Replies

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 678 Member
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,656 Member
    Karen - Beautiful photo of all the girls! :D

I'm waiting for DH to come back from his walk, so that I can have a nap with ear plugs in. We are expecting a beer delivery, so I can't be oblivious to the world.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,169 Member
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 642 Member
    Good for you, LISA! You go straight to the top!

Totally agree with you on using treasured items, Tracey! What's the use of having them if you can't enjoy them. We kept our wedding china boxed up for years until a friend saw and exclaimed that it was too beautiful not to use. Now it's our everyday platewear. We love it.

To each his own, Heather. You go for it. Can't stand haggis and I have tried it. Don't know what black pudding is, but ewe??? Just the name?

There's that SMILE! Thanks Allie!

7 Slow down and savor one meal today...
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,702 Member
    Katla I keep meaning to comment on how glad I am that you and DH are in the same building, spending time together is so important.

I looked at the yorkshire pudding recipe and it seems similar to pop overs. My mom would make pop overs for christmas breakfast when I was a kid.... I don't remember liking them too much, but that would have been 40+ years ago..my tastes have changed.

Smiles Kim
    N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Kim — You are right, Spending time together is important. Yesterday DH watched Gun Smoke. He loves it, and I watched with him. When he went to bed I came to my room and watched reality shows set in Alaska. I enjoy them. 😊
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,042 Member
    Heather- sheesh I hope things settle down a bit for your sons family.. it sounds so busy busy.e0e94d4dh4tt.jpg
    This is the present situation, Miles is sleeping resting up before the party... mom and dad down at the place setting up now...and im watching little boy . Carmine still sleeping.. he needs to get a move on..
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,257 Member
    Machka I don't walk outside partly because the sidewalks are not flat so it stresses my knee and partly just because I prefer indoors. I thought I was beyond using the knee brace, but maybe not. It doesn't hurt very often anymore, but I wish I could get it stronger. Sounds like a job for PT!

I got my laundry started and that was my big chore for the day. Then dumbbells tonight.

Allie Happy birthday to Smiley Miles! Hope the drama is minimal.

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,174 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    My lower backside on the right is bothering me. This happened before and it was my sciatic nerve being inflamed. The MD gave me prednisone and it went away. This feels EXACTLY the same. Only the MD office is only open from 8 to 10:30 tomorrow. I'm trying using a heating pad. If I can make it to Mon I'll go and explain that I'm 99.99999% sure it's sciatic.

Michele NC

Have you tried the stretches they recommend for that. The one that helps me the most is to , while standing, cross your feet and slowly bend over as far as you can then switch feet and do it again. I usually do it in the shower to really loosen it up.
    Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Need to get dressed and go to the Mexican grocery store before the next storm hits(will wear my rain boots, just in case)
    They have the small avocados for 3/$1. I will get extra and put them in the fridge so they ripen slowly. Love the small ones- great portion control.
    I will also get a papaya. Not my favorite fruit but have had some good ones from there. Tasty and low in calories compared to most fruit. .79cents a pound. I will check out the other produce. If they have celery at a decent price, I will get one so I can make cashew chicken this week- everyone loves it which is a nice change.
    I am sure we will do some other shopping while we are out and on that side of town. Most likely Grocery Outlet(we have two in town), just because we are close to it.

DH has already been to his mom's- his alarm went off at 7 for him to be there at 9. He takes so long to get ready. I was not ready to wake up when it went off but did doze back off and on until he left at 8:45
    One of these days he will tell her he will be there later on his days off. He has FINALLY started walking the dog over there. Only took over 7 months. Just to the corner but better than he was doing.

Daycare girl goes back to school Monday after being off three weeks. I am looking forward to it. Will start walking the wetlands on days it isn't raining. Not walking Monday- huge storm hitting with expected 2 1/2 " of rain that day, along with rain today, tomorrow,etc through the 19th. Not sure how muddy the path will be over there. Haven't walked it except one time since my fall which was Thanksgiving week. Will start slow and see how it feels- won't do my 1 1/2 hrs the first day back.

Ok, done reading and tea is cold- time to get moving
    Have a wonderful day ladies

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Allie- I remember when you were posting that your daughter was trying to get pregnant and now Miles is already a year old- Time has flown by
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,702 Member
    B)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,615 Member
    It's Saturday ladies!

Rosemarie - The thing I like about my cleaner is that at least once every two weeks, I pick up dog toys strewn all over the house, shoes, really make the bed, clean off counters and coffee table and end table, really straighten up the house so she can clean without moving things around. So the house looks presentable for a day or two, lol.

I thought about your walk you were able to take, wanted to reach through the screen here and pat you on the back. <3. Walks, even short ones, are often the best medicine! Fresh air, seeing new sights. My walks with the neighbor really helped me as my DH grew more frail.

