What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Well I got it done.. My week of working out is officially over. One week of one 10k per day in the books. Just about 43.5 miles of runs. Finished the weeks last with improved time, but not close to PB. However one thing I was wanting to do today was improve my cadence. During the week I went as low as 159 and seemed I couldn’t get over 165. I hit 170 today…. There are other personal reasons I wanted to see this through and I’m glad I did. Happy Mother’s Day to all folks….

adetqijgdv22.jpeg
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    Day 6 of my attempt to get a 10k a day from Monday-Sunday. It was rough. Windy on the longest part of the run which is back to the house. Bad nights sleep plus pushing a washer and dryer around to install a new vent hose just before the jog didn’t help. Got it done and times were not bad vs what I’ve been logging on these weeks runs. Let’s see if I can get Sundays done early since it’s mamas day.

yh33g8pkf08v.jpeg

That is some big run volume, as in marathon training big. 6 x7=42mpw - Nice. If I tried that right now, my IT bands and hamstrings would stage a revolt, lol.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    With yesterday being Mother's Day, my wife invited company (some good friends) and I skipped the normal cardio and worked on our rock wall garden again for around 2 1/2 hours. With making dinner -- I'm the cook at home -- and having to help clean the house, that's all I did. It was a pretty solid workout but I was on my feet nearly all day long so the rowing on top of that would have been too much.

Today is just easy cardio for 55 minutes to an hour. I'll likely just do super easy rowing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Supposed to be a run day, but the weather isn't cooperating so I'm going to Zwift this evening when I get home. Winds are gusting at 40 MPH with sand storms, so I'm not running in that.
  • mrmota70
    Since I wanted to complete my one 10k a day week I bypassed my usual easy Sunday 30 minute WO yesterday. I moved that to today and just did an easy paced 5k run around the neighborhood. It was already 91 degree so it was good enough to get me a decent WO. I managed a 168 SPM Avg. Cadence so happy with that as well. May do some yard work, but will wait until later into the evening.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Hit the elliptical early this morning for ~55min., 3 miles. Not as fast as the other day, but I'll take it. Followed this with some mild strength training. Then, after a snack, my silly self decided that the floor needed cleaning (the dreaded scrubbing of the grout!). I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow. :D

(You know I really didn't want to do my work-at-home stuff when I'd rather scrub floor tile and grout. Haha...)

• Djproulx
    Since I wanted to complete my one 10k a day week I bypassed my usual easy Sunday 30 minute WO yesterday. I moved that to today and just did an easy paced 5k run around the neighborhood. It was already 91 degree so it was good enough to get me a decent WO. I managed a 168 SPM Avg. Cadence so happy with that as well. May do some yard work, but will wait until later into the evening.

How do you measure foot strike cadence? Reading your device during workout or seeing post run report? Or do you use a metronome app to sync your steps?

One coach had me use a metronome app on my phone. It naturally leads you to stay in sync with the beats. The goal was to learn to be more efficient during runs by falling into a regular cadence that eventually trained me to run slightly faster with no increase in perceived effort.
  • mrmota70
    Djproulx wrote: »

How do you measure foot strike cadence? Reading your device during workout or seeing post run report? Or do you use a metronome app to sync your steps?

One coach had me use a metronome app on my phone. It naturally leads you to stay in sync with the beats. The goal was to learn to be more efficient during runs by falling into a regular cadence that eventually trained me to run slightly faster with no increase in perceived effort.

I leave it up to the Apple Watch. It actually does a decent job. You can actually watch it real time however I concentrate on the run to not stare at the watch when traffic, people with dogs or folks backing out of their garage is my priority. Quoting your quote “The goal was to learn to be more efficient during runs by falling into a regular cadence that eventually trained me to run slightly faster with no increase in perceived effort” that is what I’m working on now and yeah can tell the difference.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Rowing machining, the usual 3 x (2k on, 2' off/CD), 2:28.3 pace at 20 spm, 107W average on the 2k pieces; 35:40 for 7662m overall including the off/CD rowing. Easy/moderate effort, 7'-ish Z4, mostly Z3, about 6' below.

On the brighter side, we're forecast for nights above 50F all this week, so the river water should start warming up more, finally. I hope to be on the water regularly, soon. Usually rain and wind are more interruptious in the Spring, then our schedule settles down as full Summer comes on.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    On Sunday and Monday, I had a training course on outdoor sports climbing. It was brilliant fun; very laid back when compared to gym bouldering.

I eventually worked my way up to 6A, which isn't particularly good. But it was my first attempt at this thing, and it also wasn't bad. The instructor reckoned I was probably at 7A standard with a bit more outdoor practice, which is in line with my bouldering standard..
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx wrote: »

I leave it up to the Apple Watch. It actually does a decent job. You can actually watch it real time however I concentrate on the run to not stare at the watch when traffic, people with dogs or folks backing out of their garage is my priority. Quoting your quote “The goal was to learn to be more efficient during runs by falling into a regular cadence that eventually trained me to run slightly faster with no increase in perceived effort” that is what I’m working on now and yeah can tell the difference.

Gotcha, makes sense.

My natural cadence is 180SPM(Its no surprise that my preferred cycling cadence is 90rpm).
    The audible "tick, tock" of the metronome was enjoyable for me to follow. I didn't think about it at all, I just let the "tick, tock" dictate pace. I then focused on my stride, which simply means making sure to take good strides. Over time my stride length increased slightly at the same SPM. That is where improvement came for me.

I really miss that type of run training, but I need to wait until after tri season before resuming speed work or other cadence related stuff. The risk of injury is too high if I rush that process. Hoping that I"m healthy enough to shift into a run focus in the fall, since there are a bunch of fun half marathons around at that time of year.
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    edited May 2022
    Two hours, working in the garden. Sunny; perfect temperature.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Had my first lap swim on Saturday...I have some work to do there.

Lunch Break:
    8x1 Power Snatch
    8x3 Power Clean Thrusters
    4x4 Behind the Neck Snatch Grip Push Press
    4x10 Front Squat
    4x15 Russian Twist
    4x8 Scissor Crossover Kick

Evening:
    Easy 20K ride
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Another real-world road/paved-trail bike ride, absurdly easy pace (only 2:22 even Z3, mostly about half/half Z1/Z2, this time with the chest belt). Just a hair under 13 miles, mere 10.2 mph moving average. We've gone from cold to hot (for here): It got over 80F today, I believe, and humid.

Still lots of Spring Beauty along the trail, but the Trout Lilies have shriveled; in compensation, there were big patches of Trillium in bloom.
  • Djproulx
    Strength session with trainer this am. Some balance work with weights, plus some combo core and leg stuff.

Tonight a small group of us rode scenic wooded section by two different trout streams. Pace was mostly social, but included one nice long grinding climb of about 2.5-3miles. This climbing route was requested by two of the women who are strong runners, now building their cycling fitness for a first triathlon.

I LOVE this climb, since the return trip is a gradual winding downhill on a well paved road with no traffic. Last time I measured it, two of us did the return 5 mile segment in 11 minutes, or just under a 30mph average. Its a scream on a bike!