• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    This week, why we should drink water - 1/3 of our body weight in ounces. For me, 55 oz. I haven't been doing that. I remember when WW pushed 8 glasses of water, then they changed their minds to state "8 glasses (64 oz I guess) of any liquid - coffee, tea, etc." Which contain caffeine and are diuretics = um, no!
    Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Dang it Lanette - I hate to poke this particular bubble, but it really is something I've heard for decades and it's a myth. Everyone needs to deal with coffee or tea and/or lack of same in their own way. However, if coffee and tea weren't recognized by my body as liquid due to their recognized diuretic action, I would be long dead. For 15 years straight, they were the only kind of liquid my newly surgerized gut could handle (the gastric bypass was Sept. 2005).

Straight water, which I actually loved drinking pre-surgery, hit my stomach like a fist to the gut. I could and did drink water in a pinch, but it was painful at best and at worst would double me over. For whatever reason, adulterated water is less painful. Someone once told me it had to do with the specific gravity of water, but I could never find research to back that up. I can tell you I've read a ton of research that says your body adjusts to your caffeine intake to the point that coffee and/or tea have only the diuretic action that any liquid has.

All that said, the only reason I am bringing it up is that there is such a thing as too much liquid intake, which they're finally beginning to realize, especially for runners like Pip and Heather's son and daughter-in-law. It's called hyponatremia. Doesn't affect most of us, in all honesty, but ignoring coffee/tea as liquids isn't actually necessary. More and more research also says that you should drink liquids when you're thirsty, and skip the pressure to imbibe a specific amount. Very respected sources are very clear about it.

ETA: The reason that my inability to drink straight water for 15 of the last 17 years instead of all of them is because one of the weirder silver linings of my recent medical issues has been that I can finally drink water again without pain. I am so stinking grateful for that! My daughter made me start sipping water when she was here nursing me through the worst of it a couple years back... I couldn't drink coffee or tea either, and she was afraid I was going to die, so nagged me into drinking water one sip at a time. Worked, too.

Down off my little soapbox...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Agreed on the hyponatremia ... as a long distance cyclist, I was nearly hospitalised with it once. I was so sick. Fortunately my nurse mother was able to take care of me and that was the only reason I didn't go to the hospital.

I also realised (too late) what was happening and knew some tricks to recover but was too sick to help myself.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - Shake the Sugar talks about eliminating added sugars, not sugar in fruits and veggies. Sugar added to processed foods, candy, cakes, ice cream = my favorites. I don't eat them if they aren't in the house. I'm not sure how they get put into my shopping cart from time to time, but I wish they would stop, lol.

Lisa - I think WW finally made their peace with "drink to thirst". I generally don't get thirsty unless I've eaten something salty like pizza. And I probably get 8 cups of water in with coffee and tea alone. I just watched Dr. Matt's presentation on it this morning, and he said something interesting. Do we want to be raisins or grapes, meaning do we want to add more liquid to our diets to help our systems run smoother. I've heard folks who drink a lot of water have good complexions. Mine could use some help in the wrinkle department. :p

He mentioned drinking a glass of water when a person first gets up. I too can't take water very well on an "empty stomach." I suppose if I was constipated I'd look at that as a possible solution. Isn't that why God made coffee though? :D

I agree a person can drink too much water and deplete electrolytes and put a burden on their systems. Some folks haul big jugs of water around all day and chug a lug because they are convinced they need to meet some specific goal that might not be best for them.

My goal isn't to chug down an additional 8 glasses of water (my well water tastes great) just like there was no way I could eat 30 gm of protein for breakfast.

But I'll be curious to see if there's any benefit to me even drinking, let's say, 3 or 4 cups of just plain tap water throughout the day in addition to tea and coffee. Maybe cut coffee back a little, I tend to go overboard. I just have to remind myself to do it.

I rarely have darker yellow pee unless I've taken B vitamins, otherwise it appears I'm getting enough.

And regarding eating sugar after supper .... I have noticed when I eat something sugary before bed, like a dish of ice cream, or some cookies, I usually don't have to get up and pee a few times during the night!

If I eat something like cheese and nuts or a food without a lot of added sugar, then it's a night time marathon even though I restrict liquids a couple hours before bed! Maddening.

Head scratcher - does any have clues as to why this might be happening? Maybe that's why I steer back into sugar territory after supper after doing really well during the day.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Yes I do have an idea why that's happening but I will leave you in suspense till later when I can actually type.

