WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,330 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Machka - Shake the Sugar talks about eliminating added sugars, not sugar in fruits and veggies. Sugar added to processed foods, candy, cakes, ice cream = my favorites. I don't eat them if they aren't in the house. I'm not sure how they get put into my shopping cart from time to time, but I wish they would stop, lol.

Lisa - I think WW finally made their peace with "drink to thirst". I generally don't get thirsty unless I've eaten something salty like pizza. And I probably get 8 cups of water in with coffee and tea alone. I just watched Dr. Matt's presentation on it this morning, and he said something interesting. Do we want to be raisins or grapes, meaning do we want to add more liquid to our diets to help our systems run smoother. I've heard folks who drink a lot of water have good complexions. Mine could use some help in the wrinkle department. :p

He mentioned drinking a glass of water when a person first gets up. I too can't take water very well on an "empty stomach." I suppose if I was constipated I'd look at that as a possible solution. Isn't that why God made coffee though? :D

I agree a person can drink too much water and deplete electrolytes and put a burden on their systems. Some folks haul big jugs of water around all day and chug a lug because they are convinced they need to meet some specific goal that might not be best for them.

My goal isn't to chug down an additional 8 glasses of water (my well water tastes great) just like there was no way I could eat 30 gm of protein for breakfast.

But I'll be curious to see if there's any benefit to me even drinking, let's say, 3 or 4 cups of just plain tap water throughout the day in addition to tea and coffee. Maybe cut coffee back a little, I tend to go overboard. I just have to remind myself to do it.

I rarely have darker yellow pee unless I've taken B vitamins, otherwise it appears I'm getting enough.

And regarding eating sugar after supper .... I have noticed when I eat something sugary before bed, like a dish of ice cream, or some cookies, I usually don't have to get up and pee a few times during the night!

If I eat something like cheese and nuts or a food without a lot of added sugar, then it's a night time marathon even though I restrict liquids a couple hours before bed! Maddening.

Head scratcher - does any have clues as to why this might be happening? Maybe that's why I steer back into sugar territory after supper after doing really well during the day.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Hmm. I've never had a bone density scan, might be time for that. But if the only result would be to take a med that makes things worse, then perhaps not. Nothing is ever simple anymore.

I usually respond with a direct smile and "fine. How are you?" I have enough anxiety about social encounters without deviating from the script.

This weekend I am going to the Kennedy Center in DC for dinner and a show called Shear Madness. Yay! Then staying overnight with my friend who had the stroke. He seems to be really excited about me coming, otherwise I might use a hotel. I'm not sure how his wife feels I am starting to get my pre-event jitters.

Meanwhile nothing special today. I am reading a Louise Penny book to study how to make the forest setting play a bigger part in my novel. And I have a few phone calls to make, to set up appointments.

Have a great day!

Annie in Delaware
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,733 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Belated happy Thanksgiving Day to Tracey, Evelyn and all other Canadiennes whose names have slipped my memory. ;}

You’re not late. It is today.

Thank you to you and @Machka9
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving Day, Tracey!

Heather, Congrats on getting the taxes done! Always a relief.

Hugs to Beth and anyone else who needs them.

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,202 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    So sorry, Rebecca. <3

Zoom went well, but it completely threw off my no alcohol vow. :# My difficult friend always triggers me (reminds me of my mum) and I need relief!
    All good. DH and I had a good discussion about triggers , which was very enlightening. I hadn't realised I triggered him the other day and I think his DS needs to hear why he couldn't go to the funeral of his aunt. We are such complicated creatures. <3 I love his growing awareness of what sets him off and his desire to rise above it. We both are able to make allowances for our respective wounds. Apart from his adoption and difficult childhood with a mentally ill mother and a distant father, the trauma of his beloved partner's death from cancer is still with him. So grateful that he can talk about it to me. He is very respectful of my childhood wounds and need to be in control, but he sometimes forgets about my stillbirth trauma.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I am crossing my fingers for DH. I am hoping he will be able to join me here. His health is improving. The sooner he is able to get here, the better for both of us. 🤞🏻 🤞🏻
  • 7823star
    7823star Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What does "DH" stand for?
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - give yourself grace, too, for the ongoing stress of your youngest son's lack of communication. Your gut is feeling that. I know what I would do if it were me (or at least what I think I would do) but my advice is not worth a plugged nickel because I didn't raise a child - I got mine at 15 and 17, which is a whole different dynamic. I would simply stop trying to communicate at all. Not to be mean, but to preserve my own sanity. Again - NOT advice, I admire and respect your strength in continuing to try to mother him. What does Lee say about all this?

Happy Thanksgiving to our beautiful Canadians, I hope you were able to have the day off...

