WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,366 Member
    Kim - getting a little worried about you... are you or your family getting impacted by the Northern California flood?
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    KJ - the family are about the same walking distance from us as before - 30 mins. They don't have a parking permit as yet, but it should arrive this week. We usually walk to them or my son picks us up. At the moment, they only have one key, so Bea is coming to us after school for a while. Edie is jealous! Can't wait to see their place. :D
    Thank you for reading and liking my book. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Hi Gals,
    Lisa - I am so happy to hear Bella is back, I hope you and Corey have figured out a place for her that she feels safe, even if it is not inside the house.

Winter rain storm- it is a lot of rain, and last night quite a bit of wind, but the problems I have are minor, same with my Mom’s home, some branches around the yard, a trash can blew over and made a mess… Some of my friends in more rural areas have lost cable and/or power. California has made a big push to go all electric in part of the state’s climate goals, but our largest electricity provider hasn’t kept the infrastructure up to accommodate storms/wild fire/ and the addition of roof top solar. So folks who have embraced the all electric are either doing diesel generators (the opposite of the goals LOL)/battery walls/or having no heat/cooking/hot water… I have gas cooking, the fireplace, and 2 BBQs that take briquets and one that takes gas, so I am a bit more prepared. But living in earthquake country I was always part of family preparation as a kid and have kept it up as an adult.

Tracey – what a beautiful hope chest!

I glanced at the 200 things to toss and was amazed at how many of those things I have and use either daily or weekly.

This time of year for me is one of quiet and re-grouping as I am not working 12 hour days and all 7 days of the week, January is recovery time for me as October – December are so busy for embroidery. This year I put a large number of clients off until January so it is busier than I am used to.

One comment on the boots/stilettoes you gals had me laughing so hard as until my mom was in her late 70’s she wore stilettoes with 4 – 5 inch heels to many things, and 3 inch high heels to everything else. She did wear flats around the house, gardening, house cleaning etc. The doctor finally told her she had to be in flats, they were just safer. She had a wonderful collection of black patent leather, some with a ankle strap, some with peak-a-boo toes. So for her definition, it is boots – just boots……

Smiles Kim in N. California
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Kim we are glad you are doing well through the storms.

Katla that sounds like an excellent arrangement for you and DH.

I just suggested my dad eat peanut butter on his white toast instead of honey because he is prediabetic. He made a lame joke and ignored me. I guess every stage of caregiving has its trials.

Next I am trying to arrange a haircut for Mom. She thinks she can do it herself. Toddlers listen better than seniors!

Annie in Delaware

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,818 Member
    2023 GOALS
    Word of the year: Appreciate : Sound funndy but a working sewer. Living in an RV you need to have access to a dump station (sewer). We can go 4 days without 'dumping' but there is construction on the dump station and sewer lines today and this week making me appreciate when it works!

Gratitude list

1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think —DONE
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses. Seeing my dogs all curled up sleeping, smelling my essential oils, tasting good food, hearing the quiet while walking, feeling the wind on my skin
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house. Gotta work on this one! I tossed Christmas cards from previous years. More than 5 there.
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)—This year was jewelry from my ‘adopted’ granddaughter.
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today--To be completed
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten
    minutes...
    RVRita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,818 Member
    Debbie, Napa Valley -Dlfk202000-Tip-toeing around DH, I totally understand but have mostly stopped that. I have no inlaws to help with anything. They both have passed. First DH MIL was supportive though. Second was supportive when she was alive. But gone for more than 10 years now…
    Poor Destiny. Praying her pain subsides quickly and for a quick release from the hospital.
    Barbara Southern Oregon-auntiebk
    Vickil57 ---I like your idea of fasting electronics. That would be really difficult for me!
    Annie in Delaware -Aniesquats100---good luck with your Dad and finances! My sister is taking care of my Mom’s finances. Both did it willingly luckily!
    Julie, Michigan –jez6915 Great job on step 1!
    Fancy0626-
    Allie, CT –grandmallie glad your brother was able to help out! Hard to help when it’s not wanted. Also hard to let things out of our control, out of our hands.
    Carol in GA – 1948CWB----Good luck with your BIL
    Whidislander, Rebecca, Whidbey WA---It’s hard to step back from things out of our control.

Bwcetc, Beth near Buffalo, I love rocking chairs too! I even have one for outside the RV!
    PG. 13 done and my attempt at learning/re-learning people names and locations has begun!
    RVRita
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house. I posted 7 items on the Buy Nothing site - new slippers, a trivet, sippy cups, gift cup with scrubby thing, old Aqua Velva, my old Seal-A-Meal, and a Celestial Seasonings tin can.

4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever). My entire family donated a Heifer International gift in my name - so satisfying.

5 Move for at least 30 minutes today. Already done. Took the pups for their first walk at 4:00 a.m.; it was cool, dark, misty, and quiet. Lovely.
  • pipcd34
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Lisa so glad to hear Bella is back home.

So far there is no sign of the snow that has been forecast. In fact it's been quite mild today. Keeping fingers crossed that it passes us by.

I've started exercising again, using small weights - I have no upper body strength. I've lost a few pounds with being ill over Christmas, so thought it would be a good time to get back to it. I'm building up slowly as I still feel exhausted by the afternoon. I'm mindful of what I am eating too, but not counting the calories yet.

Katla glad your husband is home with you.

Prayers for Destiny, it certainly puts things into perspective as Michele said.

Think I'll get myself off to bed, so much more I wanted to say, but my mind has gone blank.