Barbie - I finally finished The Bullit that Missed. It was delicious, if a book can be, lol. I didn't want to skip over a single word or sentence, it was so cleverly written and crafted. Sure hope the author is working on more!

Tracey - Your dad's woodworking skills were neat. If I lived close to you or Michele, I'd go to Ceramics with you. Beautiful work, both of you. <3

Kylia - So glad you had a good time at the play. Nice photo of young you and your daughter. ;)

Michele - my lower back gets tricky and if I catch it right away and put ice on it for 20 minutes and take an ibuprofen, I can generally get it settled down. Every morning I do some stretches that my PT taught me, including bridges, cat & camel, etc.

Heather - Terri - Tina - Annie - ALL of you who told about your workouts -THANK YOU!!! I dug out my log sheets from when I started and am ready to go again.

Over the years, every time I'd work out with the dumbbells and ankle weights, I'd log how much weight, how many sets. It was beneficial to flip through and see my progress over time. I know I'll have to start with lower weights again.

The book "Strong Women Stay Young" advises this and gives a sample log sheet.

Heather - 20 lbs - you are awesome. I thought I was doing good when I hit 10# a few years ago.

Rain today, no walking. Hit the grocery stores early - they are out of a lot of things but I was able to substitute. The stunner was $4 for a 2# head of red cabbage. :#

Make it a fabulous weekend!! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,169 Member
    I'm new to this group and excited to be here. I've been off and on MFP for several years. I'm 53 and would like to lose weight to become healthier for hip surgery.

Bitta in Chicago

:) Welcome to a fantastic support group. It helps me to read this thread while I eat breakfast so I am reminded of what's important as I start my day

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,257 Member
    Michele, I’m sorry about the sciatica. I know how painful that can be. I got it every time I got pregnant. (3 times). I knew I was pregnant the last time as it kicked in way before I even went to the doctor to confirm it.

Tracy, It saddens me when one of these icons passes. Makes me feel older as I grew up with them.
    Machka, Nice job on the river rock! Looks nice. Wish I could see it in person.
    Viv,UK—I’ve never had many of the foods on that list. It would be an adventure for me to try them!
    Heather--I do Christmas cards, but no one ever sends any news in them. At least they had sign them and not have their name printed too!
    Rosemarie
    My mom (86 YO) has someone come clean her house, but she cleans it herself first! Doesn’t want to make a bad impression. LOL
    Welcome Bitta! Come back often!
    Lanette—I need to get that book “Strong Women Stay Young” might be just what I need

RVRita
  • pipcd34
    Stats for the day-

Walk chispas and Lucy- 1hr 56min 54sec, 53elev, 3.15ap, 104ahr, 124mhr, 6.20mi= 640c
    Strava app = 759c
    Walk w/yogi- 1hr 39min 24sec, 68elev, 3.60ap, 104ahr, 124mhr, 6mi= 562c
    Strava app = 735c

Total cal 1202

Lucy got to walk her 4mi full walk.
    Kirby took yogi with him so I walked the two first then when yogi got home I walked him by himself.

Total miles walked- 12.2 miles
  • dlfk202000
    got our shopping done with out getting too wet. Had my new rain coat and rain boots on so I was ready for it.
    Stopped at the Mexican Grocery store for lots of produce- got my avocados(got 12), two papaya that were small(good beings I am the only one here that will eat them), jicama, baby carrots, pears,zucchini, kabocha squash,green onions, mango and fresh ginger- all that was just under $20.
    Then went to the Filipino grocery store. Their price on produce was high but I did get some bok choy and then kamaboko(fish cake) to go in some soup this week
    I LOVE having the different ethnic grocery stores. This Mexican store and one of the Filipino in town are not just little markets but full size grocery stores.
    Stopped at one Grocery Outlet(skipped the one downtown) and went to Dollar Tree and 99cent store. Got a few more winter craft supplies and ones I will use for St. Patrick's day from the 90% off Christmas stuff.

Coming home, dh was complaining that he was hungry but didn't know what he wanted. I suggested grilled ham and cheese and some soup.
    His comment was, " To be honest with you, I don't really like grilled sandwiches"- I asked him WHY had he never said anything. Married over 30 yrs and never said a thing. I thought he liked them.
    The beginning of that phrase is also something that really bothers me. When he says "to be honest with you......" WHAT, usually you are lying to me ?!?!? That is how it sounds to me. He says I am taking it wrong.
    I am guilty of not saying anything when he does things that bother me- Need to work on it.
    I did speak up a little. He was complaining about the store manager cutting his hours(he is sure she is out to get him) and it will mess up our medical. I reminded him of what he had said before about it being for the month coming up, not the month we are in- He didn't like the comment, gave a dirty look and then just kept driving. He really doesn't like it if someone doesn't agree with what he is saying. Oh well, he isn't always right, like he thinks he is.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,615 Member
    edited January 2023
    kevrit wrote: »
    Lanette—I need to get that book “Strong Women Stay Young” might be just what I need

RVRita

Ladies !!!

