vaccinated. He became hypoxic and fell 4 times, breaking his foot and ankle. It turned out that there was inadequate night supervision in the group home where he was living, so my depressed, confused, sick, injured brother had to get his brain together enough to call 911 himself. I still feel so bad about it. Anyway, surgery on his foot was delayed for weeks due to COVID protocols, and then the home where he was living did not accommodate his post-surgical needs to comply with the doctor's orders as they promised they would. He was required by the owner of the group home to bear weight; it didn't heal, and became infected; the surgeon then had to take him back to the OR, remove all the hardware, clean out the infection, and put new hardware in. Since then, weeks and weeks of antibiotics and non-weight-bearing and rehab, and finally the decision to move him to a different home that could accommodate him. It has all paid off; not only did he avoid the amputation that was being discussed, the foot is pain free and showing evidence of good healing. He has to go back one more time after being off antibiotics to be sure there are no bacteria sequestered away in the nooks and crannies of the hardware.

Pip, I hope you & Kirby are getting through today OK.

Edited to add: Just read Pip's latest post! Yay!Yay!Yay!. B):)B)

Update: The trip to the museum was a success. We saw a visiting Tsherin Sherpa exhibit for a second time, and also looked at African masks, Tiffany lamps, Lakota Sioux items, and some John Singer Sargent paintings. We had lunch in the museum cafe, and walked around the gift shop. They had 4 pieces of glass art by Dale Chihuly for sale! Pricey. :D Next month we will go back to see the Whistler to Cassatt exhibit. This is what makes my brother happy. Here are examples of my brother's current art renderings:
    stc78kzbobtg.jpeg

pp3d5lzxzg8d.jpeg

1pyjfl6xdldv.jpeg

Karen in Virginia

I am an only child and have inherited everything from my mother and grandmother. Things I never use but feel a guilty attachment to. I liove and use most on the antique furniture but have started letting go of some to my children. but small items they don't want.... I just can't seem to start.