As for sugar, the only extra sugar I eat is dessert after dinner. We were having 2 desserts, but I have cut back to 1.
  • Machka9
    Options
    One step backwards in my gut journey.😢. My solid food too soon. So a day of broth in the afternoon, maybe a protein drink. Stepped up my water, as I had slacked off this past weekend. Not happy.
    Rebecca
    Wa

Include a piece or two of fresh raw fruit in there. And ask your doctor about fibre.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Not much to add
    I go through 4- 6 16 oz bottles of water a day ,more in the summer..
    Honestly I think Miles had allergies he has his 9 month check up on the 2nd of November. And Tracy is going to ask about his constipation problems and he constantly rubs his eyes and nose ,they have 2 cats and a dog and the dog sheds like crazy..
    Kyle got Tracy an early Christmas gift a Dyson stick vacuum,here is hoping that helps..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,536 Member
    Options
    Pp
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Karen-you should feel contented! That is a tremendous project you have worked through. My house is much closer to what I want it to be. I will admit-I don't think I had nearly as much stuff as you did-but I had way too much useless junk. My goal is completion prior to move next year. I can't do much right now due to surgery-but I can maintain what I have (which will be tremendous progress).

Tina-hope your approach helps you knee. I always prefer trying alternatives prior to jumping to surgery.

I think the water amounts are right up there with when are eggs good or bad for you? It seems like "they" keep changing their minds. I agree-listen to your body and try to moderate in all things.

On the medical front:
    Doctor's office called today about my paperwork to be off work (I've been off since last Weds!). She asked me if he told me how long he wanted me off. Uhm, not really-he started with the standard 4-6 weeks. I had asked him, since I have a non-physical job, if I could start working from home. He said that might not be a bad idea. Long story short-she is writing paperwork permitting to work from home on a part-time basis as tolerated-and I will see about updated statement/release when I see him on 20th. Biggest problem is not being able to sit upright for 8 hours yet. She told me that would definitely not be a good idea. And this is why I have spent much of my career getting clarifications from doctor's offices!

Asked neighbor if he could take trash out for me tomorrow-he said of course. Believe I have dental appointment on Wednesday that I rescheduled before surgery. Will call them tomorrow to confirm. Driving there should not be a problem. Will make sure not to take any pain medicine prior-but Tylenol should do the job.

Well, I've been sitting for a bit. Going in to lie down and read and watch tv.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

If it were me, I'd take the 6 weeks! But I would just really like time off.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    Walked the wetlands for 80 min. (12,000) while waiting for Ezie. The weather was perfect. A bit chilly at the start but took my jacket off half way through.
    Zumba in a few minutes- another 60 min. there.
    Need to figure out dinner when I get home. Only ate 350cal so far today( a huge salad) so will eat a bit bigger than usual. No left overs so not sure what I am going to have. Maybe some soup or make quick nachos with Colby cheese and jalapenos.
    My friend that started me on Zumba is going to go with me tonight. She had been going to a gym so hasn't gone with me in a year and a half or so . Will be nice.
    Had my Perrier Energy drink so should be able to get me through the class but hopefully burn off it so I can sleep tonight.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara — DH & I are currently in Illinois, near our daughter. DH has been having health challenges, and is currently in a care facility. Our daughter has been wonderful and helpful by finding a good place for Dad, and taking me to visit him.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - give yourself grace, too, for the ongoing stress of your youngest son's lack of communication. Your gut is feeling that. I know what I would do if it were me (or at least what I think I would do) but my advice is not worth a plugged nickel because I didn't raise a child - I got mine at 15 and 17, which is a whole different dynamic. I would simply stop trying to communicate at all. Not to be mean, but to preserve my own sanity. Again - NOT advice, I admire and respect your strength in continuing to try to mother him. What does Lee say about all this?

Happy Thanksgiving to our beautiful Canadians, I hope you were able to have the day off...

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

Feeling better, empty but better. I have "distanced" myself a bit, and don't cry myself up into a frenzy anymore. Maybe going thru the grief with my sister, I just know he loves us, and the other two are very communicative with us, so that's good. Lee is sad and confused along with me, though he rolls his eyes at my Chaplain outreach situation. He says the Chaplain is for the crew and immediate family, not mommas.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,536 Member
    Options
    Aa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ❤️
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Machka - Shake the Sugar talks about eliminating added sugars, not sugar in fruits and veggies. Sugar added to processed foods, candy, cakes, ice cream = my favorites. I don't eat them if they aren't in the house. I'm not sure how they get put into my shopping cart from time to time, but I wish they would stop, lol.

Pretty much what I eat up till about 7 pm just about every day. :) After 7, it's a bit of a different story. :blush:

Oh, and not necessarily the pad thai every day. That can vary a bit. Today's dinner was veggies, as usual, with one veggie burger (no bun).

And often the snacks include fruit.

ff3m1yfyv0nu.png

M in Oz