There's a 126 page pdf called "Growing Stronger- Strength Training for Older Adults" - it has a lot of the Strong Women Stay Young information in it. In fact, it was produced by Tuft's University, where the original SWSF research was done by Miriam Nelson.

It's a free educational tool, copyright 2002.

Here's a link of anyone wants to download a copy-

https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/11447

Lanette B)

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,702 Member
    Lanette Thank you! I just downloaded it. I did laugh at the statement about your health care provider knowing you personally. I have only had a couple like that and it has been years. Maybe this new one will stick around for a while and get to know me (and realize that I know something about my body)

To whichever one of you (sorry don't remember who) said walking in the dark was preferred.My walk was wonderful. Our driveway goes downhill to the gate about 1000 ft, plus a circle at the top. With the new blacktop, it was an easier walk in the dark (no falling in potholes!) I got 3000 steps. The moon is so bright tonight and for the first time in weeks we have a clear night with a million stars! It was beautiful. I would have only been happier if it had been a little warmer. 34 degrees F is a little chilly for me, but the wind wasn't blowing.

Debbie I would love to have some ethnic groceries especially Filipino. I miss my chicken adobo, fried rice, pancit, and lumpia! My DH won't eat it though....There are probably some further away, but I tend to stay close to home for time. I do want to stop at the grocery for some avocados though. I like them and understand they are a great source of fiber and healthy fats. My DH will eat just about anything I put on his plate. Afterwards, he will tell me that I do or don't have to make it again. ;) He likes grilled cheese with one slice of American and either bacon or ham on it. I want Cheese, more cheese, and maybe a tomato.

Was trying to figure out what to have for dinner (DH not home yet) My oatmeal was a really long time ago. Remembered we had leftover Bison burgers that I made for dinner Wednesday night. Speaking of fried rice....I think I will take my burger, some uncle ben's rice, frozen veggies (easy), and mix me up some. He can then have his as a burger. Plan!

<3
    Kylia where it is dinner time in OHio
  • pipcd34
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,493 Member
    The plan for tomorrow is to do another section of Kristin Dowell’s Dressed Up Drills DVD

M – isn’t it SO MUCH fun to move river rock? I moved about 25 tons of it and I don’t ever want to look at another river rock as long as I live. We had to have the rock delivered, it would have been too heavy for the SUV. They put it on the front lawn then I had to shovel the rock into a sifter to get off the river dirt, then shovel it into a Gorilla cart (worth its weight in gold) then haul it to where we needed it. Was that ever fun!!!! <snicker>

Ordered new handrails for the pool and spa. I don’t really know why, but when we had the pool installed they gave us stainless steel handrails. You can imagine how hot stainless steel gets in NC in July and august. So we ordered these handrails from this place in FL. They are coated with something that doesn’t get as hot. The bad thing is that they have to be a color, no stainless steel. But on the bright side, it may very well have some texture to it so that reduces your chances of your hand slipping

Also ordered this handrail for the steps in the garage. We noticed that when Lynette was here, she had to hold onto the doorframe as she went down the 3 stairs. Others have, too. So we’re getting a handrail for one side.

Happy Birthday Miles! Always love seeing pics of you that your grandmother posts

Carla – perhaps one reason you’ve never tried haggis is because it’s banned in the US

Deb – yes, I do that stretch. Not sure why it flares up. The Ben Gay seems to be helping a bit. Used Aspercream when I went to work because it doesn’t smell. But I don’t think it works that well. Vince doesn’t, either so we threw away the tube, Do you remember when allie posted “shhh...Tracey is pregnant but isn’t telling anyone just yet”. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Bitta – welcome!

Making spaghetti squash in the IP since it was on sale. Even the sale price of things has gone up!

Since Vince said the avocado brownies were good, I made more. But I’m still “accidentally” not mentioning the avocado in them.

Lanette – the only problem when logging your weights is that I’ve found that over the years, I seem to need a bit lighter weights to keep my form. Not much lighter.

After making the brownies, and then have church, I probably won’t have time to go for a walk (boo). Maybe I’ll stop at Food Lion on my way back from church. Just can’t pass up a good sale! And I can only use the coupon once/day

Looks like I have to return the new hose reel. Seems when vince hooked it up and turned the water on, the force of the water blew the handle off. It looks like the bottom of the box wasn’t sealed real well when it was delivered and perhaps a part got lost.

I do think that that BenGay is helping. Just hope it continues to help

Michele NC