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    7823star wrote: »

DH ... It's generally meant to be shorthand for "Dear Husband." But if the context of the post proves otherwise, it can stand for "@#%@" Husband as well! :D

Beth
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,049 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Interesting talk about what causes pancreatitis in dogs...

It is the cooked fat that is the problem. Dry dog food is cooked at very high heat and it makes the fat in the dog food bad for the dogs. If fat is raw it is good for the dog. The urge is to put the dog on a low fat diet. They need to be put on a good fat diet. Dogs needs good fats like we do. So omega 3 fats that are found in grass fed hamburger, fish, flax seeds if they are ground, olive oil, and coconut oil are all good sources and need to be continued even if the dog has pancreatitis. The key is to get them off over cooked dog food. The high amount of starch that is in manufactured dog food also can contribute to this problem.

She also said something interesting about frustration can lead to pancreatitis in dogs who are bred to have a job like border collies if they are not given enough exercise and tasks to do it may lead to problems for them.

It makes me think about my own health and what kind of fats I eat good and bad. I also think about my frustration levels and what I can do to lower them. For humans I think we could also add worry. I have a friend who admits she worries too much, and she has gut issues.

So even though I am listening to the program to improve DrewB health I do think it is getting me to address some of my own bad habits. Today instead of having some ice cream I cooked some blueberries then added unsweetened coconut and some cashews on top.

I am also going to throw out our deep fat fryer that we have maybe used three times in the past twenty years and I have no intention of ever using it again.

I am going to look into using our convection oven to make dehydrated snacks for Drew so in the winter I can play find the treats with her when we can't get outside when it is more than 10 below outside.

I eventually want to get her off dental bones too. If you read the label they are made of some kind of starch. Not the best for teeth and/or her health.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,537 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk/slow jog w/yogi- 1hr 24min 15sec, 71elev, 4.30ap, 122ahr, 159mhr, 6.06mi= 617c
    Strava app = 742c
    Walk home to gym-12.23min, .55mi= 60c
    Strava app = 67c
    Treadmill jog- 20.33min, 5.5-7.5sp, 10.17min mi, 136ahr, 168mhr, 2mi= 236c
    Walk gym to home- 12.30min, .56mi= 71c
    Strava app = 69c

Total cal 984
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,537 Member
    Options
    7823star wrote: »

I always used to wonder that myself, I just gave up and never asked
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    I did some yoga and my marching video! Yay! I really slacked off on my exercise for awhile there. I don't really know why. But I am back on the wagon today.

Annie in Delaware
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    I wish MFP would let us define our own streaks instead of just the login streak. It would be cool if my signature showed how many weeks I had done five hours of exercise, and how many weeks I had eaten a proper amount of calories six days a week. But I don't actually want to pay for these features 😊

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,202 Member
    Options
    lr8fr7ybahu2.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Barbara – your trip sounds heavenly. I totally forgot about Canadian thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving everyone who celebrates. And you can always send me your leftovers...lol They MIGHT last until our Thanksgiving….lol

Rebecca – I remember reading a book when the kids were teenagers called “Get Out of my Life but First Would You Drive me and Cheryl to the Mall”. Anyway, in the book they said that the more a kid pulls away, the more they come back. I’ve found this to be very true. Maybe you need to give your son some time. I know how much it hurts you, tho

barbie – happy birthday to Jake

Vince has always wanted to go to the night race at Bristol (NASCAR). So I was thinking of giving him an early Father’s Day gift and take him. It’s been on his bucket list for years. Well, I just found out that the race was run Sept. 17. So looks like he’ll be going next year.

Lanette – I don’t think I would be able to drink a glass of water first thing in the morning. However, what I many times do is have a bran muffin or something like that and it causes me to drink.

Anne DE – have fun at the show. This weekend we’re going to the Green Room to see “Midnight and Magnolias”. Never heard of it, but I understand it’s a comedy. They were scheduled to have “All the King’s Men” but evidentally, they couldn’t find enough of the right kinds of actors.

Went off the plan today. They were celebrating the Oct. birthdays at bowling and I had some cake, a few nuts (they weren’t very good), chips and salsa, a cookie, cheese, tomatoes and carrots. Well, I had some good choices in there…..

Ceramics tonight. Hopefully, I can get Jess’ snail done and fired before we go to see her next weekend Not sure that I will but I will certainly try.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :) I drink water, no tea or coffee or pop or alcohol. Eight ounces is part of my Isagenix shake for breakfast and 16 ounces is flavored with raspberry Emergen-C. It feels like just the right amount. I eat a low sodium diet (right around 1600 mg)

:) Today was the start of the neighborhood yard waste clean up so we were able to take all our yard waste free to a drop off pile three blocks away

:) Next jobs (besides the fence) area sweeping the garage (Jake's) and sitting the compost in the older bin (mine) and a nap

<3 Barbie in NW WA