Love to all <3
    Viv UK
  • pipcd34
    edited January 2023
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/kids- 1hr 58min 20sec, 83elev, 2.98ap, 99ahr, 126mhr, 6.15mi= 660c
    Strava app = 754c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 13.23min, 39elev, 172aw, 22.8amph, 119ahr, 150mhr, 5.08mi= 114c
    Strava app = 131c
    Zwift stats- 13.24min, 42elev, 170aw, 58arpm, 22.75amph, 5.08mi= 131c

Total cal 774

Didn’t get to walk Lucy her last full 4 mi, need to give her quick time to fully heal
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,936 Member

dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I totally agree with you on the fan in the bathroom. Both of ours is one that is light/fan combination. We have replaced them a few times, supposed to be quiet but not quiet enough for me. I HATE the noise.
    I take almost all of my showers in the dark because of it- a lot more relaxing without the bright light and the loud noise.

Really? My husband seems sensitive to fan noise too. I like fan noise because it helps drown out my tinnitus so I'll leave the bathroom fan on and turn other fans on around the house and at work. But he goes around turning them off because he says they're noisy.

dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I have tip-toed around dh for the past 30 yrs(and former hubby for 7 while we were married). Working on changing that, finally.

Debbie
    Napa Valley

What would happen if you didn't tip toe around your husband and if you just said whatever was on your mind?

bwcetc wrote: »
    Gray and miserable weather here today. Ran some errands. Paid some bills ... with checks Machka... otherwise told to use a credit card??? We're having leftovers for dinner which no one is too excited about. I'll be in bed early.

Beth near Buffalo

No direct deposit or online bill payment options?

M in Oz[/quote]

I have a small fan I put in the window during the summer and can fall asleep to that noise but the bathroom one is very annoying to me- not calming at all. It is supposed to be a quieter version to what we used to have. It is better but still terrible.

What will happen if I stop tip toeing around- not sure but need to start finding out. Hard to change a behaviour after so many years. I don't like confrontation so I usually just stay quiet. Afraid of the outcome

Debbie

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Good morning ladies! <3

Strength training survey[/b]: Does anyone in this group do strength training on a regular/semi-regular basis and if so, what does it consist of- machines? Free weights? Combo? at the gym or home?

Several years ago I was doing so well with the Strong Women Stay Young program here at home with dumbbells and ankle weights. Then my shoulder acted up. After that, hernia surgery. Haven't gotten back on the horse since.

Lisa - so glad Bella returned. Would be neat if she could talk and tell about her experience at the neighbor's house. :p Hope Kels can arrange a quick visit to get her that's not too strenuous. Also, seeing that photo of Corey with working on your stove with Egg supervising made my heart leap. Handsome AND handy! :p Sorry you had to buy a new stove, glad you expressed your opinion to Lowe's.

Barbara - good luck weathering the storm, hope you don't lose power. Sounds like you are very well prepared. Do you lose power often? We've lost power, days at a time, twice out here. Once when we lived near Seattle, then again on the farm during cold weather. Each time we did have a woodstove, good for heat and cooking and boiling water. We lost power in the morning a couple days ago, I had let the fire go out in the woodstove. Had it relit in a flash, of course once it got good and hot the power came back on. But we never know. In Pip's old neighborhood near Tacoma, vandals have damaged substations and areas were without power. It could happen here. :(

Debbie - good luck to you too in the storm department. Thank you for the updates on Destiny. How is she doing spirit wise? Hope the new femur will improve her quality of life and reduce pain. Sending prayers as well.

Jeannie in NM - good for you ditching the plastic laundry soap containers. I've been tempted to give those laundry sheets a try. I've tried various brands of pods and they all leave bits of residue/slime on some articles of clothing. Lately I've been clipping them with scissors over the washer, squeezing out the liquid detergent, then tossing the remains of the pod in the garbage. As far as I know, our state has banned plastic straws. I wish they'd go one step further and pressure manufacturers to curtail using plastics in other areas while they are at it. My opinion. ;) Maybe they have, I don't keep up on the news.

Rosemarie - finding a group sounds ideal for you. My walking partner reminded me we all grieve differently, and that's OK. Thinking back, when my mother died, I powered through it no problem. About a year later, my sweet dog became ill, the vet couldn't figure out what was going on. I remember holding Bear in my lap and crying to beat the band. Probably grief from Mom's passing. Bear lasted a few more years, pretty healthy. :D

Rebecca - your taco salad sounds so yummy! Kudo's to you for finding your rhythm with IF and happy it's working well for you. Always love seeing that beautiful Athena.

Ladies - is it just me or are all of the grandkids of you gals here exceptional in some way? <3

Allie - thinking about Kyle's temper. I think most guys aren't good at dealing with worry and anxiety and tend to take it out on whoever is closest. I wonder if he's worried about paying the bills with the electricity rates going up, or some problem at work? My DH had a temper too sometimes and I figured I had done something wrong (never sure what!) and would tiptoe. I finally confronted him about it (I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed hearing us "discuss" it in the back yard!) It took a lot of work but I realized if I questioned him "how's it going with that crazy guy at work" or "are your feet hurting today?" and letting him speak about some of his troubles really took the pressure off. And he became somewhat human again, lol.

The landscapers came yesterday and WOW. What a big difference, they did a great job. Very hard workers, tutored me in Spanish a little. :D I told them I wanted to learn it and that's all it took. I'm now on their list for tamales next time they make a batch and I can hardly wait. :p DH had a Spanish phrase book I dug out after they left and I'm going to practice. Several store clerks are Hispanic and that's a good place for me to start.

OK better close. I've been working on this for a couple hours. Glad for the "draft" feature.

Make it a beautiful day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Strength training: semi regularly. Home gym with free weights, weight bench and Pilates machine.

Also gardening with a lot of lifting and carrying and trekking up and down stairs and hills.

Also climbing stairs.

Machka in Oz